RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Tires Requires an Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05, 07:44 AM
Fikse
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires Requires an Alignment?

My 2005 RX330 AWD came with the Goodyear tires and at 18k miles, they are evenly worn all around. I brough the car to the dealer with a new set of Michilins for them to put on. They are insisting that anytime you put new tires on, the car needs to be aligned.....

Can someone explain why? Why would new tires cause problems with the alignment?

The service advisor said since my new tires have more tread than the old ones, the alignment will be wrong. I asked how this could be since the car was originally aligned from the factory with full tread, and he didn't have an answer..... he just said, "well, most cars with this milage need an alignment anyways....

Last edited by Fikse; 08-13-05 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-13-05, 08:25 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

theyre just trying to get money out of you..
Old 08-13-05, 08:36 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be the allignment has been off since you picked it up... I got 35K out of my first set of Goodyears. It would be an idea to get the 4 wheel allignment for the preservation of your new Michelins. Lexus/Toyota dealer would be recommended since they would know what to touch if a tweek is necessary... But if the car is tracking well and you keep the air pressures correct and rotate every 3000 or so you should see good life out of the Michelins. I'm not so sure the reasons on tire wear are applicable since you don't race track the 330.
Old 08-13-05, 08:49 AM
Fikse
Rookie

well, I was surprised to get only 18k miles.... but the tire wear was more even that I've ever seen on any of my cars..... and the tires were never rotated... this is AWD car, so I might expect to get less milage....

the treadwear on the Michelins is twice that of the Goodyears..... hopefully they'll last 20k miles, as I'll be trading in around that time....

Originally Posted by Tammy
Might be the allignment has been off since you picked it up... I got 35K out of my first set of Goodyears. It would be an idea to get the 4 wheel allignment for the preservation of your new Michelins. Lexus/Toyota dealer would be recommended since they would know what to touch if a tweek is necessary... But if the car is tracking well and you keep the air pressures correct and rotate every 3000 or so you should see good life out of the Michelins. I'm not so sure the reasons on tire wear are applicable since you don't race track the 330.
Old 08-13-05, 09:53 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While it is recomended that you get an alignement every year, it is not due to new tires. Sinply and alignment can go off during the year. If you hit a pot hole, or suspension wear. Anyway, I probably would get the alignement done, but not because of the new tire reason but because you haven't gotten one since new and its been nearly 20K miles. HOwevef, check to see what the charge you for the alignmnet. If it is a really high price it might be better to rtake to to Sears or another place that has lifetime alignment deals,. Those types of places usually charge you once, and as long as your car is not modified, (Like drop springs or larger rims) they will align your car for free once a year or something like that.
Old 08-13-05, 12:06 PM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Fikse
You need to rotate your tires even on an AWD car.
That's why you probably got only 18K miles out of the goodyears.

I had to replace my Michelins at 20K miles due to uneven tireware.
Put new Michelins on and had an alignement done. The alignement was a little off even thought the car drove perfectly straight.

I would at least have the alignment checked just to be safe.Most tire shops would inspect the alignement free and charge you only if they have to change the settings.
Old 08-13-05, 02:06 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New tires & wheel alignment are just another profit center for dealers. The funny thing is that when you do have a real alignment problem under warranty, they'll say "it's the crown of the road," "it's normal," "must be windy that day," etc.

You only need to do alignment when you notice uneven wear, handling, or pulling issues. Otherwise you can get new tires without alignment.
Old 08-13-05, 03:27 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Fikse
My 2005 RX330 AWD came with the Goodyear tires and at 18k miles, they are evenly worn all around. I brough the car to the dealer with a new set of Michilins for them to put on. They are insisting that anytime you put new tires on, the car needs to be aligned.....

The service advisor said since my new tires have more tread than the old ones, the alignment will be wrong. I asked how this could be since the car was originally aligned from the factory with full tread, and he didn't have an answer..... he just said, "well, most cars with this milage need an alignment anyways....
One should always get an alignment when you install new tires, it's just good practice to make sure you get proper wear & maintain the best ride & handling when investing that kind of money.

A new set (4) of tires should be installed, balanced with new valve stems & a 4 wheel alignment.
Old 08-14-05, 10:34 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

it really depends on how bad the tires are. ie

if a car has really bad camber problems. u when u go to correct it on the alingment machine. the angels will be off. by the manual ur supposed to have or close to having new tires to get correct algnment. if ur car has 15k on it. u dont need new tires unless ur toe is off really bad
Old 08-15-05, 07:34 PM
Fikse
Rookie

I guess I wasn't clear.... the tires were worn evenly on all 4 corners... AND across each tire....
Old 08-15-05, 07:48 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I guess I wasn't clear.... the tires were worn evenly on all 4 corners... AND across each tire....
I vote for no alignment if the wear is as even as you describe it. I've had certified mechanics install new tires for me and forego the alignment (which they would have made money on) because of old tires wearing evenly. Do begin rotating your new tires regularly, every 5k miles if you follow the Lexus schedule.

Gotta love the service advisor talking out of his **** about alignment and new tread etc... I really wish some of these guys didn't talk so much when they don't know.
Old 08-15-05, 08:41 PM
Fikse
Rookie

heh, you should have heard his long winded speech about the optional 15k service after I said "no thanks"....
Old 08-15-05, 08:46 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have oem 18" michelins, and i am at 41k and still plenty of tread left . . .

i have never done an alignment (knock on wood), and have never replaced the tires. and i have AWD also. but, i do rotate with every oil change at 5k intervals. .
Old 08-16-05, 01:57 AM
Domo-Kun
Rookie

I would recommend an alignment if the dealer is willing to do a true 4-wheel alignment and not charge over $100. Make sure they center your steering wheel as well. If you don't have the vehicle pull to one side or do not have uneven tire wear you can hedge your bets and not have it done. If you bought some inexpensive Kumho's for $120 a tire, might not be worth it. However, if you just spend $300 per tire, probably not a bad $100 investment to do the alignment.
Old 08-16-05, 11:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I agree with Domo-Kun on this one...don't let them suck you in on price. If they believe so much in it...perhaps they put it up on the rack and let you see where the alignment is.

True, center the steering wheel...there is a device they use to do this.

In addition, make sure the air pressure in all 4 tires is equal.

This may surprise a lot of you but I do an alignment every month. In Mexico City...you can imagine what road hazards exist...and no matter what speed you are going at...you are bound to hit one.

Right now I have a bad left caster that I need to work on with my mechanic. The week before it was fine.

BTW, I do track race my RX300.

Quick Reply: New Tires Requires an Alignment?