RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Article on Tranny Hesitation Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 10:42 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i am not sure how often i am going 20-30 mph on the freeway (usually i am about 65-70 by the time i get on), but during traffic i do go that slow, and i haven't noticed that.

if i need to gun it to switch lanes, the car will downshift and give me more power. but usually in traffic i don't make those kinds of moves so suddenly because it's crowded. is this happening EVERY time for you? it sounds strange . . . and defin abnormal.

btw, in addition to replacing the transmission cooler lines, i have had my ECU thing reset after about 1 yr of ownership when i first complained about the herky-jerky nature of the transmission in low gears. have you done both of these yet?
Lexuslover,

You have a nice collection of cars there..... How you like the GS430? I'm thinking of getting one. PM me.
Old 04-22-05, 11:08 AM
Legendman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, Problems with 2005 RX 330 Transmission Hesitation

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Have anyone had this problem on their 2005 RX 330??

I'm planning to get the 2005 AWD. Any inputs..?

Thanks.......

Yes, I am having exactly those troubles on my brand new 2005 RX330 AWD. At least three times so far.

I am taking it back to the dealer. It must be fixed permanently. Anything less is dangerous.
Old 04-22-05, 12:17 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Legendman
Yes, I am having exactly those troubles on my brand new 2005 RX330 AWD. At least three times so far.

I am taking it back to the dealer. It must be fixed permanently. Anything less is dangerous.

Keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need the TSB #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-05, 12:47 PM
LexFather

I am positive I read that you can get tranny software updates to help or fix this problem. (looking for article)....................
Old 04-22-05, 01:48 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default Only on early '04's

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am positive I read that you can get tranny software updates to help or fix this problem. (looking for article)....................
Mike, remember they had applied the software update to mine and it still did it, "that is how it is supposed to be" was their response.

That is why I lost the $$ I did and got a GX --- much nicer all the way around......
Old 04-22-05, 05:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gx470atl
Mike, remember they had applied the software update to mine and it still did it, "that is how it is supposed to be" was their response.

That is why I lost the $$ I did and got a GX --- much nicer all the way around......
Yeah, good point. Here is the article
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05102/486687.stm
Old 04-22-05, 08:01 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I think I'm going to give the TSB a try ... the software fix ... hopefully it improves the shifting some.
Old 04-22-05, 08:56 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for that article; I'm gonna have that computer upgrade soon. Lexusluver was talking about a oil or tranny cooler line replaced, which I did, but that was for the clunking noise that happened when you come to a stop and when letting off the gas while cruising.
Old 04-23-05, 02:20 PM
RAP
Driver

I have the 04 RX330 AWD and the same issue that all the others have.

What I don't understand is why Lexus "engineers" can't find a fix after all this time, probably thousands of complaints and numerous articles.

Has anyone heard of the possibility of a class action suite against Toyota/Lexus? I would add my name to the list. I spent too much money to have a car with such a serious defect.
Old 04-23-05, 11:34 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, good point. Here is the article
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05102/486687.stm

Thanks for the article Sicklex!!!!! I'm gonna give the software upgrade a try!
Old 04-24-05, 12:08 AM
Legendman
Driver School Candidate

Default More of the Same Party Line: Doubletalk and EmptySpeak

I took my 2005 RX330 AWD to the dealer a few days ago. First, the service manager acted like he didn't know what I was talking about (tranny hesitation) then slowly as it dawned on him that I knew exactly what I was talking about it, he started with the same blah-blah-blah that you other guys have reported.

Later he took it for a test drive and naturally it came back with an "Operating as manfactured", etc. I got the same answer regarding the excess wind noise.

Its apparent to me that the Lexus/Toyota party line is to stonewall this. The problem is too big for them to recall all the cars involved. Cheaper to pay a few wrongful death claims that recall half a million transmissions.

Will Lexus do the right thing, and fix the problem, or at least issue a service advisory to warn owners that the potential for accident exists, or will they do the 'Ford Pinto' thing -- wait until a few of us are burned to death in a fiery collision at an intersection? Only time, the NHTSA, and a class action law suit will tell. I wonder if Consumer Reports knows about this? JD Powers?

Stay tuned ... Dealer #2 is next week.

Last edited by Legendman; 04-24-05 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-24-05, 08:51 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

I took my 2005 RX330 AWD to the dealer a few days ago. First, the service manager acted like he didn't know what I was talking about (tranny hesitation) then slowly as it dawned on him that I knew exactly what I was talking about it, he started with the same blah-blah-blah that you other guys have reported.

Later he took it for a test drive and naturally it came back with an "Operating as manfactured", etc. I got the same answer regarding the excess wind noise.

Its apparent to me that the Lexus/Toyota party line is to stonewall this. The problem is too big for them to recall all the cars involved. Cheaper to pay a few wrongful death claims that recall half a million transmissions.

Will Lexus do the right thing, and fix the problem, or at least issue a service advisory to warn owners that the potential for accident exists, or will they do the 'Ford Pinto' thing -- wait until a few of us are burned to death in a fiery collision at an intersection? Only time, the NHTSA, and a class action law suit will tell. I wonder if Consumer Reports knows about this? JD Powers?

Stay tuned ... Dealer #2 is next week.

I can assure you that Consumer Reports and JD Powers don't know ANYTHING about this!!!
Consumer Reports rated the tranny big solid RED! and JD Powers same thing! I wonder if Lexus paid both companies some money under the table to give the car a good grade.
Old 04-24-05, 08:55 AM
RAP
Driver

Maybe we should all start to email our concerns to Dateline or another such TV show. We know they will stage an accident if they need to to prove a point
Old 04-24-05, 03:33 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's sort of wrong that the driver is learning the behavior of the transmission (it's supposed to be the other way around), but here's something I've noticed.

Like some of the other posts, I've pressed the gas pedal while moving only to be disappointed once in a while. What I learned, though, is that if you don't want the trans to "calculate" whether or not it's supposed to downshift, then press the pedal to the floor. Don't just press harder or faster. That's the key - pressing it to the floor. Then, the trans is a lot more responsive.

If your floor mat is not sitting properly and is bunched up under the gas pedal, then you think you're pressing it to the floor, but you're not. Move the floor mat!
Old 04-25-05, 01:42 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

my 2005 RX330
I visited another Lexus dealer today, was talking w/ a salesman about the tranny problem, which he was well aware of; he suggested trading it in for an '05 which doesn't have the problem. I guess he is wrong!?!

Quick Reply: Article on Tranny Hesitation Problems