RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

330 A/C lockout

Old 08-24-05, 12:51 PM
Campbell
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 330 A/C lockout

Living in Tampa, Fl has pros and cons. One of the cons is the torrential rains we get during Summer afternoons.
Well sure enough one afternoon I'm driving alone Bayshore Blvd (known for it's street flooding) and it starts pouring down. I would say the water was approx 2-3 inches on the road, well I hit a couple of deeper spots(puddles) nothing large or crazy, say 4-5 inches, and speed was around 35- 45 MPH.
At the time I was concentrating on just driving carefully, but I began to notice the interior was getting clammy, warm, humid. I lowered the temperature down a few degrees. It was in Auto mode. After a little time I noticed that the air coming out of the vents was very humid. I go to the climate info screen(nav screen) and the A/C button is flashing. I take the climate control off Auto, and still no cool A/C. I turn off the climate control and resatart in manual. Everything looks fine, but no cool air and then the A/C button starts flashing again. I think to myself "Something is broken, maybe I just shorted out the A/C system." I shut off the climate control and drive for a few more minutes and turn it on again in manual. Starts fine, no flashing A/C button, aarrrr cool air. Check all the functions including the Auto, and everything is fine.
Well, I cant let it go. It's bugging me that it happen and I can only assume it was due to water in the engine compartment. But it might have been something else.
So I had to do it. The next day the hunt was on for dark clouds. I find one and drive straight to it. This time the conditions were 10-20 MPH 3-4 inches of water with 5-6 inch puddles.
Nothing, nothing, nothing, BINGO. A reproducable event.
So, in conclusion I'm going to assume that the Lexus is a smart car , and when my dumb butt goes into either deep and/ or drive to fast in water, the car shuts down the A/C due to a possible electrical short it begins to detect. It does diagnostics on the A/C when you restart the climate system and only engages the A/C once everything is OK.

If anyone has any further knowledge on this matter I would greatly appriciate it.
Hope it helps.
Campbell
Old 08-24-05, 02:44 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't check my owner's manual, but I had the same thing happen in a downpour as well.
Old 10-05-05, 04:55 PM
jer55
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Tampa also, and lately my A/C has been shutting off just going down wet streets. It's also blinking if I park it outside & it rains. I come back & it's blinking. I just have to shut it off & back on. Plan on having the dealer look at it, as I can understand going through deep water, but it seems to be a bit out of control...
Old 10-05-05, 09:22 PM
Campbell
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jer55
I'm in Tampa also, and lately my A/C has been shutting off just going down wet streets. It's also blinking if I park it outside & it rains. I come back & it's blinking. I just have to shut it off & back on. Plan on having the dealer look at it, as I can understand going through deep water, but it seems to be a bit out of control...
Let us know what the dealer says.
Old 10-15-05, 03:35 AM
jer55
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, took the RX to Lexus of Tampa Bay yesterday to have the A/C checked out. They had heard of the problem but said normally it was due to a loose belt. They also checked for leaks but found no problem. They have a call in to Lexus to see if there is something else they should be looking for- in the meantime if it happens again to call back & set up another appt. I'm due for an oil change next month so if it happens between now & then (probably will if they really didn't do anything!) I'll have them keep it & check it out more thoroughly. If I have no further problems then they must've tinkered w/something, just didn't put it on the work order.