RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Quality Difference in Japan vs Canada Manufacture?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 02:24 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Do a search.....this topic has been covered recently.
Old 04-11-05, 03:20 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 700t
Do you have something against Canada or the people that build the RX @ TMMC.
Is your RX made in Japan or Canada? Have you had any problems that would make you slam the Canadian made RX?
You may have missed my original post:

According to the Consumer Reports survey, the new Highlander (Japan-built only) gets the excellent rating for reliability, while the new RX330 (combined Japan & Canada) receives the above average rating for reliability. So take a wild guess on how the chuckwagon RX330 hold up.

I stick to the facts. Since you are new to ClubLexus, you may find the following link useful:
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2160/1/126/

Welcome to ClubLexus.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 04-11-05 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-11-05, 04:12 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lexuslover - call your dealer or the Lexus 800 number if you think you're affected by the recall.

The exact serial # range (last 4-5 digits of the VIN) on the Cat Converter recall is:
2WD - 1284 - 6137
4WD - 1700 - 12110
These units were made in Japan between February and April, 2003.
Old 04-11-05, 04:35 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rxdriver - thanks again for your help.

my vin # for japan-built AWD in Feb 2003 is ...0001642. how strange - i am just before the 1700 start of that vin # recall and for some reason not affected?
Old 04-11-05, 09:10 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is strange. I'd probably still call and see what they say. However, the Special Service Campaign (or "SSC", which is Toyota-speak for "recall") documentation says explicitly that no units before or after that range are affected. The dealer where you bought the car was sent a list of the exact VIN's affected and the owner info, so both Lexus corporate and the dealer should have contacted you around July, 2003 if something should have been done.

Maybe the very first batch of converters was OK, and it was the second batch that was bad.

The problem manifests itself as an unusual noise coming from the exhaust system. It's not a mechanical issue, and it doesn't say anything about the car being unsafe to drive.

If you call them, you can reference SSC number 3LE.
Old 04-12-05, 01:28 AM
Legendman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
I am in the process of getting the (05 RX330 AWD). I need one that is made in japan, and my question is how can i tell which one is made in japan? I thought that all lexus are suppose to have a little sticker that says where the origin is. I just don't want to go there, and my sales guy points out disunhonestly, because he wants to make a quick sale, and whats not my best interest.

Thanks.

Yes, there is a very simple way to know which plant manufactured your RX. All the VINs (Vehicle Identification Numbers) on Japanese produced cars begin with a capital "J", for Japan. The VIN for Canadian built cars begins with the number "2". If you want a car from the Japanese plant, it must list "J" as the very first character in the VIN.

Once I learned this, I called the various dealers here in Southern California and learned that of the 4 RX AWDs I had located, only one was from Japan. And that's the one I bought.

Last edited by Legendman; 04-14-05 at 12:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-12-05, 07:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Is it still true that only the base RX & the one with the large sunroof are built in Japan ?

I know that's the case when the RX330 first came out . I' ve no experience with the RX to comment on whether there are difference in quality between the Japanese & Canadian built RX, but you normally have more issues for a first year model, even for a Lexus, so I hope they' ve iron those out by now whether it's Canadian or Japanese.
Old 04-12-05, 07:31 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Is it still true that only the base RX & the one with the large sunroof are built in Japan ?

I know that's the case when the RX330 first came out . I' ve no experience with the RX to comment on whether there are difference in quality between the Japanese & Canadian built RX, but you normally have more issues for a first year model, even for a Lexus, so I hope they' ve iron those out by now whether it's Canadian or Japanese.
I don't think that was true even when the RX330 first came out. I have an 04 that was build sometime in March 2003 (Maybe Feb I have to check) and delivered to me in April 2003. I have a Premium Plus package and no large sunroof but the normal small glass one. In fact, I think all the early 2004 RX330's came from Japan since the Canadian plant wasn't ready until later that year sometime
Old 04-12-05, 07:55 AM
claud
Driver School Candidate

Might be. Our 05 Jap RX330 is a 2WD, premium package with tow upgrade(but no tow hitch), rain sensor wipers, and 18" wheels. Delivered 12/31/04. That's pretty basic.
Old 04-12-05, 07:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Maybe in Hawaii it makes more sense to import from Japan than from Canada. You're probably right that the early ones may all be from Japan, but I was told in 03 that in Canada, you can only get the base & the one with the large sunroof if you want a Japanese made RX once the Canadian manufacturing of the RX starts, I just want to know whether that's still the case now.
Old 04-14-05, 09:06 AM
krpster
Rookie

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
You may have missed my original post:

According to the Consumer Reports survey, the new Highlander (Japan-built only) gets the excellent rating for reliability, while the new RX330 (combined Japan & Canada) receives the above average rating for reliability. So take a wild guess on how the chuckwagon RX330 hold up.

I stick to the facts. Since you are new to ClubLexus, you may find the following link useful:
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2160/1/126/

Welcome to ClubLexus.
You sure hang your hat on the CR surveys. That is a lot of faith to put into one magazine.
Old 04-14-05, 01:31 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by krpster
You sure hang your hat on the CR surveys. That is a lot of faith to put into one magazine.
Agreed krp! It makes no difference where it's built imo, plus I had the chance to tour the actual Canadian plant in Cambridge, Ontario.....I'd buy a vehicle built there in a heartbeat.....Toyota OR Lexus. People make too much of this subject. Many complaints have come from the first Gen RX & they were all built in Japan!
Old 04-14-05, 08:16 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This sure reminds me of the "Detroit attitude" back in the '80s. Fortunately that attitude no longer exists in the Motor City and American car reliability has gradually improved over the years.

The CR survey was based on over 610,000 survey forms collected. Not the opinions of the magazine editors.

Let's hope the non-Japanese plant realize there're quality issues. And the workforce is working day and night to fix them. This way when I am ready to buy another Lexus, I can get one from this plant.
Old 04-15-05, 02:23 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Maybe in Hawaii it makes more sense to import from Japan than from Canada. .
This could be the case, I do know we get a lot of Japan built cars for that very reason.
Old 04-15-05, 03:01 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
This could be the case, I do know we get a lot of Japan built cars for that very reason.
Yes, folks in HI would have the RX built in Japan. That makes sense.

Quick Reply: Quality Difference in Japan vs Canada Manufacture?