RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus 3500Ib tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 04:25 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The latest wiring harness has a 4pin connector arranged in a line. New trailers will have female plugs that fit. Older trailers may have pins arranged in a cirucular pattern. you can get an adapter just about anywhere those kinds of things are sold. Uhaul. We got one at Lowes.
Old 08-14-08, 04:11 PM
Tazimi
Driver School Candidate

I finally installed my OEM hitch from www.lexuspartsonline.com. Entered in part # PT22848045 and got it for $212 +25 shipping...woohoo! Dealer install would have costed $250 + 10.25% tax...ouch! So I bit the bullet and made it a DIY project...well, fyi, it's not really a do it yourself, since the part is pretty darn heavy to lift when you are under the car. So I got a couple of friends, a couple of beers and woohoo, install in about an hour and fifteen...probably would have been shorter if we didn't stop taking beer breaks, but I like the look of it. Didn't install the electrical yet, since I don't need it to carry around bikes, but I will do it later. Just plugged the grommet in the hole and it tucked away nice and neat. I really like the look of it and the fact that you can save a ton of money ordering online and DIY and kick back and have a few beers with some friends made it all worth it. I do not consider myself a grease monkey, but if you can follow instructions and read all the posts on this, this task really wasn't that hard...I just wish I had tools to do everything...hmmm, while the friends are drunk, I might have to help myself to a torque wrench and some nice tools....j/k!
Old 08-14-08, 09:13 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I am surprised that these SUV's could tow anything given the transmission history that I've read on the forum. Are all these hitches being installed on vehicles with a tow package? Does it come with a transmission cooler? If so, what does it look like? Ours is a used RX330 and it didn't come with the original sticker, so all I know is it's AWD. A great DIY thread otherwise, and sorry if I become the thread killer for all these questions.
Old 08-15-08, 01:12 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It will do no worse than some of the crappy GM and Ford trucks and SUVs out there--giant looking vehicles designed by pencil necked geeks without a clue! I once owned a full size GMC Jimmy that needed a U-joint replacement every 11K miles! I got really good at doing them!

Obviously you would prefer a towing package on the engine. Also, you are basically attaching a tow hitch to a sheet metal body in an RX, so you are not going to be pulling any 10 ton yatchs down the road. But for an ocasional haul-the-kids-junk-to-college sort of road trip, it will do fine.
Old 08-15-08, 03:23 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by biff44
Obviously you would prefer a towing package on the engine. Also, you are basically attaching a tow hitch to a sheet metal body in an RX, so you are not going to be pulling any 10 ton yatchs down the road. But for an ocasional haul-the-kids-junk-to-college sort of road trip, it will do fine.
What comes in the Lexus towing package? I can't find it on Edmund's for any used cars. On my Tahoe (sorry about your Jimmy) a transmission and oil cooler are part of a "tow" package. I don't how to tell if there's a tow package installed on mine since it's used...but since it has no hitch receiver, I'm assuming not. According to my manual it's a difference between towing 2000 vs 3500 lbs. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-14-09, 05:07 PM
PINGGOLF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tazimi
I finally installed my OEM hitch from www.lexuspartsonline.com. Entered in part # PT22848045 and got it for $212 +25 shipping...woohoo! Dealer install would have costed $250 + 10.25% tax...ouch! So I bit the bullet and made it a DIY project...well, fyi, it's not really a do it yourself, since the part is pretty darn heavy to lift when you are under the car. So I got a couple of friends, a couple of beers and woohoo, install in about an hour and fifteen...probably would have been shorter if we didn't stop taking beer breaks, but I like the look of it. Didn't install the electrical yet, since I don't need it to carry around bikes, but I will do it later. Just plugged the grommet in the hole and it tucked away nice and neat. I really like the look of it and the fact that you can save a ton of money ordering online and DIY and kick back and have a few beers with some friends made it all worth it. I do not consider myself a grease monkey, but if you can follow instructions and read all the posts on this, this task really wasn't that hard...I just wish I had tools to do everything...hmmm, while the friends are drunk, I might have to help myself to a torque wrench and some nice tools....j/k!
Hey! Hope your doing well!

