RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX to '06 IS still?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 04:38 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX to '06 IS still?

Took the RX in for the brake light recall and got a sedan as a loaner (ES). Driving around doing my errands, it felt fine. But after picking up my RX and driving off, WOW, what a difference the ride height does to me. It felt more natural, more commanding.

I was so set and ready to sell the RX after seeing the new IS, but after driving at the sedan height, I'm not too sure if I want it. Could the power of the IS350 change my mind? (the ES's accelleration felt so weak compared to my RX, even though it has the same engine).

Anyone else divided over ride height/cargo capability vs. low ride height/sports/features? (I'm totally sold on SmartAccess and push button start/stop)

What to do, what to do!?!
Old 03-26-05, 05:25 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Insight, a cruel mistress . . .

I've been casting envious eyes at that new GS too, but as you say, it's that driving position that gets me. Maybe I've reached the point in life that I prefer function over form, but I prefer the step-in entry to the squat and slide of a sedan, as well as the improved sight-line of the RX. Maybe as I mature, I’m becoming more pragmatic about my choice of transportation. No more muscle-bound rat-racers with near-solid suspensions . . .

There's another thing to think about, too - although I'm sure it's just psychological. Sometimes moments of great clarity come in a flash . . .

In early '00 I drove to New Orleans on business, and since I didn't need the cargo capacity of my Suburban (14mpg) I chose my Civic EX (36mpg) commuter for the trip. All was well until returning home about daylight on I-10 in a cold driving rain, an 18-wheeler slowly passed me at about 75. I looked to my left and through the fog and spray, saw my dim reflection in his front wheel hubcap - about level with my shoulder, and suddenly in a flash of cold sweat, I had a great insight: "he could squash me like a little green bug and never know it!!!"

I nearly panicked - disregarding the Louisiana state cops and their retirement plan based entirely on people with Texas plates - I floored it . . . pulling what had to be a vapor trail all the way to the safety of the Sabine River.

No more road trips for the Civic, no more piloting the Queen Mary on the Interstate either. I bought my first RX a week later.
Old 03-26-05, 08:51 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd never drive a car again after seeing so many side impact photos of cars. The RX has the perfect height and I like the upright seating position. I don't care if the gas goes up to $5/gallon, I will always drive SUVs. After all, the hybrid SUVs are coming.
Old 03-26-05, 10:00 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

I'm SUV forever. Once i went inside my friend's camry, damn!! hit my head several times and when on the road, feels like the car's going to touch and scrape the asphalt!!!
Old 03-26-05, 12:49 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Cool, I'm not the only one!

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I've been casting envious eyes at that new GS too, but as you say, it's that driving position that gets me. Maybe I've reached the point in life that I prefer function over form, but I prefer the step-in entry to the squat and slide of a sedan, as well as the improved sight-line of the RX. Maybe as I mature, I’m becoming more pragmatic about my choice of transportation. No more muscle-bound rat-racers with near-solid suspensions . . .

There's another thing to think about, too - although I'm sure it's just psychological. Sometimes moments of great clarity come in a flash . . .

In early '00 I drove to New Orleans on business, and since I didn't need the cargo capacity of my Suburban (14mpg) I chose my Civic EX (36mpg) commuter for the trip. All was well until returning home about daylight on I-10 in a cold driving rain, an 18-wheeler slowly passed me at about 75. I looked to my left and through the fog and spray, saw my dim reflection in his front wheel hubcap - about level with my shoulder, and suddenly in a flash of cold sweat, I had a great insight: "he could squash me like a little green bug and never know it!!!"

I nearly panicked - disregarding the Louisiana state cops and their retirement plan based entirely on people with Texas plates - I floored it . . . pulling what had to be a vapor trail all the way to the safety of the Sabine River.

No more road trips for the Civic, no more piloting the Queen Mary on the Interstate either. I bought my first RX a week later.
This is some write-up! Do you write for Car & Driver?
Old 03-26-05, 02:15 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Do you write for Car & Driver?
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! Thanks!
Old 03-26-05, 03:42 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SUV's forever for me too, the height visibility advantage is worth whatever price; every time I move from a sedan to my RX I appreciate the view!
Old 03-26-05, 07:54 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by parula
SUV's forever for me too, the height visibility advantage is worth whatever price; every time I move from a sedan to my RX I appreciate the view!

just trying to stoop down to get in make a whole lot of difference for me in car height
Old 03-28-05, 08:02 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to Insurance Instutite For Highway Safty the RX300 is among the models with lowest death rates. http://www.hwysafety.org/srpdfs/sr4003.pdf

Last edited by BrickHead; 03-28-05 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 09:36 AM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

HAHAHAHA!

i was feelin' the new GS as well but after reading this thread i'm gonna hafta do some serious test driving first.
Old 03-28-05, 02:45 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

lol, i didn't even noticed that you said this!
Old 03-28-05, 02:58 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RX900, well, in this house my wife has the step down issue with cars but I'm startin to like just stepping over to get in !
then we're well under 6'
Old 04-01-05, 02:58 AM
nike13
Driver School Candidate

post #2...anyways im gonna get rid of my RX soon. im tired of putting gas in it every three days. looking to get something low and fast........having a car with a higher driving height and size might make a difference if its a big car your talking about like LX470 or land cruiser size. otherwise the RX im sorry to say is like a raised up camry with no real off road capabilities, limited space, and guzzles gas.
Old 04-01-05, 03:23 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm still a big fan of low sports cars or sporty cars. I still have a hard time driving the RX330 as the roll center is too high for my taste. I get caught on occation going a little too fast in the RX around corners. Hopefully when I lower the RX a bit it will help. As high as the RX is, the over all vision isn't really t much better than cars. The A pillars are quite thick and the rear view is not exactly the best (Not bad though). The only way I'll get another SUV is if my wife wants one again after the RX330. Otherwise I'll stick to cars for myself. My next car for myself is probably between the IS350, maybe the GS, and the RL. No trucks for me personally
Old 04-02-05, 01:36 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
No trucks for me personally
I thought the same myself... we actually came to Oahu to look for Tacomas (which were ALL sold out except for a few w/ packages we weren't interested in). I've never experienced a truck that was so quiet and smooth (at one point I thought it was smoother than my RX!?!)

Quick Reply: RX to '06 IS still?