RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Navi - Acura v Lexus (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-04, 08:34 AM
04rx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navi - Acura v Lexus (long)

I posted this on an Acura forum yesterday, but thought you guys here would also appreciate the differences between the two Navigation systems as well, so I copied and pasted it here ...

I just picked up an Acura TL last week (Abyss Blue, 5AT w/Navi). My wife drives a Lexus Rx 330 with Navi that we’ve had for about a year now. A few people at work asked me which system I prefer, so I started a list of pros and cons of each system. I figured you all might get some type of benefit, so here is my summary of the differences between the Acura navi and the Lexus navi:

Points of Interest: The Lexus system only has about 2 million POIs v the 7 million in the Acura. I heard the newer Lexus DVD (the one that came out last fall which I don’t have) has about 5 million. Advantage: Acura

Screen Size: Acura 8”, Lexus 7.5”. Advantage: Acura

Screen Resolution: The resolution on the Acura is terrible when compared to the Lexus. The screen on the Acura looks almost “blurry” after driving the Lexus. When the scale is set to 1/8 mile, I’m able to see the names of more streets in the Lexus and the icons look much clearer, even though the screen is smaller. Advantage: Lexus

Distance to Next Turn: Both systems will announce the distance to the next turn, but the Lexus screen displays an arrow along with the distance to your next turn in the upper right corner of the screen. If the next turn is 10 miles away (driving on the Interstate), I have to change screens in the Acura to find this out. If I switch to the split screen, then I can see the next three turns, but I lose half of the screen. I much prefer the little arrow in the corner. Advantage: Lexus

Voice Control: Acura has it, my Lexus doesn’t. I don’t use it very often when entering a destination, except for “go home”. Small advantage: Acura.

Input while moving: It is very annoying to have to come to a complete stop so my wife can enter the next destination, or have to sit in the car for a couple of minutes before starting on our way, while one of us enters our destination into the system. Big advantage: Acura

Auto Daylight Saving Time: Once you indicate “yes” to the Daylight Savings Time question, (according to the manual) the clock will automatically change in the Acura. In the Lexus, I have to manually turn it off in October and manually turn it back on in April. Also, I have to manually set the time zone in the Lexus, while the Acura system uses the GPS to determine which time zone I'm in. Advantage: Acura.

System Boot up: Once I turn on the car, the “O.K.” button comes on the screen within 2 seconds in the Lexus, while I must wait approximately 20 seconds in the Acura before I can press the "O.K". button. Advantage: Lexus

Time it takes to calculate a route: I haven’t actually timed either one with a stop watch, but the Lexus system is much faster than the Acura. It’s not even close and very noticeable. With the Acura, it’s like going back to a 56k modem after having broadband for a year. Big advantage: Lexus.

Number of routes to destination: The Acura will calculate 5 while the Lexus does 3. Most of the time, I noticed that more than one of the routes are the same, so I don’t really get five different choices. Small Advantage: Acura

Current Location: The Acura has the ability to display your altitude, the Lexus doesn’t. Here in Colorado with mountains, we can be over 14,000. It’s a cool feature. I probably wouldn't use it much if I lived in Kansas. Advantage: Acura

One Touch Destination: The Lexus has the ability to store five “one touch” locations, in addition to “home.” In the Acura, I can use the voice command to say “go home”, but I cannot use it to say “go to work” or “go to John’s house.” Advantage: Lexus

Change screen colors: The Lexus system allows you to change the screen colors, the Acura system only allows you to change the color of the “boxes.” Advantage: Lexus

Choice of voice: The Acura system gives you a choice of a male or female voice. You are stuck with the female voice in the Lexus. Advantage: Acura

Joystick: With the Acura system, you can use the joystick as well as touch the screen to input commands. The Lexus system does not have the joystick. This gives you the option of not touching the screen as often, so it won’t get dirty as quickly. Advantage: Acura

Keyboard: The Acura system gives you a choice of the QWERTY keyboard (like a typewriter) or the ABCDEF keyboard. I much prefer the QWERTY keyboard as I can find the letters quicker. The Lexus only has the ABCDEF keyboard. Advantage: Acura

Day/Night Screen: The Lexus system is connected to a light sensor, so if I’m driving with my headlights on (Fog conditions), the screen will still be in the Day mode. The Acura system is connected to the headlight switch. When the lights are on, the screen is in the night mode. I know you can simply press the “max” button, but the point is I don’t have to press any button in the Lexus. Advantage: Lexus.

Scale: The Lexus allows you to choose from the following choices less than one mile: ½, ¼, 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32. The Acura only allows ½, 1/8, 1/20. Advantage: Lexus

Voice Command: The Acura system will reduce the volume of the radio while it "speaks", the Lexus speaks "over" the radio at a preset volume. If I have the volume on the radio higher than normal, I cannot her the navigation voice or the other way around. If I have the volume way down, then the voice is too loud. Advantage: Acura

Accuracy of current position: In the past week since I’ve had the Acura, the navi has placed me on the wrong road 5 times. Usually on an adjacent road parallel to the one I’m currently on. At one point, the navi was off by approximately 4 miles and had me on the wrong Interstate heading NE instead of E. It took between 5 and 10 minutes before it eventually corrected itself. I have never experienced that with the Lexus. I don’t know if this is a fluke or not. Advantage (potentially Big Advantage): Lexus.

As you can see, there are many differences between the two systems, some big, some small. I’m sure there are many other differences, but this is a list I came up with quickly. The biggest advantage of the Lexus is its speed, while the biggest advantage of the Acura is its ability to enter changes while driving. Again, I’ve only had the Acura for less than a week, so I’m not as familiar with every possible feature.

