RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anybody tested a Bluetooth phone in '05 RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 07:59 AM
sherylking
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What phone service are you using with that phone? Unfortunately, I have Verizon, and they don't seem to have a Bluetooth phone available that will work with my car!
Old 02-01-05, 12:00 PM
jazzsax
Driver School Candidate

Sheyrlking.. your profile says you have a 2004. There wasn't any 2004 Bluetooth built into the 330, so you'd have to use a Motorola v710 with a bluetooth compatible headset, or some other v710 compatible bluetooth device. But if all you have is really a 2004, then this is about as good as you'd get anyway with Verizon or any other carrier.

If, instead you have a 2005 with Nav, then the v710 sort of works, and the only phone from Verizon that you could use. There are lots of postings on this and I use it in my (new) 330. Do a search on v710 on the board.
Old 02-01-05, 12:04 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sherylking
What phone service are you using with that phone? Unfortunately, I have Verizon, and they don't seem to have a Bluetooth phone available that will work with my car!
Verizon uses the ancient CDMA technology. This phone supports the GSM in quad band. GSM is uses all around the world, so its definitely a traveler. We noticed that GSM is even supported in Vermont (as long as you have a Quad Band phone).

To answer your question we are using Cingular.
Old 02-01-05, 08:57 PM
igorts
Driver School Candidate

i had the mpx220 and sold it before i got RX. it lacks touch screen as most smartphones.
Mpx300 seems to be a better pda/phone.

GSM is good but actually older technology. Still you won't take your car in European trip anyway.
Latest Motorola's V series has BT, on Verizon CDMA. V710
Old 02-02-05, 04:53 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by igorts
i had the mpx220 and sold it before i got RX. it lacks touch screen as most smartphones.
Mpx300 seems to be a better pda/phone.

GSM is good but actually older technology. Still you won't take your car in European trip anyway.
Latest Motorola's V series has BT, on Verizon CDMA. V710
No Windows smartphones have touchscreen. You are referring to Pocket PC devices using Windows Mobile 2003 (now 2003 anyway). Windows Smartphone operating system was designed for regular non touchscreen phones.

Actually the MPX300 (very nice phone!!) uses Windows Mobile 2003 (formally referred as Pocket PC OS (formally before that referred to Windows CE))

The difference between the two OS's is major. Windows Mobile is much closer to Windows PC operating system that Smartphone. Mobile has Excel and Word and a true file system. There are also tons of applications (handango.com, etc) available for Windows Mobile, Windows Smartphone is coming but it lacks sophistication (less of a UI).

Once really nice thing about Windows Smartphone though is it's dialer and predictive typing. It's awesome. You dial a few letters and it gives you a list of possible contacts. You don't have to type the ABC button three times for C, it figures out the possible matchs automatically. Makes it very quick to dial. Most Smartphones (like the MPX200) also have automatic voice recognition for dialing. You don't have to train it, it figures out the recognition from the letters of the contact. Also very cool.

Both Smartphone and Mobile 2003 will synch with Outlook, but beyond that if you have a Microsoft Exchange Server (I do), they will synch remotely (without going to a cradle) your email, contacts, and appointments. Very cool if someone else adds appointments or contacts to your Outlook mailbox for you because you don't have to return to the office to get synched. And it's a true synch. If you read a message on the phone, go back to the office, it shows read. If you delete a message at the office, the message will be removed from the phone (again no cradle). If you change a number in your contacts, when you go back to your desk, the phone number is updated there too.

OK, I've talked too much.

Last edited by looknow12; 02-02-05 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 07:52 AM
igorts
Driver School Candidate

seems like you 're advertising it. I used most of them and smartphone is greatly inconvenient to use comparing to pocket PC phones. I had SPV, mpx200, mpx220 and a few more from "china brand"
If you want to get the most use it with good technology from good.com
sync over air in real time.
I guess it's not phone forum, here. let's just post what is compatible with Lexus BT.
Old 02-03-05, 07:07 PM
Roddy
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Traturn]

The term Bluetooth simply means that a telephone has the ability to be a wireless device.

