RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 Tire Pressure Sensors work as advertised

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 01:57 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up RX 330 tire pressure sensors work - as advertised

Saturday night on the way home, my low tire pressure warning light came on. I exited the freeway and pulled into a gas station to take a look. No visible problem, and my cheap tire gauge showed none either. My wife’s car has the good gauge, naturally. When I turned off the ignition, the warning reset, and there was no further problem in the next 20 miles home.

Sunday, out on the freeway, the warning light came on again. Still no obvious problem, so I continued on. About 5 miles later, the light went out. After being parked at our destination for about 4 hours, finally the right rear tire looked a little low. I limped to a nearby gas station and checked – it was about 10 lbs low! I aired the tire up to 35 lbs and drove home. No more problems.

Tire still OK this morning, still no recurrence of the warning light. I drove to the Lexus dealership to get it checked, not trusting the local flat-busters. They found a small nail had produced a very slow leak.

Lessons learned:
  • Tire pressure monitor compares revolutions of wheels and is able to detect very small discrepancies in tire pressure.
  • It won’t tell you which tire is low, and this can be frustrating, unless you take time to check them all with an accurate gauge.
  • In the case of a very slow leak, the warning light may go out as flexing sidewall warms air and restores pressure and diameter.
  • Service writer says his wife has experienced the same thing, but with a faster leak, it may require as much as a mile for the sensor to decide there is a problem – at which point the tire is well and truly flat.
  • When the light comes on, pull over, it’s not lying.
Old 03-28-05, 05:20 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Saturday night on the way home, my low tire pressure warning light came on. I exited the freeway and pulled into a gas station to take a look. No visible problem, and my cheap tire gauge showed none either. My wife’s car has the good gauge, naturally. When I turned off the ignition, the warning reset, and there was no further problem in the next 20 miles home.

Sunday, out on the freeway, the warning light came on again. Still no obvious problem, so I continued on. About 5 miles later, the light went out. After being parked at our destination for about 4 hours, finally the right rear tire looked a little low. I limped to a nearby gas station and checked – it was about 10 lbs low! I aired the tire up to 35 lbs and drove home. No more problems.

Tire still OK this morning, still no recurrence of the warning light. I drove to the Lexus dealership to get it checked, not trusting the local flat-busters. They found a small nail had produced a very slow leak.

Lessons learned:
  • Tire pressure monitor compares revolutions of wheels and is able to detect very small discrepancies in tire pressure.
  • It won’t tell you which tire is low, and this can be frustrating, unless you take time to check them all with an accurate gauge.
  • In the case of a very slow leak, the warning light may go out as flexing sidewall warms air and restores pressure and diameter.
  • Service writer says his wife has experienced the same thing, but with a faster leak, it may require as much as a mile for the sensor to decide there is a problem – at which point the tire is well and truly flat.
  • When the light comes on, pull over, it’s not lying.

Is the tire pressure sensor set for a specified psi? 29psi??

I know that 30psi is the recommended pressure. Anyone knows?
Old 03-28-05, 05:40 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Owner's Manual tells you how to calibrate the system.
The best thing to do is set the tires to the pressure you want, and then calibrate it. (That's part of the pre-delivery checklist when the car is new.)

Also bear in mind that this system is a differential design - it's not based on absolute pressure. It's based on detection of the fact that one wheel is different from the others. If all 4 went flat at the same time, you wouldn't get a warning.

The people that lobbied the U.S. goverment to make a tire pressure warning system mandatory on new cars consider this system a cop-out. They wanted to mandate something that tells you the actual pressure in all 4 wheels and displays it. Some cars offer that, but the differential system meets U.S. standards.

I believe tire pressure warning systems are required on all new cars in the U.S. starting in 2006, thanks to the Ford Explorer / Firestone tire fiasco.
Old 03-28-05, 06:08 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear it works. Since our new home (and subdivision) is being built, I'm a little worried about nails around the neighborhood when I go to check on the house.
Old 03-28-05, 09:56 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rxdriver
The Owner's Manual tells you how to calibrate the system.
The best thing to do is set the tires to the pressure you want, and then calibrate it. (That's part of the pre-delivery checklist when the car is new.)

