RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anybody tested a Bluetooth phone in '05 RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-04, 08:11 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default a Bluetooth + Nokia 6230 experience

caution: long and rambling Bluetooth adventure. no flames, please

ok, just bought a Nokia 6230 from Cingular (North Carolina). i knew that the Sony-Ericsson loads the phone book all at once but i couldn't stand the user interface. as an old Nokia guy for 10 yrs, i found the Sony menu-ing system to be an awkward mess. and the buttons are micro-teeny, guess i just have big fingertips or something but felt like i needed a toothpick to punch the right keys.

anyway, i had the Nokia linked to the RX before i left Cingular's parking lot. no prob at all. took like 2 minutes to read the manual and do the link. call clarity is excellent, people on the other end can hear me really well. incoming calls work great. radio mutes itself and you hear whatever ring you have stored in the phone...coming thru the upper left dash speaker. this is good!

however, once i started trying to fiddle with the RX phone interface panels relating to storage of phone numbers, i found it leaves a LOT to be desired. not so good.

on the Nokia, as i implied above, you can't upload the entire phone book at once. you hafta do them one at a time via a function called "send business card". yep, this is a pain (as someone earlier described). if yer like me, you'll quickly decide that you don't plan to load EVERYBODY from your phone book...just the important people you call or call you regularly.

you must have the car running in order to perform one of these data transfers. if i could do the whole book at once, no prob. but to transfer twenty numbers, that's a lotta gas -- becuz i must go thru many steps on this phone and on the RX to upload an individual number to the phonebook.

but here's the real problem: unless somebody helps me figure what i'm doing wrong, once you have stored a number in the RX, whether via phone book transfer or "saving" a number you've called or received, you can't edit it. you can't change a bloody character, not a letter or a numeral. this is a big disappointment. you can delete a single entry, of course, or delete your entire phone book.

for instance, after uploading a record from my Nokia phonebook, it shows the person's name entry and phone number on the RX phonebook. as far as i can tell, it it's there for good, no way to edit or give any of these a nickname, unless i change them on the nokia and then upload again. [this is where the Sony-Ericsson "upload phonebook all at one time" could really come in handy. if you have midget fingers, that is.]

i can't manually add an alpha description/nickname to a phone number which you have added to the system. i can't find an alpha entry anywhere on the phone book system. let's say somebody calls me, and i wanna add them to my phone book. i'd like to insert their name/nickname in front of the number.

i can't find a way to edit a number i've stored in a 'one touch' location either. i hope somebody can instruct me on this; the screens are really not very intuitive. [by the way, not a total doofus here, i'm a programmer and i'm used to some highly intricate stuff; that could be my problem, of course, since sometimes simple stuff flies past me for some reason.]

once i figured out how to store numbers in the one-touch system, i was able to use them easily. as stated by others (and the manual), if you're driving, and want to place a call, you hit the CALL button on the steering wheel, and the one-touch system is the only thing that's available to use. phone book is inaccessible unless you stop.

a few other glitchy things. when you start up the RX, you will get a signal and msg on the nav screen that your bluetooth is connected. however, several times today i didn't get that confirmation, and after about 30 secs, i got a "bluetooth connect" failed msg. then 20 secs later, it did connect. nuthin heavy, just reporting this anomaly. phone was in my pocket the whole time, so it could be that this phone is a weak bluetooth candidate for some reason.

i was under the illusion [delusion?] that an incoming call displayed caller ID on the nav screen. well, i think this is only for those numbers you have stored in your phone book -- and then all your see is exactly whatever you stored [example: Angela 12025412737]. i don't see the traditional CID info...name (or city, state) and phone number. By the way, there are not a log of characters available on the RX screen...my phonebook entry "Martha cell" shows up as "Mart cel". ok, so i gotta go back and edit them in the phone to keep them short.

haven't had an occasion to test the call waiting, etc. i have 15 days to return this phone. overall, i'm happy when i'm talking on the RX handsfree system; i'm not happy when i'm trying to use the nav panel to store info and dial out. oh well, can't have everything.