The '05 RX has bluetoothe capability, meaning that it can be used to accept a WIFI device as well. [QUOTE]

Cellphones are all wireless devices. What are you trying to say here?

WIFI is 802.11, unrelated to Bluetooth. AFAIK, the 05 RX is not 802.11 capable
Old 02-04-05, 08:50 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bluetooth attributes

Bluetooth is a low frequency and short distance (30 feet or so) way to connect unlike devices together without wires. With early PDA's you could beam on infrared to each other but you needed line of sight like a TV remote. With Bluetooth you can transmit locally without line of sight. The RX Gen 4 Nav. system becomes a wireless extension of your phone. In fact if your car is running and you approach with your Bluetooth handset it will connect before you get in. Some people are concerned that the call is on speakerphone and not private if others are in the car with you. Turn the bluetooth off on your handset if this is an issue. It is quite a leap to say that it is WIFI capable which is not the case.

Previous posts were looking for voice commands that are telephone functions. They are not part of the Nav voice command set on any models. It is the next logical step for Lexus to include these in its systems. The Lexus Nav system is made by Denso which surprisingly is an Australian Co. It takes some practice and a quiet enviroment to use the voice commands. Some of the commands save time such as "Thai food" and others such as "home" require a confirmation step which is more cumbersome than just hitting the home icon on the screen. I expect a new generation of Bluetooth and Nav in 2007.
Old 02-09-05, 01:11 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the bluetooth on the navi work like the acura bluetooth where u can say "dial 14081231234" and it will just start dialing

also, when u say "find chinese food" and something pops up on the navi is there a phone button you can push and the bluetooth will dial the restaurant for u?
Old 02-09-05, 01:55 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by frebay
does the bluetooth on the navi work like the acura bluetooth where u can say "dial 14081231234" and it will just start dialing

also, when u say "find chinese food" and something pops up on the navi is there a phone button you can push and the bluetooth will dial the restaurant for u?
I wish it did. No, not according to everything I tried, and not according to the dealer. If anyone knows me to be incorrect, please let me know.
Old 02-09-05, 04:47 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do neither of those?

Originally Posted by looknow12
I wish it did. No, not according to everything I tried, and not according to the dealer. If anyone knows me to be incorrect, please let me know.
Old 02-09-05, 07:32 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by frebay
you can do neither of those?
You can locate a Points of Interest using Voice Command ("Chinese Food") but to dial a POI Phone number from the Nav screen you must press Info and then the phone icon. You cannot Voice Command your way through the dialing part.
Old 03-01-05, 06:31 PM
igorts
Driver School Candidate

tested another BT phone, Motorola A1000 works perfectly.
Pairing was different from other phones, no confirmation came until first dialed call,
Could transfer whole address book at once.
Old 05-26-05, 06:24 AM
WDNL
Driver School Candidate

Post Bluetooth and Verizon

Maybe Verizon will release a phone that works with the RX ... The new LG VX-8100 which is due out sometime in June (2005) may have "all" the bluetooth functionality. Although the V710 phone works in the BMW and Acura, in the Lexus it still does not allow downloading of contact information.

Once the 8100 is available, it will be interesting to see if there is finally a Verizon solution. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-26-05, 07:59 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WDNL
Maybe Verizon will release a phone that works with the RX ... The new LG VX-8100 which is due out sometime in June (2005) may have "all" the bluetooth functionality. Although the V710 phone works in the BMW and Acura, in the Lexus it still does not allow downloading of contact information.

Once the 8100 is available, it will be interesting to see if there is finally a Verizon solution. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Verizon is so behind in technology. They still use the legacy technology analog cell towers from the very begining. Of course now they've also have digital phones too. But they use the old CDMA techology. 80% of the world is now on GSM.

Quick Reply: Anybody tested a Bluetooth phone in '05 RX330?