Also bear in mind that this system is a differential design - it's not based on absolute pressure. It's based on detection of the fact that one wheel is different from the others. If all 4 went flat at the same time, you wouldn't get a warning.

The people that lobbied the U.S. goverment to make a tire pressure warning system mandatory on new cars consider this system a cop-out. They wanted to mandate something that tells you the actual pressure in all 4 wheels and displays it. Some cars offer that, but the differential system meets U.S. standards.

I believe tire pressure warning systems are required on all new cars in the U.S. starting in 2006, thanks to the Ford Explorer / Firestone tire fiasco.
Rxdriver,

I meant to say when it came out from the dealer (pre-delivery checklist). What do they set the tire pressure psi warning at?? I read the part on calibrating on the manual...........just wondering what the dealer set it to?
Old 03-28-05, 10:01 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well never know what the dealer set it at! Probably best thing to do is do it yourself, so you know what the pressure is.

Im going to have to do that to mine-----come to think of it
Old 03-28-05, 10:32 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextranny
What do they set the tire pressure psi warning at?? I read the part on calibrating on the manual...........just wondering what the dealer set it to?
The sensors do not directly measure pressure, thus are not "set" for a pressure. This system uses the ABS sensors that read wheel speed to interpret a wheel turning faster than the others (due to reduced diameter) as being lower in pressure than the others. If you have all four wheels turning at the same speed, they can be assumed to be at the same pressure. It doesn't matter if that pressure is 40 psi or 20 psi - so long as they are all turning at the same speed, no warning is given.

If you set your tires to whatever pressure you desire, then calibrate the system, you will get a warning light if relative wheel speed exceeds some small value (I believe corresponding to a pressure as little as 3-4 psi), you will get a low tire warning.

Last edited by Lil4X; 03-28-05 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 03:15 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Is the tire pressure sensor set for a specified psi? 29psi??

I know that 30psi is the recommended pressure. Anyone knows?
Like what was mentioned above, it detects the difference between the tires via the wheel sensors. Technically, if you lost air pressure in all 4 tires at the same rate the system would not detect anything. Highly unlikely, but still possible.
Old 03-29-05, 05:49 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The sensors do not directly measure pressure, thus are not "set" for a pressure. This system uses the ABS sensors that read wheel speed to interpret a wheel turning faster than the others (due to reduced diameter) as being lower in pressure than the others. If you have all four wheels turning at the same speed, they can be assumed to be at the same pressure. It doesn't matter if that pressure is 40 psi or 20 psi - so long as they are all turning at the same speed, no warning is given.

If you set your tires to whatever pressure you desire, then calibrate the system, you will get a warning light if relative wheel speed exceeds some small value (I believe corresponding to a pressure as little as 3-4 psi), you will get a low tire warning.
This all explains why there is no dash readout showing what the exact pressure is. My new GS430 also only has a warning light, but I still take issue with what you are saying.

I had a low pressure light come and it went off after I raised the air pressure (left the engine running). The process I used is covered here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155433 so its no fluke. The pressure had to exceed a certain threshold to turn the lamp off.

I also have a GX470 and believe it operates the same way. If I'm right and the RX shares the same system as the GS, then the speed sensor is the sole sensor concept has to be wrong.
Old 03-29-05, 10:21 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Thanks all for the explanation....
Old 03-29-05, 03:25 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish all my cars had this nice safety feature, especially my RX!
Old 03-29-05, 03:38 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by parula
I wish all my cars had this nice safety feature, especially my RX!
Parula,

Time to upgrade.......
Old 03-29-05, 03:46 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LexT, now that's just not right!
Just got this baby a couple years ago and at 23k she's not even broken in. But i'm sort of thinkin the same thing! Gotta get permission to upgrade though . . . ....
Wife might want something first!
Old 03-30-05, 04:32 AM
Domo-Kun
Rookie

Crap my $29,000 350z has the tire pressure monitor with individual psi reading for each tire, however our $42,000 RX330 only beeps and flashes a light. WTF? Of course there are a bunch of stuff missing on the Nissan that the RX does have, hence, why I purchased it.
Old 03-30-05, 08:16 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I just think this stuff (like a lot these days) is unnecessary technology.

Quick Reply: RX 330 Tire Pressure Sensors work as advertised