RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus 3500Ib tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 11:05 AM
visoredge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Thanks for the pics!

Question: Does the square part of the hitch (where the ball goes in) protrude out beyond the rear bumper at all?

Thanks!
Old 09-30-05, 12:31 PM
Campbell
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. I'll try to get a pic later.
Old 09-30-05, 07:24 PM
mrfuni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by visoredge
Hi,
Thanks for the pics!

Question: Does the square part of the hitch (where the ball goes in) protrude out beyond the rear bumper at all?

Thanks!
Check out my posted photos on the first page of this thread. My hitch is flush with the rear bumber and doesn't protrude out at all. Fortunately it works for me since I have limited garage space.
Old 10-01-05, 07:53 PM
jjudd
Driver School Candidate

I am very pleased with the Lexus hitch. Price was not too bad and installation was a snap. Even the wiring was easier than I thought it would be. Total install time was under one hour. This hitch is very attractive and I like the way it bends under the exhaust pipe as opposed to the square indention of the aftermarkets. I plan on towing a bass boat, approx. 2000 lb including BMT. My only trip out with it so far was OK, though I spun a little pulling out. The ramp is steep and was wet from previous launchings. However, the traction control kicked in and I got out with no problems. I have a trip planned next weekend with most of the driving on the interstate. I anticpate no problems towing at 65-70 mph.
Old 10-02-05, 03:09 AM
dc67soul
Driver School Candidate

Lexus OEM hitch on the RX400h
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 3500Ib tow hitch-22.jpg  
Old 10-30-05, 08:04 PM
amw
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I am researching a tow hitch for the 2004 RX 330 we just got. I am leaning toward the Lexus OEM, but am concerned by a couple comments about it sticking out. Can anyone tell me how far the hitch actually sticks out? It's hard to tell from the pictures. Thanks.
Old 11-01-05, 05:53 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Campbell
Today I finally got it.
The part# PT228-48045

It comes with mounting bolts, brackets, and the wiring harness. No tow ball.
Cost from Lexus in Fort Myers, Fl. $265 + tax.
Going to install tonight.
You can get the Valley hitch for the RX330 from AutoParts4Less.COM for $130 with free ship. It is a bolt-on installation. Same 3500 lb. capacity. Uses round tubing, but without bends which I think makes it stronger (bends can only weaken a tube.) Don't care for the tubing going under the exhaust on the Lexus part. Ugly as sin. On the Vallet a flat steel section goes under the exhaust.. I also think it looks better than the Curt design. Got mine today (over-night ship!) and it looks fine and is plenty heavy.
Old 11-12-05, 06:04 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default Valley hitch not so good

Originally Posted by nopcbs
You can get the Valley hitch for the RX330 from AutoParts4Less.COM for $130 with free ship. It is a bolt-on installation. Same 3500 lb. capacity. Uses round tubing, but without bends which I think makes it stronger (bends can only weaken a tube.) Don't care for the tubing going under the exhaust on the Lexus part. Ugly as sin. On the Vallet a flat steel section goes under the exhaust.. I also think it looks better than the Curt design. Got mine today (over-night ship!) and it looks fine and is plenty heavy.
The Valley hitch for the RX330 is turning out to be a minor nightmare. The first hitch I got was bent and unuseable. The vendor sent another direct from Valley and it was bent, too. The so-called powder-coat finish on both has paint chipped off. Not very durable. The hitch also extends well back of the bumper. The hitch is very noticeable. Cheap, but not very good (two bent hitches?).

I think I need to go for the Lexus oem flavor.

Sigh.
Old 11-12-05, 10:52 PM
Campbell
Rookie

Originally Posted by nopcbs

I think I need to go for the Lexus oem flavor.

Sigh.
You will not regret it.
The cap(middle part) sticks out a little, but it is VERY clean looking.
Old 11-13-05, 09:08 PM
visoredge
Driver School Candidate

Go with the OEM one, not very expensive and actually easy to i nstall, took my brother and I about an hour.

Got mine for $215 plus $25 shipping at www.lexuspartsusa.com
Also got some oil filters @ the same time for $4 a pop.

It sticks out JUST a bit from the bumper, prob less than 2 inches, I didn't measure it.
Actually I prefer it to stick out b/c, in my Toyota 4Runner, I've been rear ended 3 times, each time with zero damage to me thanks to the tow hitch!
Old 11-14-05, 06:35 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by visoredge
Go with the OEM one, not very expensive and actually easy to i nstall, took my brother and I about an hour.

Got mine for $215 plus $25 shipping at www.lexuspartsusa.com
Also got some oil filters @ the same time for $4 a pop.

It sticks out JUST a bit from the bumper, prob less than 2 inches, I didn't measure it.
Actually I prefer it to stick out b/c, in my Toyota 4Runner, I've been rear ended 3 times, each time with zero damage to me thanks to the tow hitch!
for the lead. Local Lexus shop wants $350 for part. $900 for the hitch installed. Should have asked what calibre gun they were holding when the gave the quote. Attempted robbery.
Old 11-16-05, 07:37 PM
amw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info on the Valley hitch. I decided to go with the Lexus brand since it seemed an easier option with the included wiring harness. I looked up the sponsor page on this site and contacted Hendrick Lexus. Got the part for $225 plus $20 shipping. They were extremely helpful and I got the part in two days. Local DC dealer price was $370 plus about $400 for install.
Old 11-17-05, 04:17 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Default You did well, young Skywalker

You did well, young Skywalker
Old 03-16-08, 06:08 PM
mlim
Driver School Candidate

Tip: I just installed mine last night on my RX400h and it took me 75 minutes without wiring hookup yet. One tip I like to share with everyone is to remove the spare tire first while doing this installation. It made a world of difference for me when the spare tire is out of the way while doing the hitch installation.
Old 03-16-08, 06:45 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

how does one connect the car's wiring with trailer's wiring? With OEM Lexus hitch, there is an external connector that somehow should connect...is there some sort of adapter? Do all trailers come with a universal adapter that just clicks into RX's connector? Any input is appreciated.

Also, lexuspartsusa.com website is not working..has anyone orderd anything from them recently?

Quick Reply: Lexus 3500Ib tow hitch