RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Quality of Japan vs. Canada built RX330's

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 10:32 AM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Quality of Japan vs. Canada built RX330's

I know this has been discussed before, but since there are still some Japan produced units out there, I wanted to know the views on this board. It will cost me to go with the Japan unit because it is packaged with the Mark L stereo and the DVD, which I could care less about especially since it doesn't connect w/ the iPod.

Are there specific areas where the J's are better than the C's?

Another way of asking is "If you had the choice of buying two identical cars, one from J and the other from C, what would you chose, and why?

Dazed and confused in TX
Old 10-17-05, 01:45 PM
SteveRX330
Rookie

Dear dazed and confused in Texas,

With regard to Japanese vs. Canadian (or for that matter US) built cars, I would always select Japanese manufactured cars first, regardless of brand/model. I have several friends in the automotive business who work in sales and service for American Honda Motors (incl. Acura) and Toyota (incl. Lexus). Universally, they recommend Japanese cars first for quality. I cannot quantify the quality variance, or for that matter whether the differences are real or perceived, but I've heard the statement so many times that I believe it's true.

Having said that, I hasten to add that I've owned my RX330 for two months now and am very pleased with the quality; my car was manufactured in Canada. I would also offer that I'm extremely fussy with my car and very particular with how it runs and looks. Since money is always a factor for me, I don't think I would pay extra for the Japanese model, especially given the overall quality of this vehicle.

Steve
Old 10-17-05, 03:08 PM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveRX330
Dear dazed and confused in Texas,

With regard to Japanese vs. Canadian (or for that matter US) built cars, I would always select Japanese manufactured cars first, regardless of brand/model. I have several friends in the automotive business who work in sales and service for American Honda Motors (incl. Acura) and Toyota (incl. Lexus). Universally, they recommend Japanese cars first for quality. I cannot quantify the quality variance, or for that matter whether the differences are real or perceived, but I've heard the statement so many times that I believe it's true.
That has been my perception also.

Having said that, I hasten to add that I've owned my RX330 for two months now and am very pleased with the quality; my car was manufactured in Canada. I would also offer that I'm extremely fussy with my car and very particular with how it runs and looks. Since money is always a factor for me, I don't think I would pay extra for the Japanese model, especially given the overall quality of this vehicle.

Steve
Thanks Steve, that's the kind info I need. I was even thinking of dumping the NAV just to get a Japan mfg. unit. Like you, I still have to ask the price!
Old 10-18-05, 04:59 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Model year 2004 was a bad year for both plants. The RX330 was a new design, and it had a number of challenges. Both plants produced units with a lot of rattles and other annoyances, and the quirky transmission comes out of both plants. Canada got a worse reputation, though, because of a couple of component failures that led to big problems (for a Lexus, anyway). A batch of radiators was bad - they cracked in the cold - leading to a recall. The brake booster had a similar problem; I don't believe it got recalled, but it can be argued that it should be.

There are members here that have actually visited the plant in Canada, and they'll tell you that they were VERY impressed with what they saw. There's no reason the Canada plant can't be on par with the plants in Japan.

Since we're all here as owners of a Japanese brand, we all have the perception that the highest quality cars come from Japan. Therefore, the units made in Canada can't be the "real thing." Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of empirical data one way or the other. There are several posts along the lines of "mine had this problem, and it was made in Canada, so Canada must be inferior." Well, my 2004 was made in Japan in July 2003, and it had all the rattles and clunks, so I could easily say that "the Japanese plant is turning out lower quality." But we all know (or believe?) it's not - the problems were related to an unproven design, and almost all were fixed later. Naturally, I'm very happy with my car now, but it wasn't perfect from day one.

I would advise that if the country of manufacture is important to you, then I'd look for one made in Japan. Otherwise, you'll be second-guessing yourself as long as you've got the car, and you'll blame every little thing on the fact that it was made in Canada. If the country doesn't matter, then don't worry about it, and odds are that you won't have any problems either way.
Old 10-18-05, 05:48 AM
krpster
Rookie

Originally Posted by rxdriver
Model year 2004 was a bad year for both plants. The RX330 was a new design, and it had a number of challenges. Both plants produced units with a lot of rattles and other annoyances, and the quirky transmission comes out of both plants. Canada got a worse reputation, though, because of a couple of component failures that led to big problems (for a Lexus, anyway). A batch of radiators was bad - they cracked in the cold - leading to a recall. The brake booster had a similar problem; I don't believe it got recalled, but it can be argued that it should be.

There are members here that have actually visited the plant in Canada, and they'll tell you that they were VERY impressed with what they saw. There's no reason the Canada plant can't be on par with the plants in Japan.

Since we're all here as owners of a Japanese brand, we all have the perception that the highest quality cars come from Japan. Therefore, the units made in Canada can't be the "real thing." Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of empirical data one way or the other. There are several posts along the lines of "mine had this problem, and it was made in Canada, so Canada must be inferior." Well, my 2004 was made in Japan in July 2003, and it had all the rattles and clunks, so I could easily say that "the Japanese plant is turning out lower quality." But we all know (or believe?) it's not - the problems were related to an unproven design, and almost all were fixed later. Naturally, I'm very happy with my car now, but it wasn't perfect from day one.

