RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Tail lights? Are the LEDs only on the RX400h?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 11:38 AM
HollyA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Tail lights? Are the LEDs only on the RX400h?

Hi,

Can someone tell me whether the tail lights on the RX 330 is LED or is it just a regular bulb? I saw the RX 400h brochure and it specifically says LED taillamps, but it doesnt say so on the RX 330 brochure...

I also looked at the manual for the RX 330 and does say it uses a 5W 168 type bulb.

Does anyone know about it? How much would you think it is to convert it to LED?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-05, 11:53 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Only the 400h has the LED bulbs. Not sure on the cost to upgrade... probably a whole lot for genuine parts!
Old 05-13-05, 12:06 PM
jfarber
Rookie

The middle brake light on the 2005 RX330 is LED. It says so in the Electrical section of the manual.
Old 05-13-05, 08:40 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The RX330 (Even the 2004) uses a combination LED and a 5W wedge bulb. If you take a close look at your tail lights you will see a red cylinder tube in the center. This houses a 5W wedge bulb. Around that wedge bulb is the LEDs. My guess is the wedge bulb and red cylinder tube is just used to fill in the center of the tail light when lite up for a fuller lighting effect.
Old 06-09-05, 01:51 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The RX330 (Even the 2004) uses a combination LED and a 5W wedge bulb.
While reversing, I looked at my RX's reflection in a store window, and did notice that the bulbs did light up and "turn off" faster than normal (like a Caddy DeVille).
Old 06-10-05, 02:21 PM
sakaike
Rookie

While I don't want to appear overly strident, since there are so many experts on these boards, I am almost 100% sure that there are no LEDs in the tail light modules of any RX330s (with the exception of the third, center-mounted brake light). I believe that the LED "look" that one sees in the brake lights is caused by the design of the reflectors in the lighting assembly. And while I agree that the brake lights do indeed seem to work in a much more "instantaneous" fashion, which is a characteristic of LEDs, I think this may be more of an optical illusion and/or a function of circuitry or quality of the stock 5W bulb.

I have taken the entire body-side light assemblies out of my 2004 RX330 (long story, but it is not what I was intending to do), and there are NO LEDs anywhere in that component, nor is there any wiring providing power to a "ring" of LEDs allegedly surrounding the primary 5W bulb.

Yeah - I might be wrong, but I challenge anyone to provide any evidence (photo, electrical diagram, reference in a manual, etc.) to the presence of any factory LEDs in those left and right lighting assemblies.
Old 06-12-05, 05:53 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

sakaike: I think you may be right. I just retrieved my manual 'cause I really wanna know if it is or isn't.

According to the manual, the taillights, parking lights, front side marker lights and license plate lights are all:

Bulb #168, W5, Type F (wedge base bulbs clear).

Damnit, I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up!

I wonder how much for 400h LED tails?? I'm gonna email my friend in parts.
Old 06-13-05, 03:53 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Okay, I'll go take apart the tail lights again and see if I can get a good picture of the LEDs. Until then, I personally have looked at my tail lights and I can clearly see the clear LEDs mounted on the circuit board. However, just to be sure that I wasn't dreaming or that I didn't mix it up with any of my other cars, I will look at it again and see if I can get a picture this time. On a side note though, do you really think a 5W 168 bulb that is used in the center adequate for a brake light? I too thought it didn't have LEDS and I challange someone here on CL back in 2003. After I was assured it has LEDS and told to look again closer, I did and I too noticed the LEDs. At least that is my memory of it

By the way, below is a quite quote I found after a search on the net from one of the early 2004 RX330 reviews. I've also heard other magazine reveiws mention the LED tail lights as well.

The tail lamps – which utilize LED lights – are both redesigned and meet flush with the rear glass.
Also, the reason why the owners manual doesn't mention the LED lights is because they are non servicable and non replaceable. If the LED portion goes out for some reason (It should be lifetime) then you have to replace the entire tail light as the LEDs are wired on the circuit board. The 168 wege bulb is a replaceable part, so it is listed.

Here is my original topic when I first challanged the LED tail lighs.https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ed+tail+lights

Last edited by CK6Speed; 06-13-05 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-13-05, 08:55 AM
sakaike
Rookie

I would be very interested to get a more definitive answer to this question, so if you are able to get a photo of the LEDs, that would be awesome.

The LED set-up you are describing does sound reasonable and possible. As I vaguely recall, I do seem to remember a very small PCB attached to the body-side tail light assembly, although I didn't pay any attention to it at the time.
Old 06-13-05, 11:06 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Okay, it is impossible to get an actual shot of the LED itself. It is mounted on the lower green circuit board as you can see in the picture. The only way I can see just 1 clear LED is to shine a flashlight and peak under that board. That is evidence number 1. Eveidence number two can actually be seen from the outside looking into the lens. You will notice 5 clear refector diffusers around the center 168 bulb. There are 5 LED's under them. Evidence number 3 is that white connector shown by the red arrow. This powers the LED board. The two other bulbs have their own power harness. Evidence number 4 is the most telling of them all aside from the actual LED that I could see. This is stamped on the back of the tail light housing as shown in the 2nd pic below. It says "LED 12V 6.3W" In relation, the area near the 5W 168 bulb the casing is stamped with "5W" and the blinker bulb area is stamped with "21W" Now, you guys have to back me up the next time someone questions the LED tails in the RX330.

Anyway, here are the pics.

Old 06-13-05, 01:09 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks a million for taking the time and effort to pull together all that great information. I am now convinced, and will happily back you up the next time someone asks the same question (which is due any day now).
Old 06-13-05, 06:57 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

CK, YOU DA MAN!?! Where's that damn "I'm not worthy" smiley? Until then, :bow
Old 11-27-05, 08:23 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

How does one remove the inner brake lights (the ones on the trunk lid) on a RX330?
Old 12-21-05, 08:21 PM
steevr
Pole Position

To answer the original question, the brake and tail lights on the 400h are LED.

The RX330's have a combination. The brake light uses the LED portion (the LED's are circled around the center bulb). The taillights (which come on with the headlights) use a conventional filament bulb located in the center of the housing. The rationale is that the LED's light quicker and are thus used for only the brake lights.

In the 400h, using LED's for both tail and brake lights uses less electricity than conventional bulbs, and thus helps in preserving battery power.
Old 06-25-23, 08:27 AM
tonyisme
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2004 RX 330 has red LED brake lights

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Okay, it is impossible to get an actual shot of the LED itself. It is mounted on the lower green circuit board as you can see in the picture. The only way I can see just 1 clear LED is to shine a flashlight and peak under that board. That is evidence number 1. Eveidence number two can actually be seen from the outside looking into the lens. You will notice 5 clear refector diffusers around the center 168 bulb. There are 5 LED's under them. Evidence number 3 is that white connector shown by the red arrow. This powers the LED board. The two other bulbs have their own power harness. Evidence number 4 is the most telling of them all aside from the actual LED that I could see. This is stamped on the back of the tail light housing as shown in the 2nd pic below. It says "LED 12V 6.3W" In relation, the area near the 5W 168 bulb the casing is stamped with "5W" and the blinker bulb area is stamped with "21W" Now, you guys have to back me up the next time someone questions the LED tails in the RX330.

Anyway, here are the pics.

My 2004 RX 330 has red LED brake lights. What is the part number for this assembly and I can order it or get one from a salvage

Quick Reply: RX330 Tail lights? Are the LEDs only on the RX400h?