RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Sport Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 08:49 AM
Distal77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Sport Equipment

I'm looking to improve my 2004 RX330 suspension.
Especially the excessive nose dip on hard braking and some body roll.
Improved shocks appear to be the easiest starting point.........

I owned a 1999 Acura TL and had similar problems.
I upgraded to the 2002 TLs (sport) and performance improved dramatically.

Any suggestions on maintaining a decent ride while improving the RX handling?
Any specific items or locations for sportier RX330 equipment?

Regards
Old 10-05-05, 02:39 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

H&R lower spring at www.tirerack.com
Old 10-05-05, 08:54 PM
thwang99
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How do H&R's compare to Tanabe and Eibach pro-kits?

- Tony
Old 10-06-05, 10:28 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thwang99
How do H&R's compare to Tanabe and Eibach pro-kits?

- Tony
I had Eibach progressive spring on my 94 Altima, a little too bumpy for me. H&R is 100% made in Germany, it is rare in this day of age of outsourcing manufacturing to China. I just lowered the front of my 2000 Acura TL with H&R Sport Spring and Bilstein Sport shocks, I can tell H&R's steel is lighter than stock. H&R's web claims it is a special steel that is 15% lighter but stronger. I can tell you more after I lower my Acura's rear axel this weekend.
Old 10-06-05, 03:27 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Last time I emailed Tanabe a few months ago they did not have anything available for the 04+ RX330 even though some places list it as such. It seems like H&R and Eibach are the only readily available springs for us. I ordered H&R from Tire Rack but they set me a set of Eibachs instead so that is what I have on my 04. Handling wise you definately can feel the difference. Less body roll and a bit stiffer. Not bad at all though even with my 20" rims. As for lowering, the front is somewhat noticeable, but the rear you can barely tell it was lowered at all. Measured wise it came out to maybe 1/2" while the front got about a inch or so. Compared to a stock RX330 you can tell, but looking at it by itself you wouldn't know it was lowered at all. I guess going from a 4" gap to a 2.5-3" gab doesn't really do much for the eye. Hopefully one of you can try H&R and show us how it lowered the RX330 because I don't want to switch if the H&R doesn't do much better or if full adjustable coil overs come out soon.
Old 10-06-05, 06:00 PM
Distal77
Driver School Candidate

The 2000 TL is a great car.
I'm not sure what they did between my 1999 and the 2002 TLs but the
ride was the same and it handled much better.

Are you guys saying I should try the H&R short springs without updating the shocks?
It's fine by me, but thought the two went hand-in-hand. Thanks for the link to the Tire Rack.
I've just installed their Bridgestone H/L Dueler Alenza's on my RX 330 and the wife's
Highlander. These have to be much better in light snow than the original tires that were
scary. First time in rain with these new tires I felt very comfortable. Nice change, a bit less
sway (stronger side walls?) and just a spec more road noise but a great trade-off.

So try the springs first..................

Anybody else try wringing more performance out of the '04 RX 330 ?
Regards and thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-06-05, 06:45 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Distal77
The 2000 TL is a great car.
I'm not sure what they did between my 1999 and the 2002 TLs but the
ride was the same and it handled much better.

Are you guys saying I should try the H&R short springs without updating the shocks?
It's fine by me, but thought the two went hand-in-hand. Thanks for the link to the Tire Rack.
I've just installed their Bridgestone H/L Dueler Alenza's on my RX 330 and the wife's
Highlander. These have to be much better in light snow than the original tires that were
scary. First time in rain with these new tires I felt very comfortable. Nice change, a bit less
sway (stronger side walls?) and just a spec more road noise but a great trade-off.

So try the springs first..................

Anybody else try wringing more performance out of the '04 RX 330 ?
Regards and thanks for the feedback.
Type S has stiffer suspension (e.g. rear sway bar is 1mm bigger). It is better to install sports shocks along w/ springs because stock shocks are not designed to take abuses caused by lowering springs. That is why coilover is so good since shock and spring are designed by one company.
Old 10-07-05, 03:27 PM
Distal77
Driver School Candidate

I appreciated the link and info. Found a local Acura, Lexus performance house.
He suggested one step at a time beginning with the H&R sport shocks. The shorter
springs will put some tension on the shocks and limit range of motion. If the
Lexus Rx330 only has 40k miles he suggests to do the shock and spring individually.

The coil over deal might be a bit more aggressive and expensive.
He likened them more to small, low ground, street racer type application.
I really don't know but at least this business owner isn't steering me to the highest cost
items initially.

Thanks again for getting me going in a straighter path.

Regards
Old 10-07-05, 07:18 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Just keep in mind that if you decide to upgrade shocks later, you have to pay for the labor and 4 wheel alignment again. The shop obviously does not make $ off parts, be careful they have incentive to make $ off labor. The shop owner is right that stock shock may wear out a faster but probably have lots of life left. It is all up to you.
Old 10-08-05, 12:17 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

I've been running my Eibacks on the stock shocks since about 38K miles. I have abouty 42K now. So far so good. I've run Eibachs on stock shocks on other cars before and had no problems for at least a good 50K miles. The Eibachs and H&R are claimed to work with stock shocks. They are stiffer, but not too much so. If you are handy doing things yourself and have the tooks you might be able to do the spring swap yourself. I was able to swap my Eibach's onto the stock shocks and reinstalled all within 3-4 hours in my garage working by myself. The alignment still needs to be done my a shop though.
Old 10-08-05, 12:48 PM
Distal77
Driver School Candidate

I'm very encouraged by these helpfull posts.
I've told the installer to buy the sport shocks and call me with date.

I'm open to other performance modifications and will evaluate
this performance shop's first step.
Old 10-11-05, 10:29 PM
ppmyip
Driver School Candidate

I have changed the spring to Espelir sport spring, along with the stock shocks. Performance improved alot, plus I found that this springs lower the car more than H & R or Eibach. As i remember the website shown it lowers 55-60mm, which is around 2.5 inches. Makes my car looks better now, as I'm running 20" wheels. The rear spring does the job, it's hard enough that can remain the similar height even 3 people sit at the back with luggages.
Old 10-12-05, 02:57 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ppmyip
I have changed the spring to Espelir sport spring, along with the stock shocks. Performance improved alot, plus I found that this springs lower the car more than H & R or Eibach. As i remember the website shown it lowers 55-60mm, which is around 2.5 inches. Makes my car looks better now, as I'm running 20" wheels. The rear spring does the job, it's hard enough that can remain the similar height even 3 people sit at the back with luggages.
Where did you get the Espelir springs for the RX330? I might looking into swapping out my Eibach's for that set instead. Thanks.

Chris
Old 10-12-05, 06:02 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Hi PPMYIP,

How's the ride quality after you install the springs? I assume if they lowered the car for 2.5" with stock shocks they gotta be super-stiff in order to maintain the load rate. How many miles do you have them on the car so far? Did you notice any leak on the shocks (assuming they are oil-filled).

Man I wish Tein has coilovers similar to the CS or wagon series for the RX400h.
Old 10-12-05, 08:47 AM
ppmyip
Driver School Candidate

Hi Chris,

I bought that spring from Hong Kong, originally I was going to get Tanabe GF210, however they are out of stock and need to wait, therefore I take Espelir. You may check if there's any distributor in US or if any shop can bring them in.

Patrick

Quick Reply: RX330 Sport Equipment