RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need Help with Accident Aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 03:53 PM
Crystal2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help with Accident Aftermath

Hi, Forum Members, I have been away; just got behind my rarely used Lexus (left home while I was out of town). Unfortunately, my very first long trip (tail end), the RX330 was rear-ended. Damage fortunately appeared to be minimal with scratches and a dent in the back bumper.

Question: The accident was reported by us to the police. I will get price quotes for repair work. I just spoke to Lexus customer service and they advised me to take car to Lexus dealership to make sure I get a color match that would be harder with an outside dealer/ repair shop.
However, Lexus prices are known to be much more than other dealers (including Toyota) and repair shops. Will the final repair cost matter in terms of accidents that are reported on a car for resale purposes? According to the form I received from the police today, NYS requires reporting to the state if property damage is over $1000. Does that mean that if my repair cost is under $1000, this would not show up in the car's record as an accident, thus affecting resale value?

In summary, shall I avoid taking it to Lexus dealership because of likely escalated cost? At what point will an accident COUNT in the car's records? Is it really hard to get a color match for scratch repair (I have the Thundercloud metallic color).

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Crystal2.

Last edited by Crystal2; 07-25-05 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-25-05, 04:35 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been rear-ended a couple of times in RX's - once in a 300, and once in a 330.

The 300 was pretty minor, just like you describe. I had an impression of the guy's license plate in the bumper, but that was about it. It cost just under $700 for the repair, which involved simply replacing the plastic bumper cover, painting the new one to match, and putting on a new bumper pad (the black plastic strip on the bumper with the Lexus logo).

The 330 accident was a bigger deal. Rear bumper cover was destroyed, as was the exhaust from the muffler back. The spare tire cover was scuffed but not really damaged, and one of the tie-down hooks under the rear end was bent. Fortunately, they didn't damage the metal body or the rear door. That wound up being about $2500. The body shop did an EXCELLENT job of matching the Flint Mica paint. None of the dealers near me do body work, but they recommended a place that turned out to be pretty close by. The recommendation was great, as I had the same shop fix both accidents. The shop claims to specialize in Toyota/Lexus products - I believe it.

In Illinois, the Dept. of Transportation reporting minimum is $500 or if there is an injury. If the accident is under $500, you don't need to sent the DOT report to the state, and it doesn't show up in any state records. The DOT report is separate from the police report - you still need the police report for the insurance, regardless of the value of the property damage. A police report will not link to the sort of records that Carfax checks. Even with the DOT report, I'm not sure if Carfax can find that, either. You're assuming that computer systems in our state capitol are tied together.
Old 07-25-05, 06:10 PM
Crystal2
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Rxdriver,

Your reply was the most helpful of all replies received (including ones from another Lexus forum). This is especially true since you shared from personal experiences.

I take it I should be encouraged to think that the "minor" accident we had earlier today will probably not show up in Carfax records? Actually, I would like more info on how Carfax gets its info and what is included in the records they provide to prospective car buyers. Anyone else in the forum may respond to this query of mine.

After reading the responses and giving further thought to this matter, I have decided I will start as of today to diligently maintain records on the RX330 to show my reocrds of what happened and the extent of the damage to any propective buyer, if and when I should sell this SUV.

Thanks again, Rxdriver.
Old 07-26-05, 06:21 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since your reporting minimum is $1000, and it sounds like you've got less damage than that, I don't think this accident will show up on Carfax.

I'd be interested, too, if someone can share details about where Carfax pulls data from. I know that Carfax is hitting the main Motor Vehicle title / odometer / registration system in Illinois. I pulled a report on a used car a few months ago, and it was very complete in all of those areas. But accident forms go to the Dept. of Transportation, which is not the Motor Vehicle agency in Illinois. DOT uses the reports to study and engineer roads - not track vehicle records. The Carfax report didn't list any accidents, but I can't see any evidence of a prior accident, so that doesn't necessarily prove anything. Carfax would have to link to DOT's database to get accident details other than catastrophic things like flood / totalled / stolen / salvage that hit the title.
Old 07-26-05, 06:41 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by rxdriver
Since your reporting minimum is $1000, and it sounds like you've got less damage than that, I don't think this accident will show up on Carfax.

