RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replacing Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 06:13 AM
groggrog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing Stereo?

Hi - I"m thinking about purchasing an RX330 later in the year and am curious about the stereo/nav system.

I'd like to replace the stereo head unit but keep the navigation system. Is this even possible to do or should I forget about it?

Thanks
Old 03-11-05, 06:49 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Welcome aboard!

Originally Posted by groggrog
Hi - I"m thinking about purchasing an RX330 later in the year and am curious about the stereo/nav system.

I'd like to replace the stereo head unit but keep the navigation system. Is this even possible to do or should I forget about it?

Thanks
Welcome to CL, grog!

While the nav and stereo systems are largely separate, changing the head unit is probably the last thing I'd want to do. The standard (or the ML) head unit is outstanding and it is not worth tearing up your new car to change it. You might be happier upgrading the speakers, instaling amp and subs, depending on your choice of music.

If you must replace the head unit, invest in a full service manual if you're going to DIY, otherwise have a shop do the install only after you read their insurance documentation and are sure they are current in their payments. Oh, and let them see you taking pictures of the interior before you release the car to them. We don't want them claiming "it was already like that".

Letting some ex-burger-flipping kid mess around in my new Lexus just gives me chills.

See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153154

Good luck!

Last edited by Lil4X; 03-11-05 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-11-05, 06:55 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree. What exactly are you trying to do? Keep in mind I'm a huge aftermarket audio system person. I strongly believe I can do better going aftermarket, but there are a lot of good ways to go about upgrading the stock Lexus systems. First, if you hav nav and want video on the nav screen, visit www.vaistech.com for an A/V interface unit. Same if you just want to add AUX inputs of iPod to the stock system. Upgrading the amp and speakers would be a really good start though. If you must go aftermarket, I just found someone in Japan that ordered me the Harrier (JDM RX330) double DIN radio opening that replaces the stock RX330 odd shape radio with a standard 2DIN. The angled edges are the same but it now has a 2DIN slot for aftermarket radios. Mine hasn't arrived yet.
Old 03-11-05, 08:20 AM
groggrog
Driver School Candidate

Hi - thanks for the helpful info!

I really would like to replace the stock unit because there are several features I use alot on my aftermarket that are not offered by Lexus. It's a Kenwood system, and has Sirius, Kenwood Music Keg, and a 12 disc changer. Also the unit has high level sound field capabilities as well as a multitude of other bells-n-whistles.

I definitely would upgrade the speakers and amp's too.

Greg.

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Welcome to CL, grog!

While the nav and stereo systems are largely separate, changing the head unit is probably the last thing I'd want to do. The standard (or the ML) head unit is outstanding and it is not worth tearing up your new car to change it. You might be happier upgrading the speakers, instaling amp and subs, depending on your choice of music.

If you must replace the head unit, invest in a full service manual if you're going to DIY, otherwise have a shop do the install only after you read their insurance documentation and are sure they are current in their payments. Oh, and let them see you taking pictures of the interior before you release the car to them. We don't want them claiming "it was already like that".

Letting some ex-burger-flipping kid mess around in my new Lexus just gives me chills.

See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153154

Good luck!
Old 03-11-05, 08:21 AM
groggrog
Driver School Candidate

Thanks also for the helpful info. Can you let me know where you found that double din opening from Japan? I'd like to check into it too. Of course, I'm not planning on purchasing anything until summer at earliest, but I want to make sure I can do what I want to do with the Rx330.

Thanks again...

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I agree. What exactly are you trying to do? Keep in mind I'm a huge aftermarket audio system person. I strongly believe I can do better going aftermarket, but there are a lot of good ways to go about upgrading the stock Lexus systems. First, if you hav nav and want video on the nav screen, visit www.vaistech.com for an A/V interface unit. Same if you just want to add AUX inputs of iPod to the stock system. Upgrading the amp and speakers would be a really good start though. If you must go aftermarket, I just found someone in Japan that ordered me the Harrier (JDM RX330) double DIN radio opening that replaces the stock RX330 odd shape radio with a standard 2DIN. The angled edges are the same but it now has a 2DIN slot for aftermarket radios. Mine hasn't arrived yet.
Old 03-11-05, 09:56 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by groggrog
Thanks also for the helpful info. Can you let me know where you found that double din opening from Japan? I'd like to check into it too. Of course, I'm not planning on purchasing anything until summer at earliest, but I want to make sure I can do what I want to do with the Rx330.

Thanks again...
My source got it from the Japan Toyota dealer. I just received word that he shipped it out, so I should get it soon (However long it takes for shipping from Japan to Hawaii). When I get it I;ll post pictures and details. Hopefully it is the right piece since I believe he just described the unit and trusted the parts guy at the dealer.