RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

ML Audio in the rear seating area seems weak

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 08:14 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML Audio in the rear seating area seems weak

Either I'm getting old and my hearing is going, but I've been spending more time in the back seat of my wife's RX330 with ML Audio (since we have a new baby back there) and I can't really hear the audio system.

I already checked that it's set on the ALL POSITION (not just the front) and the stereo still sounds weak. I told my wife to turn it up so I could hear it better, but then she says it's too loud in the front.

I did notice that the speakers in the back seat are situated at the bottom of the door (which is not unusual). I can feel the sound piping through those rear speakers, but overall it's still doesn't seem to fully reach the back seat and the sound seems to only come from the front.

Any of you other RX330 owners experiencing this same phenomenon?

By the way I also have the erratic power rear door issue (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It truly does have a mind of it's own and Lexus service of course can not recreate this problem).

Overall I still love this vehicle! It does it all!
Old 04-25-04, 07:30 AM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Power Door Issue: It's a known issue. Ask your technician about TSB# EL002-04.

Also, for your speakers, did you check settings for the balance between back and front speakers? Have you tried the "rear" setting and turning it all the way up as well?
Old 04-25-04, 08:04 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by cyboriax
Power Door Issue: It's a known issue. Ask your technician about TSB# EL002-04.

Also, for your speakers, did you check settings for the balance between back and front speakers? Have you tried the "rear" setting and turning it all the way up as well?
Hey Cyboriax,

Thanks for the tech notice for the power door. I'll bring that up with Lexus Service for my next 10K mile service.

I had already tried just setting it to the rear and it sounds better, but then the driver and front passenger can't hear it well. The ALL position should have everyone in the car enjoying this great ML audio experience.

Thanks again!
Old 04-25-04, 09:18 AM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

In the front, for a ML system, I think you have a total of 7 speakers. In the back, there should only be two, and are positioned towards to the bottom of the doors, which is normal of course. But because of the shear difference in number of speakers between the front and rear, I think the difference between loudness is physically inevitable. This opinion of mine, however, is purely subjective. What do you think?