I would advise that if the country of manufacture is important to you, then I'd look for one made in Japan. Otherwise, you'll be second-guessing yourself as long as you've got the car, and you'll blame every little thing on the fact that it was made in Canada. If the country doesn't matter, then don't worry about it, and odds are that you won't have any problems either way.
Well said!
Old 10-18-05, 07:10 AM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxdriver
You are on the mark...... I have memories of the ML350. It took years for Mercedes to "get it right" here in the US, if they ever did, but the thought lingers. It's difficult to manage work ethic, and I think that's all you can do....manage, not change.

BTW, how is the paint on the hood? Any paint chips? It's one of those annoying things I worry about, and there are a number of complaints about chipping. Maybe we could do a survey
Old 10-24-05, 01:12 PM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

I was told by the dealer that All '06 AWD's were made in Canada, and 2WD were a mix of Japan and Canada. Can anyone confirm the AWD's?
Old 10-25-05, 06:46 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I just checked the website for a local dealer, and the majority of the '06s is indeed Canadian. However, I did find a Japanese one, which is also AWD.
Old 10-25-05, 07:28 PM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caha14
I just checked the website for a local dealer, and the majority of the '06s is indeed Canadian. However, I did find a Japanese one, which is also AWD.
Thanks for checking! I had a feeling that I had seen an AWD '06 JTJ on the lot a few weeks ago, but I didn't write it down. My dealer says that no AWD's are coming from Japan now.... hmmmm!

BTW, how were you able to check inventory?

Last edited by willinak; 10-25-05 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-26-05, 06:41 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by willinak
Thanks for checking! I had a feeling that I had seen an AWD '06 JTJ on the lot a few weeks ago, but I didn't write it down. My dealer says that no AWD's are coming from Japan now.... hmmmm!

BTW, how were you able to check inventory?
You're very welcome! Gotta love it how some people at dealerships would rather talk out of their derrieres than say "let me check" or "I don't know"...

Typically, dealers that have their own website (in addition to the "standardized" Lexus site) allow you to search their new car inventory. In my area, there are 2 of those: www.iralexus.com (this is the one I checked yesterday) and www.herbchambers.com. The others just have the standard fare where you can only search used car inventory.
Old 10-27-05, 10:54 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...no matter where is made for the first year redesign (2004) they will always have all sorts of problems. That's why they always suggest NOT to get the first year's model. You gotta wait till all the bugs get fixed first!!

But, in my opinion....The cars made in Japan have a better quality inspection than those in Canada. I've heard too many problems from the Canadian built ones.
Old 10-28-05, 04:08 AM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Well...no matter where is made for the first year redesign (2004) they will always have all sorts of problems. That's why they always suggest NOT to get the first year's model. You gotta wait till all the bugs get fixed first!!

But, in my opinion....The cars made in Japan have a better quality inspection than those in Canada. I've heard too many problems from the Canadian built ones.

Well, that has been my take all along. What I am running into is that the dealer says that all '06 AWD's are now made in Canada. I'm having a little trouble believing that, but I suppose it is possible. Most 400h's I've seen are Japanese.
Does anyone here have a Japanese (JTJ XXXX) '06 AWD ?
Old 10-28-05, 08:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by willinak

Well, that has been my take all along. What I am running into is that the dealer says that all '06 AWD's are now made in Canada. I'm having a little trouble believing that, but I suppose it is possible. Most 400h's I've seen are Japanese.
Does anyone here have a Japanese (JTJ XXXX) '06 AWD ?
All RX400h's are exclusively made at the Toyota Kyushu plant. That is the reason why you've been seeing alot more Canadian made RX330 2wd & 4wd...because allocation for Japan has shifted towards more Hybrid production. You will see less "JT" RX's and see more "2T" RX's starting from earlier this year in 2005.

An easier way to tell if an RX is Canadian or Japanese made is the glass etching on all the glass pieces. The Japanese glass uses regular white etched lettering with Lexus and Nippon Safety on it. The Canadian ones are all black lettering. Both are the same solar energy absorbing green glass either made by United or LOF.

Last edited by flipside909; 10-28-05 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-28-05, 11:25 AM
OUMalibu
Rookie

I have a 2004 RX made in Japan and it has not lived up to the build quality I found in my previous two Lexuses.

The tranny is wonky and I have a couple of annoying squeaks and rattles. Also, the trim panel on the back of the driver's seat wasn't installed properly and had to be fixed at the dealership. And, some of the electronics weren't programmed correctly at the factory (like the moonroof conttrols) and I still have some weird electrical issues, like the rear tailgate refusing to open and the side mirror sometimes pointing downward when I back up and sometimes not.

I'm strongly considering a new IS350 but worry about the same 'first year' problems.

Last edited by OUMalibu; 10-28-05 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-19-05, 08:01 PM
jk5598224
Driver School Candidate

Default jk5598224

Hello my new 06 AWD is JTJH, I assume it is from Japan?

JTJHA31UXxxxxxxx

Quick Reply: Quality of Japan vs. Canada built RX330's