I just ordered my hitch for my 07 400h from them and have yet to even get an email from them.

It has been 5 days so far. Their website does not have a phone number, only email.

How long did it take them to ship it to you?

Thanks so much!
Old 09-15-09, 02:47 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PINGGOLF
Hey! Hope your doing well!

I just ordered my hitch for my 07 400h from them and have yet to even get an email from them.

It has been 5 days so far. Their website does not have a phone number, only email.

How long did it take them to ship it to you?

Thanks so much!
PINGGOLF???

Do you also own a Genesis?
Old 09-16-09, 01:20 PM
biff44
Instructor

Nice pix!

One thing I can state unequivocally...if you leave the hitch ball in the receiver, and then accidentally walk into it...it is going to hurt like a mother for around 2 weeks!
Old 09-17-09, 08:20 PM
PINGGOLF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrocks
PINGGOLF???

Do you also own a Genesis?
HA!!! You found me! I Do!
Old 09-18-09, 04:43 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PINGGOLF
HA!!! You found me! I Do!
LOL I was reading your post about your new RX400h on the Genesis Forum. Yeah, it nice to have a second vehicle that gets "exceptional" mpg.

So, have you received your new hitch yet?
Old 09-21-09, 06:45 PM
PINGGOLF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrocks
LOL I was reading your post about your new RX400h on the Genesis Forum. Yeah, it nice to have a second vehicle that gets "exceptional" mpg.

So, have you received your new hitch yet?
Ahhhh...ok! AMEN to that

No, I have not received it yet nor any kind of email or communication from them. Its scary. I have been checking my bank account daily for any sign...but nothing yet.

I reckon I will have to put a stop payment on order...in the event they decide to debit my account.

I suppose I will try another vendor...
Old 09-22-09, 06:11 AM
biff44
Instructor

Make that 3 weeks!
Old 09-22-09, 06:57 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Yeah definitely stop that payment, the site looks shady. Click the FAQ tab and it doubles the header and takes you to a marketing page for a website-generation company. Not good.

I got my hitch earlier this year from www.lexuspartsmall.com The price was good, and I got it THE NEXT DAY. How you do overnight shipping for a 4 foot long, 56 lb box for $25 or whatever they charged me is beyond my comprehension.
Old 09-22-09, 05:41 PM
PINGGOLF
Driver School Candidate

STRANGE...I just received an email from "Champion Toyota" with a FEDEX tracking number.

I checked it out and it is LIGIT! So, I looked closely at the details. The package weighed 58 pounds and was shipped STANDARD OVERNIGHT. So that means it will be here tomorrow.

Well, curious me, I wanted to see what that costs. So, I input all the numbers, weights, zip codes and the shipping estimate was $278.00 for standard overnight.

WHAT THE HECK??? Surely they have a "super saver" business account or something.

Here is what I feel...I think someone at Champion Toyota is running their own website on the side. I think people order from his website, he orders it through Champion, when it arrives at the dealership he secretly ships it on to the customer at the businesses expense.

But...I shouldn't be thinking like that now should I?? HA

Anywho, we will see what arrives at my door tomorrow.
Old 10-15-09, 11:39 PM
PINGGOLF
Driver School Candidate

Sure enough...thats what it was...

Well, the install took less than 30 min...by MYSELF.

I had a bucket to hold one side while I bolted on the other.

Brought a torque wrench home from work the night before.

INSTALLED THE HARNESS WITHOUT REMOVING ANYTHING BUT THE PLUG UNDER THE CAR! Ahhh, the benefits of working in aerospace! I brought home a borascope with an integrated pinch arm. Basically, I performed surgery from a tv screen! HA! We use it to perform inspections of orbital welds in the rocket factory!

Anywho...all is good and well here!

Quick Reply: Lexus 3500Ib tow hitch