RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Are you being charged for a loaner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-04, 08:52 AM
Stone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the bes solution is for the car to be on full when you get it and then you return it at full and everyone is happy. What if someone works 4 miles form the dealer is it reasonable to be charged $5 for the gas used when the person barely used half a gallon. Is it fair to be charged $5 for gas when you drove 100 miles.

I think you should pay for the gas you use since you would have sone that in your car. EIther fill it up before returning or be charged whatever they deem reasonable.

Would it be too difficult for the service rep to check the mileage when you bring it in and charge you X miles at $2/gal? This could be added to the invoice and you pay for it when your checking out.
Old 07-07-04, 11:47 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus of Serramonte has been great with loaners.

just in the beginning when i wasn't 21 yrs old YET, i was able to talk them into hooking me up with a loaner. Sometimes it was a lexus, and once it was a toyota camry... but hey, i wasn't 21 yet and they went out of there way to hook it up. during that time, never was i charged gas fee. and they never asked me to return the car with a full tank. The loaners always came with full tank of gas too.

then i turned 21 and it was easier to get the loaners. out of say 10+ times i gotten a loaner for service and warrenty work, they only asked me once about the 5$ fee for gas. which i didnt' mind. sometimes i'd return the car with gas, sometimes, i'd have no time and leave the car with the gas light on... it depends on my time and picking up the car.

if you guys look on your service or warrenty work reciept paper, on the bottom it states a $5 fee will be charged for loaners. i dont think it mentions about needing to refill gas or anything.

Just the other week, car was in for bad starting/idling prob in the rx3 and so my sis dropped it off before work, picked up loaner since she had to run to work, and no mention about gas fee or refulling. my service guy called me next day, car is ready so i bring the loaner back with about half a tank of gas since i had no time to refill it. picked up car, no fees at all.

i guess it depends. but i'd say lexus of serramonte service is great. ONLY thing about them is getting a FREE carwash with them is a hassle... but since my service guy is cool with me, he just hooks it up when i call and ask him before hand if i'm nearby and can i drop it off for a wash. They said that the city gto mad at them for usign too much water doing free car washes... SHEESH
Old 07-10-04, 09:58 PM
RAP
Driver

I just purchased a 330 from an out of town dealer. My local dealer actually got mad that I would shop around and not jsut buy from him. After reading this forum, I think I'll be bringing my car into the Toyota for most of the regular service. If I did bring it to the local Lexus dealer, I don't hink I would get a free loaner. The same dealer also sells Volvos and when we moved here from out of state, we were told that they only give free loaners to people who buy from them.

This dealer does not have the best reputation but he is the only dealer in a 2 hour radius.
Old 07-16-04, 12:03 PM
blue_rx330
Rookie

$5 a day here. I have no problem with it b/c I always get a fairly new Lexus, and I can bring it back empty.

That beats BMW in my area....they didn't charge me, but sometimes I'd get crap like a pick-up truck, or a sub-compact (whatever the rental counter in the dealership had available at the time).
Old 07-18-04, 01:27 AM
scooby doo
Driver School Candidate

Check the dealer verbage regarding loaners, most stipulate "complimentary" loaners, opposed to complimentary loaners as long as your cough-up 5 bucks.
Old 07-21-04, 09:44 AM
Arnie72
Driver School Candidate

Our Lexus dealer outside Harrisburg, Pa picks up our RX330 in York, Pa at my house(20 miles away) and drops off a loaner (Usually a new Cambry). When he returns the Lexus, its spotless in and out and there is never a charge for any of it. I've never been back to the dealer.
Old 04-01-05, 01:58 PM
IS_DREAMER
Driver School Candidate

Default Quit Your Whining

I pay $5 a day for a loaner at my dealer and I am perfectly fine w/ that because they will give me a loaner for just about anything. And only paying $5 for practically a brand new Lexus to drive is well worth it...........I wouldn't dare complain. I am just grateful that they give me a Lexus loaner instead of a crappy rental car. And, thats what most dealers do (at least in my area) is give you a crappy rental car. The Toyota dealership down the street charges $30 a day for a loaner. Anybody who complains about a $5 charge for a loaner is probably the type of person that whines about everything in their life.
Old 04-01-05, 03:01 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

I never paid for a loaner. That could explain why they always give me the loaner rx330 with a half tank of gas!
Old 04-01-05, 03:09 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_DREAMER
I pay $5 a day for a loaner at my dealer and I am perfectly fine w/ that because they will give me a loaner for just about anything. And only paying $5 for practically a brand new Lexus to drive is well worth it...........I wouldn't dare complain. I am just grateful that they give me a Lexus loaner instead of a crappy rental car. And, thats what most dealers do (at least in my area) is give you a crappy rental car. The Toyota dealership down the street charges $30 a day for a loaner. Anybody who complains about a $5 charge for a loaner is probably the type of person that whines about everything in their life.
I never paid for a loaner. I do think people should fill up the gas before returning, or pay for the gas used.

I got an idea. I'll go buy an old Lexus - like a 1990 ES250. Let the dealer keep it in service bay, then drive a $5/day RX330 all over town. At only $150/mo., it's the cheapest way to drive a brand new Lexus. I'll even fill it up.
Old 04-01-05, 03:38 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recall ever paying for a loaner and won't. for the prices they charge for service.
Old 04-01-05, 03:40 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

When I first got my GS4 I was still just a bit under 21... they would either have somebody drive me to and from where I needed to go in a lexus, or give me a rental car from an enterprise rental car place or something since their insurance wouldn't let them give me a lexus loaner.

When I turned 21, the first time I got an actual loaner I wasn't told the procedure and being used to rental car places I filled the tank up right before I got back to the dealership (since I got it full). They noticed this and actually asked me for my receipt for the gas and REFUNDED my money. The guy, as he handed me the check for my gas money said "I don't care if we give it to you with a full tank and clean from top to bottom and you bring it back running on fumes and covered in dirt... this is Lexus, not Enterprise rent-a-car... you never need to worry about that with us". Which really surprised me but impressed me too.

Since then I'd estimate I've had about 10 loaners for various warranty work or maintenance and not a single time have I been asked to fill the tank nor have I been charged a fee.

Even for an oil change, they don't even ask me to wait in the lobby... they just hand me the keys to a car and tell me to come back at the end of the day when I'm done with work, or if I can't make it by there in the evening, bring it back the next morning!
Old 04-01-05, 03:59 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Not for the loaner itself. But we always opt for the insurance. We also have to fill up the tank before we return it.

This is at:
Don Valley North Lexus Toyota (www.dvnlt.com)
Old 04-02-05, 06:17 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Not for the loaner itself. But we always opt for the insurance. We also have to fill up the tank before we return it.

This is at:
Don Valley North Lexus Toyota (www.dvnlt.com)
oh, i forgot to mention. Since they don't fill up the tank of the loaner when they give it to me, i return it at about the same level or even lower!!! lol and they don't charge me anything for it!
Old 04-02-05, 07:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

i think if people owning other brands would see this thread, they would laugh their heart out :-)
Old 04-02-05, 09:41 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Yes!! I was charged $5 bucks! But.....is worth it if you are taking the car for a long ride (which i did) and using the entire full tank. Service manager said no need to fill it up when I return it! With gas prices going up, is defenetely worth it!! Wohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Are you being charged for a loaner?