RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

lexus 15k service??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-05, 02:29 PM
lexrkool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus 15k service??

Hi all! I just joined club lex but I've owned my RX330 since Jan 2004 but yeah I just got my 15k service... $284.00 yikes... all I saw them do was: change the oil, change air filter(s), rotate tires (NO BALANCE), and wash the car... perhaps I should only do major services at lexus.. I thought it would just be an oil change.. like 100 bucks max for this service!!! I didn't even get a loaner!!! (I'm only 19... ok so wat) but ya otherwise i like the car!! kool um thanks!
Old 04-13-05, 02:31 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Get it done at a local automotive place that you trust would be my choice ... ridiculous to pay out the nose for something that costs NOWHERE near what you pay for it.
Old 04-13-05, 04:01 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexrkool, welcome to CLexus! You might try to negotiate another price. Lots of information on CL for DIY too if you are inclined.
Old 04-13-05, 04:24 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, there are lots of threads about how overpriced Lexus service is. To add insult to injury, the "service consultants" often add things that aren't required by the maintenance schedule. You should be able to say, "I need the 15K mile service", but you can't - every dealer makes up their own version.

Even a Toyota dealer is usually more reasonable than a Lexus dealer. The same engine is used in the Sienna, Highlander, and Camry, so most maintenance tasks are no problem for Toyota. The only thing a Toyota dealer can't do is warranty work.
Old 04-13-05, 08:47 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not only Lexus add all kinds of junk to the service menu, they refuse (politely) to do items mentioned in the owner's manual. Such as re-torquing the drive shaft and including the spare into tire rotation. What gives?

Toyota ExpressLube is my new best friend.
Old 04-14-05, 07:24 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

These guys are all pushed and rewarded for sales of services. I guess things like adding the spare in the rotation adds time but no value to the reward program. IMHO, some of the stuff I read about could be considered borderline fraud.
Old 04-14-05, 08:17 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Welcome to CL, lexrcool!

Originally Posted by lexrkool
Hi all! I just joined club lex but I've owned my RX330 since Jan 2004 but yeah I just got my 15k service... $284.00 yikes... all I saw them do was: change the oil, change air filter(s), rotate tires (NO BALANCE), and wash the car... perhaps I should only do major services at lexus.. I thought it would just be an oil change.. like 100 bucks max for this service!!! I didn't even get a loaner!!! (I'm only 19... ok so wat) but ya otherwise i like the car!! kool um thanks!
It looks like you are the recipient of the (in)famous $100 car wash! Call around and price similar services from other Lexus dealers in your area. It might be good to know a reasonable dealer when you have a more serious service need. Toyota dealers, and most Lexus dealers are much more reasonable on routine service.

I recently took my 2RX in for a tire pressure warning light that was acting strange . . . I thought. They found a small nail and fixed the flat, road tested the car and gave it back - all in about an hour (they even offered a loaner). My bill? Zip, zero, nada!

That's the kind of service you are looking for!
Old 04-14-05, 08:19 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, Discount Tire Co. always fix flat for free if you buy the tires from them. And most service stations fix flat for $5 - not worth their time, but they just do it for the common good I guess.

I expect Lexus dealers to give me a good price for factory recommended maintenance. If they want to add "value," they should be separate "add-ons" or "come-ons" on the menu, not part of the package. Most importantly, they should not make up all kinds of excuses not to perform factory recommended maintenance items.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 04-14-05 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-15-05, 01:22 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I never take my cars to the dealership except for warranty work. Why pay more??
Old 04-15-05, 01:52 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not sure what can be easier than changing the air filter. DIY will save you a lot of $
Old 04-17-05, 08:42 PM
spaniola
Rookie

Got a question for you all..

My RX330 is approaching the 15k mark, and I called Meade Lexus of southfield to check how much the 15k service was, before taxes almost 400 dollars.

My question is, my friend has a top notch oil change establishment and said he could do a complete mobil 1 synthetic oil change, mobil one filter, the works, for alot cheaper then 400. Like buy the oil and filter and give him some cash..

Now what do Lexus perform on 15k service, anything that a normal oil change wouldnt do?

I am just wondering if i should have lexus do this service, or go synthetic from non lexus service.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-05, 03:52 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, you'd have to ask the dealer that gave you the price quote what they would do.
As we've said before, there is no standard "15K mile service" - each dealer makes it up, and it usually doesn't correspond exactly with what's in your maintenance book.

At 15K miles, the 2004 RX330 book says to:
Inspect: Brake pads, brake lines, steering linkage and boots, rack and pinion ***'y, ball joints, drive shaft boots, transfer case oil (AWD), rear diff oil (AWD), exhaust system mounts
Replace: Oil, oil filter, cabin air filter
Also: Rotate tires, torque nuts/bolts on chassis, inspect engine air filter (if it's 12 months old)
Old 04-18-05, 06:59 AM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

Originally Posted by lexrkool

Welcome to the club. Here's hoping you're a " quick learner ". I hope the dealer used protection and you both enjoyed that cigarette afterwards!
Old 04-21-05, 04:21 PM
parula
Instructor

Bowtie, smoking is reported to be bad for one's health.
Old 04-24-05, 07:50 PM
mcdec
Driver School Candidate

check ur local toyota dealer. When i bought my lexus i was told I can actually have it serviced in the toyota dealership. Well thats what I did with the 10 k check and i paid half of what lexus would have charged me. lobby is not as nice as lexus and theirs no car wash. Major maintence scheds will also save me $100 more later. They follow same checks as a 4 runner!

Quick Reply: lexus 15k service??