Conclusion: if you don't mind the way the Sony-Ericsson phone works when you're not in the RX, and you need to be able to load your ENTIRE phone book into the RX phonebook, or you want to be able to see alpha names in front of all the entries you do upload to the RX, then i advise you to go with that phone. becuz you can only pair alpha characters with numbers within the phone itself, and then upload them to the RX. as for the Lexus phonebook interface, i'm afraid the absence of a phone record editing feature makes this version pretty lame, and i don't know how it could be helped unless there's some way they can update the firmware (doubtful).

Last edited by winsalem; 10-30-04 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-30-04, 08:51 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

winsalem

You are right. I have not found a way to edit the phone numbers in the nav. It seems that you have to make the changes in the phone then overwrite the phone book in the nav. I agree this is pretty lame.

As far as the Sony phone is concerned I have had no troubles with connecting to the nav anywhere I put the phone.
Right now I have be keepin the phone in the glove box and it works just fine despite the warning in the nav manual not to do so. You are right about the phones buttons and interface, it really blows. However I only plan to use this phone in the car and use my Nextel for my business. I am waiting for Nextel to offer a bluetooth phone maybe next year. Hopefully my obligation to TMobile will be up and I can switch to one phone for the car and business.
At any rate the handsfree system is better than nothing at all.

Take Care Enjoy the car
Old 10-31-04, 04:58 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

GSLEX -- and anybody else -- are you noticing any "dropouts"...where the system does not always link with the phone?

I've now experienced several of those events, and wondering if it's this bloody phone or perhaps normal that sometimes you get a bluetooth connection, and sometimes it gets dropped. at one point yesterday when i hadn't gotten my confirmation connection msg yet, i came to a full stop, turned off the engine, restarted, and voila, i got connected. also wondering if there's a prime spot in the car -- such as the glove box you mentioned (cool solution you came up with for the Sony phone too!) -- where the connection is steadiest.

thx for your replies...
Old 10-31-04, 05:49 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

winsalem

Sorry to say for your sake I have not experienced any dropouts with the bluetooth signal. I start the car and it connects in about 20 secs and stays connected until I shut off the engine.

If I may suggest, try just setting the phone on the passenger seat and see if you get any dropouts.

I would take the phone back and ask for another one.

I hope you can solve this problem. Good Luck
Old 12-10-04, 06:26 PM
orclex
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Bluetooth

Originally posted by GSLEX
I use a Sony-Erricson Model T610 thru T-Mobile and it works terrific. I have had it about 2 weeks and have been able to use it in my 05 RX without any trouble. My phone cost me 50 dollars after a rebate of $100.

I was able to download all the contacts in the phonebook as long as I stored each number in it's own position. (not nested in one name)

The "1-Touch" dialer works great. You can use it when you are moving.
GSLEX ,

I took delivery of my 2005 GX, which comes with a Gen. 4 NAV (just like the one you have). For the past two days, I've been trying unsuccessfully to pair my SE 610 (T-mobile) with the car. Am I just being too impatient? During the pairing process, the phone always finds the NAV systems and successfully stores it, but the NAV system stays in the search mode for ever.

My question to you or anyone who can help:
1- How long did your pairing process take?
2- Is there any setting I should set prior to initiating the pairing process? Any tips?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

orclex
Old 12-10-04, 07:35 PM
orclex
Driver School Candidate

GSLEX ,
Never mind, I finally got it to pair. I was missing the final step (Selecting the newly added Hansfree device and press "CONNECT'" ).

Everything works fine.........I love it.