2004 Lexus Rx 330
2004 Acura TL

Last edited by 04rx330; 07-05-04 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 09:56 AM
flint330
Rookie

I enjoyed reading the differences. When I bought my 330 I previously had a 2000 TL. At that time I noticed that the naviagation system in the Lexus was clearly better than in the Acura. It sounds like Acura has really improved their system. The only thing I don't like about the Lexus is not being able to program it while moving. I have the name of someone who will be able to change that so I can use it while on the go. I just have to find the time to contact him! Has anyone else done this and if so are you happy with the results?
Old 07-05-04, 12:07 PM
LexFather

That is a WONDERUFL review. For those that don't know, the new NAV in the TL is regarded as one of the best NAVs offered with Lexus NAV. I would place Infinit Nav 3rd.

Both are MILES ahead of the Germans. Their NAV is ridicuous.
Old 07-05-04, 03:48 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Voice Command: The Acura system will reduce the volume of the radio while it "speaks", the Lexus speaks "over" the radio at a preset volume. If I have the volume on the radio higher than normal, I cannot her the navigation voice or the other way around. If I have the volume way down, then the voice is too loud. Advantage: Acura
My RX330 reduces the volume of the radio while it "speaks" it's directions. Surprised that yours doesn't.

Very nice review/comparison.
Old 07-06-04, 06:30 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
That is a WONDERUFL review. For those that don't know, the new NAV in the TL is regarded as one of the best NAVs offered with Lexus NAV. I would place Infinit Nav 3rd.

Both are MILES ahead of the Germans. Their NAV is ridicuous.
Guess you haven't seen the NAV in Lincoln Navigator. It reminds me of the arcade video games back in the '70s.
Old 07-06-04, 11:01 PM
flint330
Rookie

Derek 985:

I haven't had a chance to contact the person yet. I plan on calling him in the next couple of days. If he is able to reprogram the navigation successfully I will let you know.
Old 07-14-04, 10:16 AM
jp82729
Rookie

A very nice comparison. I've analyzed many navi systems and the Acura and Lexus systems are by far the best. The main advantage I see for Acura is that their system has less features making it easier to use.

It's always been Acura or Lexus on top in the JD Power navigation satisfaction survey. Last year, unfortunately Acura took #1 (Leuxs dominated the quality portion of the survey, though). Next year's survey should be interesting as the Gen 4 Lexus system will start to show up on the chart.

Old 07-14-04, 05:48 PM
mailrail
Rookie

Lexus DVD Navigation System - $2350 option at local dealer. Rand McNally Road Atlas - $13.97 at Barnes & Noble bookstore. Advantage: Rand McNally
Old 07-15-04, 05:13 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the car just tell you where you're at, rather than finding the closest streets and then reading a map - priceless.
Old 07-15-04, 09:25 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Originally posted by mailrail
Lexus DVD Navigation System - $2350 option at local dealer. Rand McNally Road Atlas - $13.97 at Barnes & Noble bookstore. Advantage: Rand McNally
Just came back from a road trip from Seattle - N. CA - S. CA - N CA - Seattle. Did the same trip last year in my J30, this year we took the wifes RX330 NAV. I had all kinds of maps last year, this year I had NONE. The biggest bennefit of the NAV is situational awareness. We knew exactly how far we were from our destination, rest stop, gas station, restraunt, etc. Also, at night, I didn't have to slow down with the "map light" and squint to read the street signs, and have the threat of someone rear-ending me becuase I was going too slow. The NAV ALWAYS routed us to all of our destinations. The NAV more than paid for itself during our road trip.

PDA - $250; pocket notepad $.50. Advantage pocket notepad? I don't think so.

All of my future "family vehicles" will now be equiped with a NAV!
Old 07-17-04, 10:35 AM
mrb627
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by johnnieliu
Just came back from a road trip from Seattle - N. CA - S. CA - N CA - Seattle. Did the same trip last year in my J30, this year we took the wifes RX330 NAV. I had all kinds of maps last year, this year I had NONE. The biggest bennefit of the NAV is situational awareness. We knew exactly how far we were from our destination, rest stop, gas station, restraunt, etc. Also, at night, I didn't have to slow down with the "map light" and squint to read the street signs, and have the threat of someone rear-ending me becuase I was going too slow. The NAV ALWAYS routed us to all of our destinations. The NAV more than paid for itself during our road trip.

PDA - $250; pocket notepad $.50. Advantage pocket notepad? I don't think so.

All of my future "family vehicles" will now be equiped with a NAV!
I agree. I don't plan on ever owning a vehicle without Navigation.

MRB
Old 08-22-04, 07:35 PM
Mandingo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did we ever find out how to reprogram the Nav so it works while moving?
Old 08-23-04, 08:44 PM
flint330
Rookie

I contacted the gentleman who was going to do the work and this is how he told me it would work. He would need to remove the dash on the RX and my SC and splice into the circuit for the navigation system. He would then put a toggle switch under the dash. He said that we might have to occasionaly turn the switch on and off if the navigation system stalled or locked up. He said that it would take a couple of hours to do and the cost was be $150 per car. We set up an appointment for him to do the work, but after we thought about it we changed our mind. First we didn't want someone taking the whole dash off the car when both cars are new (we felt we might get some nicks and scratches). Second, we were worried how the whole process might affect the navigation system. Especially after he told us that it could stall or lockup. I guess for now we will live the fact that we have to program our destination in before we leave or pull over. It is a hassle at times, but in the long run is better than any damage we might get from the installation.