I'd be interested, too, if someone can share details about where Carfax pulls data from. I know that Carfax is hitting the main Motor Vehicle title / odometer / registration system in Illinois. I pulled a report on a used car a few months ago, and it was very complete in all of those areas. But accident forms go to the Dept. of Transportation, which is not the Motor Vehicle agency in Illinois. DOT uses the reports to study and engineer roads - not track vehicle records. The Carfax report didn't list any accidents, but I can't see any evidence of a prior accident, so that doesn't necessarily prove anything. Carfax would have to link to DOT's database to get accident details other than catastrophic things like flood / totalled / stolen / salvage that hit the title.
http://www.carfax.com/media/opt3.cfm
Old 07-26-05, 10:59 AM
mmahamm
Driver

We had a minor accident in our 2000 RX300. It required replacement of the front left fender, and some repainting of the bumper. Took it to the body shop we always have used for other cars in the past, and they did an excellent job of matching the color. The fender panel no longer has the VIN imprinted on it, but other than that, no way to tell it was repaired. I am sure that if a dealer had done the work it would also not have the VIN imprinted on it.

I have said in the past--despite the "Lexus Experience," remember that these are cars. Just cars.
Old 07-26-05, 11:17 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Crystal2

Question: The accident was reported by us to the police. I will get price quotes for repair work. I just spoke to Lexus customer service and they advised me to take car to Lexus dealership to make sure I get a color match that would be harder with an outside dealer/ repair shop.
However, Lexus prices are known to be much more than other dealers (including Toyota) and repair shops. Will the final repair cost matter in terms of accidents that are reported on a car for resale purposes? According to the form I received from the police today, NYS requires reporting to the state if property damage is over $1000. Does that mean that if my repair cost is under $1000, this would not show up in the car's record as an accident, thus affecting resale value?

In summary, shall I avoid taking it to Lexus dealership because of likely escalated cost? At what point will an accident COUNT in the car's records? Is it really hard to get a color match for scratch repair (I have the Thundercloud metallic color).

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Crystal2.
As a Claims Adjuster by profession, I will add my $0.02.

Here in CA, in order for a Traffic Accident Report (SR1) to be sent the criteria is:
-There was property damage of more than $750 ($500 for accidents prior to January 1, 2003) or
-Anyone was injured (no matter how minor) or
-Anyone was killed

If NY is about the same, $1000 is their PD minimum to be reported. I would check with your local DMV to see what the requirements are. If you fail to provide this information, this can ultimately revoke your license.

Edit: Just found this for your reference... http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#accident

To answer your question, yes if it's under $1k in property damage, then it wont be reported. Chances are your repair estimate will at least be $1k alone (it will escalate obviously w/the other party's damage)...so it will be reported to the DMV. A good qualified bodyshop can match any type of paint...it doesn't have to be Toyota/Lexus specific (not always the best route to go with) bodyshop to do the work. I would ask for referrals and visit the bodyshops you're comfortable with and check the work. Check with your insurance company to see if they have preferred bodyshops they recommend (chances are the ins. co. will guarantee work done at that shop on top of what the shop offers as a guarantee). Good shops will be within a reasonable amount for estimate/repair...you will see a variation obviously but it shouldn't be by much. Obviously a preliminary estimate isn't going to dictate the final cost of the repairs.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-05, 11:19 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mmahamm
We had a minor accident in our 2000 RX300. It required replacement of the front left fender, and some repainting of the bumper. Took it to the body shop we always have used for other cars in the past, and they did an excellent job of matching the color. The fender panel no longer has the VIN imprinted on it, but other than that, no way to tell it was repaired. I am sure that if a dealer had done the work it would also not have the VIN imprinted on it.
This is correct, any replaced panel either LKQ (Like Kind & Quality) aka used or new genuine OEM parts will not have the factory vin sticker imprinted on it. This is true for any body repair through a dealer or non dealer.
Old 07-26-05, 04:31 PM
Crystal2
Driver School Candidate

Flipside909 and others,

Thanks for the feedback. I was impressed with the assessment by the claims adjuster who came to look at the damage to my RX. He saw the imprint of the other car's license plate on my bumper. He submitted an estimate for a replacement bumper, paint for scratched areas and labor. It was a liitle under $700. I was happily surprised since I do not want to report it to DOT (NY) for damage over $1000. Of course, the final cost still has to be ascertained upon completion of work.

The autobody shop we chose has done good work on my husband's cars and its prices tend to be reasonable. The boss there said they use a computerized system to match colors.

All your feedback has been very helpful; gave good information to ground me through this aggravation.