Orclex
Old 01-14-05, 11:59 AM
Traturn
Driver

New TSB regarding Bluetooth released 1/10/05

Motorola V710 now listed as 'compatible' but not all features working.

highlights of features not working:

Transfer from handset to handsfree during a call (N)
Phone book will transfer one number at a time (N)
Phone book will transfer multiple numbers at a time (N)

So, its offical that it doesnt all work, but at least they're making SOME progress!

most recent list of BT phones that work, although each phone has a Y/N "does it work" Q&A:

Nokia: N-Gage, 3650/3600, 6310i, 3620/3660, 6600, 6620, 6820
Sony Ericcson: T68i, T610/T616, T637, Z600
Siemens: SX1, S55/S56
Motorola: V600, V710

Nice little disclaimer on the TSB that says, "not all handsets on this list are approved by TMS. For a list of currently available, approved headsets go to lexus.letstalk.com" so it seems this list is just what they're testing....

dont know how, but hope it'll help!
Old 01-20-05, 04:41 PM
betsee98
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Siemens S56

I just got my new at&t Siemens s56 bluetooth phone to work in my new RX330 2005. Its awesome. I was able to transfer my phone book from my phone to the lexus address phone book in 30 seconds. I was also able to dial directly from the phone on the lexus w/o any interference. The lexus picks up my bluetooth phone once i turn on the engine. Bluetooth is great in the rx330. I recommend anyone that has the bluetooth technology built into their Lexus to get a bluetooth phone.
Old 01-20-05, 05:51 PM
jazzsax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Traturn
New TSB regarding Bluetooth released 1/10/05

Motorola V710 now listed as 'compatible' but not all features working.

highlights of features not working:

Transfer from handset to handsfree during a call (N)
Phone book will transfer one number at a time (N)
Phone book will transfer multiple numbers at a time (N)

So, its offical that it doesnt all work, but at least they're making SOME progress!

dont know how, but hope it'll help!
Sorry, but that's not ANY progress. This is just an update to what we already knew. But at least other people will know without having to try and find out for themselves.
Old 01-21-05, 11:42 AM
bioart
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, my 04 330 does not have BT integrated... I wish it did... in the meantime, I'm using a BT headset (Sony HBH660) and it works well enough

Art
Old 01-26-05, 01:14 PM
igorts
Driver School Candidate

I use Moto V600 and Blackberry 7100t. ( depends on who's driving).
manual switch required. from phone selection menu
not able to transfer whole address book., otherwise works fine.
will try Treo 650 in few days.
Old 01-26-05, 01:57 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by igorts
I use Moto V600 and Blackberry 7100t. ( depends on who's driving).
manual switch required. from phone selection menu
not able to transfer whole address book., otherwise works fine.
will try Treo 650 in few days.
Go to palmone and get the bluetooth car kit update for the Treo 650, and everything should be fine. It took me a few times to get the car and phone to pair, but now it works properly, and pairs successfully every time. I added Sprint's Voice Command service, programmed a NAV screen one-touch button to dial *, and effectively have hands-free voice dialing.
Old 01-26-05, 02:39 PM
igorts
Driver School Candidate

I'm waiting for GSM version of treo650, it will have patch installed.
Also I tested ipaq 6315 pda/phone. it was able to connect but dialing worked from phone only. (limited compatibility, i would say).
Old 01-26-05, 02:42 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by igorts
I'm waiting for GSM version of treo650, it will have patch installed.
Also I tested ipaq 6315 pda/phone. it was able to connect but dialing worked from phone only. (limited compatibility, i would say).
You might want to check out treocentral.com, and post your Bluetooth experience in the Bluetooth forum once you get the GSM model.

Last edited by jayskinner; 02-01-05 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 04:33 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Motorola MPX220 works great. In establishes a connection without a hitch. It will transfer phone numbers easily.

You can incoming calls mute the radio and can be answered from the sterring wheel. Outgoing calls can be sent from the Nav Screen and will mute the car. The clarity through the system is excellent. Even sitting in the passenger seat the caller can hear the conversation with low level speaking.

The MPX220 is nice because it has Windows Smartphone for an operating system. It contains Outlook for tasks, appointments, email, and contacts. Very nice. The battery is also extremely good.

I also successfully connected a Siemens SX66 but did not test it for a long time.

Quick Reply: Anybody tested a Bluetooth phone in '05 RX330?