RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Mark Levinson Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 08:59 AM
louiein99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Stereo

I heard my first RX330 Mark Levinson stereo the other day. To be honest, I thought is was very subpar for an upgraded system. The bass had no punch, and overall the sound was very flat when listening to FM. I have been told that the sound is much better with a CD, but I plan to install satellite radio, and I mostly listen to FM.

I still have a little bit of time before I have to narrow down whether I want this option or the performance package. Still not quite sure why you can't have both. Please let me know if anyone has tweaked the settings to get optimal sound. I had the the highs, mids and bass at 5. I messed with lowering the mids a little, but I only got to listen to the system for a few minutes, and never quite got it sounding good. Before someone asks, yes, I had the sound going to all riders. I moved it from position to position, but the sound quality never improved.

I plan to go back and relisten to the system, but it would help tremendously if I had some reference to go on. Thanks,
Old 05-23-05, 09:34 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you listen to FM mostly, then the ML won't be a must-have upgrade for you. CDs are great, yes.

i listen mostly to FM on my commute or on weekends, but the ML is nice for the long trips. all in all, the ML is probably least "noticeable" in the RX compared to the other Lexus models (when up against the stock system). ML is fantastic in the GS and SC. in the RX, it's harder to get it amazing like the sedans with the wind noise and road noise, i usually find myself turning up the music pretty loud, but i like it that way anyway ...
Old 05-23-05, 10:03 AM
louiein99
Driver School Candidate

Default disappointing

That is very disappointing to hear. I had been holding out, and actually told dealers that I would not consider an RX without the ML. I thought I might have just played it up so much that it could not meet expectations, but it seems like the system is not worth the extra $$ I am now considering the Performance Package as an addon, but I have not gotten any feedback on this package.

I still welcome comments on settings from anyone else that has the system just to be sure.
Old 05-23-05, 10:19 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

don't get me wrong, it's still a great system. much better than bose and others IMO. but i think the lexus stock system is pretty good (not sure who makes it, for some reason i thought it was pioneer). and SUV's have a harder time pulling off nice, insulated sound in general. the cabin is just very big. p.s. i am not sure what music you listen to, but i think the bass is pretty good, i usually don't have high-mid-bass on 5-5-5 though. i usually have 3-3-5. sometimes it is too much and i turn it down a notch.

maybe you could have your dealer park an ML RX and non-ML RX side by side and have them tuned to your favorite FM station and compare . . . that's the only way you will know for sure.
Old 05-23-05, 10:59 AM
Techman36
Driver School Candidate

Well, Im sure Im not the only one who thinks that them not putting a sub made a hole in the sound.

I am adding a 12" sub and 400 watt amp to fill that hole. I know thats a but excessive but I like my bass and plan to keep it that way.
Old 05-23-05, 01:38 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have a ML system on your 330 and are not satisfied with the bass response, a quick way to check whether you may need a little bass support is to crank the bass response up a couple notches. You will drive the high end into the mud, but raising it a notch or two will demonstrate the speakers have the capacity to deliver a good deal more than available at the "flat" response setting.

The ML is tuned to produce an accurate presentation of its input. Personal taste (or hearing) varies widely. If you want your system to kick seismographs three counties away, it's not for you. For most purposes, the ML is probably not worth the $ on the RX - as lexuslover said, it's a poor environment. You could do better with an aftermarket upgrade to the standard stereo if you can find a really knowledgeable dealer.
Old 05-23-05, 05:17 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that there isn't much difference between the standard stereo (I also believe it's Pioneer) and the ML. The audio head an the operational features and buttons are the same on both; all ML adds is a bigger amp, 3 more speakers, and the audio engineering know-how of the ML company. As others said, a car is a tough audio environment, even for the pros, so it's not like ML had a lot of latitude to work with.
Old 05-23-05, 09:11 PM
Techman36
Driver School Candidate

Ya lil, I had tried that at the dealership and was not satisfied with the bass response. I still don't understand why the RX is the only ML that Lexus offers with no sub.

For most people the bass is just fine, but for me it was sorely lacking the feel of bass that you get in most new cars today. Even in my '02 RX300 I added a 6.5' powered sub. I do listen to alot of hip hop and without a decent sub you miss out on the "feeling" of most bass line driven songs when you don't have a sub. That sub was ok, but this time I decided to step it up a notch and see if I could get some decent "feeling" in my new car.

