RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 vs FX35

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 05:54 PM
WDNL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX 330 vs FX35

We are currently looking to buy!!!

I love the Infiniti FX35 and my wife loves the Lexus RX 330 ... we will probably end up with the RX, but does anyone have opinions of the FX vs the RX? We would love to hear them.

Thanks all!
Old 05-24-05, 06:29 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'll let the RX guys handle this but since I saw the post:

My friend was in the same situation a year ago. Deciding between the RX and FX. They ended up with the FX because of it's sportiness and performance, but then later they regretted because the ride is too harsh for SUV, and long distance drives would be a PITA. The interior room is also small, especially how the rear doors have such a small surface, which made it hard to get out of the back seats.

The local Infiniti dealer (Cerritos Infiniti) also has been a big issue for them.

They ended up getting a RX330 in Taiwan, and then couldn't be happier.

So, if you are looking for a 350Z in a SUV shell, get the FX. If you want a more usable SUV with comfortable ride, plus legendary Lexus service, get the RX.
Old 05-24-05, 06:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK

My friend was in the same situation a year ago. Deciding between the RX and FX. They ended up with the FX because of it's sportiness and performance, but then later they regretted because the ride is too harsh for SUV, and long distance drives would be a PITA. The interior room is also small, especially how the rear doors have such a small surface, which made it hard to get out of the back seats.

The local Infiniti dealer (Cerritos Infiniti) also has been a big issue for them.

So, if you are looking for a 350Z in a SUV shell, get the FX. If you want a more usable SUV with comfortable ride, plus legendary Lexus service, get the RX.
Yeah. The FX is the sportier SUV, though that is a damn oxymoron in itself. It also has the interior of a coupe, aluminum, small and anti-SUV. Its faster and the looker of the two (ugly or ugly or different, that is up to you). The ride is harsh and gets harsher with the 20s.
The RX created the car-based SUV segment and is still the leader. When you step inside, there is no doubt this is a luxury SUV. Its more spacious and more detailed. Its not as fast but no slouch. It just won another award for highest quality. From styling to features, the industry mimics it.

Either is a solid SUV, the RX is more of the Luxury and Utility Vehicle, the FX more the sport and that is all vehicle.
Old 05-24-05, 07:33 PM
Techman36
Driver School Candidate

Do like my wife and I did. She got the G35 and I got the 330RX. This way we have 1 sports car and 1 SUV, and not try and combine them
Old 05-24-05, 09:10 PM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I have an RX330 and a FX45. If you want a cushy ride with an elegant interior, get the RX. If you want a car that is more like a sports car, get the FX. By the way, the FX45 has the 20" tires and the ride is not as bad as everyone says. They are both great vehicles, but the choice should be fairly easy once you determine your priorities.
Old 05-24-05, 09:47 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lawprofs
By the way, the FX45 has the 20" tires and the ride is not as bad as everyone says.
I test drove an FX45. The ride was so harsh, it nearly loosen the fillings of my teeth. Infiniti did promise to soften the ride according to Car&Driver. Once people get used to the smooth ride of the RX, it's hard to get into anything else.

The FX is great for sporty drivers who want the SUV look (actually I think it looks like a toad.) For the ultimate sporty driving with the money, get a BMW 5-series - rare combination of sportiness and ride comfort, with interior room comparable to the FX.
Old 05-24-05, 10:50 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
I test drove an FX45. The ride was so harsh, it nearly loosen the fillings of my teeth. Infiniti did promise to soften the ride according to Car&Driver. Once people get used to the smooth ride of the RX, it's hard to get into anything else.

The FX is great for sporty drivers who want the SUV look (actually I think it looks like a toad.) For the ultimate sporty driving with the money, get a BMW 5-series - rare combination of sportiness and ride comfort, with interior room comparable to the FX.
Yah i forgot to mention, my friend's really bumpy and harsh FX is FX35 with some sports/technology package, which came with 20" wheels. Combined with the low roof in the rear, I constantly bang my head on the top. And it's only the 605 freeway not some offroad.
Old 05-25-05, 01:39 AM
ucla107
Driver School Candidate

i dunno.. for some reason everytime i see an FX, they've been really noisy.. i love the quietness of my RX.. so there... i think they're trying to make the FX sportier than it is.. but i actually prefer the soft, quiet ride the RX provides.. just my 2 cents
Old 05-26-05, 09:20 AM
dolesun
Rookie

The FX is sporty and pretty nice looking in certain angles, but I can't stand the tiny interior. I'm not a big guy, and when I was at last year's autoshow, I hated the fact that there's no leg room and headroom for the back seats.
Old 05-26-05, 09:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

If I'm to buy a SUV now, I'll pick the FX over the RX without question, sportier & more fun to drive & looks more cool . . . which means I don't really need a SUV now

When I do really need to buy a SUV, I'll pick the RX over FX for sure for more practicality & more comfortable transport for the family.
Old 05-26-05, 07:51 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

The newer FX models they made the suspension a bit more comfortable due to the complaints of a rough ride. The newer models are nicer now.
Old 05-26-05, 08:01 PM
Techman36
Driver School Candidate

Hah, I have the same cars in my house G35 and RX330
Old 05-26-05, 09:19 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, now you mentioned that...let's see, isn't RX is a SUV shell with ES/Camry V6 engine & tranny?
Old 05-27-05, 05:12 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Techman36
Hah, I have the same cars in my house G35 and RX330
I need to update my sig. I got a 2005 G now
Old 05-28-05, 07:07 AM
louiein99
Driver School Candidate

Default don't knock the FX...it has its place

My brother has an AWD FX35 that we drove in Ohio over Christmas. First, it handled the ice covered roads with ease. He has the technology pkg, sport pkg and the touring package...which has more gadgets than a comparably priced RX. The FX actually offers several things that the RX doesn't at all.

For instance, it has intelligent key that allows you to unlock and open the door with out the use of a remote or key...and you can start the car just by having the key in your pocket. The navigation system was more than adequate. It told us to stop just outside of my uncle's driveway. The all brushed aluminum accents versus the plasticy stuff on the RX. It is definately sportier. Don't get me wrong, this is not an Infiniti commercial, but it is a great looking and sporty car for someone without a family or for a second vehicle.

The only reason I am not considering it is because my wife and I are looking to have a little one in the next couple of years, and my brother was not...and my wife will not even consider owning a minivan once we start our family!!! The Lexus nameplate also plays into it quite a bit, but for the $ and the right reasons, the FX is a solid vehicle to choose.

Quick Reply: RX 330 vs FX35