RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

A few 400h questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 08:19 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few 400h questions...

I was thinking about buying a new 400h for my mom for her birthday (don't worry, it's not till August so I think my dealer will be able to get me one by then), but I have a few questions.

1. Will it be able to pull their boat? How big of a boat can it pull? Can the CVT handle it?
2. Will a higher octane fuel increase the fuel economy much?
3. She doesn't like nav (feels it can be a safety/distraction issue), but is the screen the same (i.e. fairly easy to upgrade to nav in the future)?
4. Can the non-nav screen be easily modded to accept an auxillary video input?

I'll probably think of a bunch more right after I hit submit, but that's all for now. I really like the idea of decreased independance on the middle east for oil, the smoothness, and environmental friendliness of the 400h (oh, and the $2k tax rebate is a nice perk!). I went and test drove one this evening and it was spectacular! Thanks for the help, guys.
Old 04-26-05, 08:25 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

I was just looking at the Lexus website and didn't see that Nav was an option. IS IT STANDARD??
Old 04-26-05, 08:27 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omaha_lex
I was thinking about buying a new 400h for my mom for her birthday (don't worry, it's not till August so I think my dealer will be able to get me one by then), but I have a few questions.

1. Will it be able to pull their boat? How big of a boat can it pull? Can the CVT handle it?
2. Will a higher octane fuel increase the fuel economy much?
3. She doesn't like nav (feels it can be a safety/distraction issue), but is the screen the same (i.e. fairly easy to upgrade to nav in the future)?
4. Can the non-nav screen be easily modded to accept an auxillary video input?

I'll probably think of a bunch more right after I hit submit, but that's all for now. I really like the idea of decreased independance on the middle east for oil, the smoothness, and environmental friendliness of the 400h (oh, and the $2k tax rebate is a nice perk!). I went and test drove one this evening and it was spectacular! Thanks for the help, guys.
You can't get a non-NAV h. The NAV system is standard equipment. The only options are heated front seats, Mark Levinson audio, and rear seat entertainment system. All the inventory I've seen in the Northern Virginia area shows them with heated seats, but no ML audio.

Last edited by jayskinner; 04-26-05 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-27-05, 06:43 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

1. The RX400h has a 3500 lb towing capacity.
2. Higher octane will increase performance and burn cleaner, but, the fuel economy is negligable if any.
3. Nav is standard in the U.S.
4. If you opt for the RSES you can watch a DVD on the nav screen when the vehicle is stationary, with the parking brake depressed.
Old 04-27-05, 06:48 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any information if the nav is standard in Hawaii as well? So far Lexus has not offered any navigation in Hawaii even in their 06 GS. Acura already offers it in the 2005 RL, so I was hoping Lexus would start as well. When I saw the RX400H at our local new car show I couldn't see if there was an actual nav screen since they had the information screen up.
Old 04-27-05, 06:54 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[1] The RX 400h is not designed to be driven off-road.
Also, does anyone know why this is the case? I got this information off a Lexus websire.
Old 04-27-05, 07:43 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

The RX400h does not have a full time 4WD system, like the RX330 does. The rear wheels are driven exclusively by an electric motor. I believe continuous poor traction (off road use) will deplete the power to the rear wheels, thus giving you only front wheel drive power = Higher likelihood of getting stuck.
Old 04-27-05, 09:47 AM
Rocky2
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear wheel traction

The problem is driving into mud, sand or any situation where for an extended period you could create and excessive amount of continuous wheel spin, you can burn out the rear electric motors.

In other words, don’t go to one of these off road test courses, intentionally drive into deep mud, sand, or stray to far from home when the snow is already deep and still falling.

Think of it as great assist in snow, with some but limited off roading capability on dry land.

Keep in mind that front wheel drive is better in snow, and you have added push from rear wheels on demand.
Old 04-27-05, 05:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky2
The problem is driving into mud, sand or any situation where for an extended period you could create and excessive amount of continuous wheel spin, you can burn out the rear electric motors.

In other words, don’t go to one of these off road test courses, intentionally drive into deep mud, sand, or stray to far from home when the snow is already deep and still falling.

Think of it as great assist in snow, with some but limited off roading capability on dry land.

Keep in mind that front wheel drive is better in snow, and you have added push from rear wheels on demand.
you wont burn it, but it will not operate after it gets too hot... For normal use, it works jus nicely, gravel/snow/mud dont mean a thing to it, as long as you dont do it for a long time...