I must say, that even in my wife's '04 G35 the bass is quite increadable for a stock system, and when going back into a car without a sub, It feels like Im missing something. But, I have been adding subs to my cars for the last 10 years and once you start doing that its hard to go without.
Old 05-24-05, 09:31 AM
louiein99
Driver School Candidate

The bass doesn't have to rattle teeth or set off alarms to be good for me, but I do expect to feel it a little. I am going to try and set up a side by side comparison, but after my first impression, I am leaning to the stock system. I have never added a sub, so we will have to see if that becomes an option for me.

I currently have a Pathfinder with the Bose system in it. My Pathfinder's system is definately not going to wake the neighbors, but it certainly lets you know when a low note is hit. I hate that I am going to upgrade vehicles and take a step down in stereo performance...no matter which system I choose (premium or ML). I mean, even an MDX comes with a subwoofer now, and it is not as luxurious as the RX330. Not too mention that many in the class also come with satellite radio too.

I love Lexus, but they always seem to be a year or two behind the competition.
Old 05-26-05, 07:57 PM
louiein99
Driver School Candidate

Default settings for treble, mid and bass

RXDriver and LexusLover, What settings did you put yours on to get the best sound. When I was at the dealership, I had them all at 5 (treble, mid, bass). I only had a couple of minutes, and I spent most of that time trying to find a radio station that wasn't on a commercial break. I was rushed because the dealer was nervous since he was letting me listen to an ML in a 400h that was already sold...but the owner had not picked it up yet.

If I could get a good idea as to what setting provides the best sound, I may be able to get a better read as to the worth of the ML.
Old 05-26-05, 08:40 PM
Techman36
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, your best bet is to take a favorite CD with you to see how YOUR music sounds in the 2 systems. That way you know what its supposed to sound like and you can listen for differences in the sound systems then make an apples to apples comparison.

GL

Last edited by Techman36; 05-26-05 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-26-05, 11:06 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

don't put them all on 5, that defeats the purpose of the settings. i do 5bass, 3mid, 3-4treble. i also put the fade on R1 to balance the sound a bit (front overpowers the back a bit). i think it sounds good. i had the stock system on an old 01 RX before this one, and it wasn't bad. the ML is defintely nicer, but just not as noticeable for FM radio. btw, there is a pretty big difference between digital FM and non. digital is better obviously. i don't use XM or Sirius, but i imagine the sound quality is probably better than standard FM also.

i listen at a pretty good volume (not blasting, but loud enough to drown out road noise), and the bass sounds great. i have been paying more attention the sound of bass in the RX, and i think it's pretty good. it definitely sends vibration through the door panels and other inside components if that is what you are going for. but then again, if you are a big hip hop fan and need to have boomin bass next to other people at stoplights, then maybe you will need to buy a sub to augment the bass.

good luck w/ your decision!
Old 05-28-05, 12:07 PM
ColeRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuslover
don't put them all on 5, that defeats the purpose of the settings. i do 5bass, 3mid, 3-4treble. i also put the fade on R1 to balance the sound a bit (front overpowers the back a bit). i think it sounds good.
I, too, was disappointed in the ML when we first picked up our RX330. After playing with the settings, it finally lived up to the hype. I have my settings at BASS=5, MID=3 and TRE=4. I also have the fade set to R3 which balanced the sound imaging.

We actually didn't want the ML but we couldn't get the Rear DVD without it (back in OCT03). I do feel that it is one of the best overall sounds systems I've heard. Sound quality is amazing and I'm also able to get impressive 5.1 audio when playing DVD's. Bass is more than adequate for the majority of music even without a true subwoofer.

Of course, sound preference is always subjective and we didn't do a side-by-side comparison to the stock system. I have no doubt that the stock system is very good but I just can't imagine our RX without the ML now. Good luck and happy listening!
Old 05-28-05, 12:45 PM
LexFather

http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/
Old 06-02-05, 05:08 AM
2004RX330
Rookie

The reason that the ML in RX is not as great as other models is probably that they never add a subwoofer in RX as other line up does have one.

Last edited by 2004RX330; 06-02-05 at 05:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Stereo