RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Driver's Seat - Thumping Sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-04, 02:54 PM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Seat - Thumping Sound

Sometimes, on my RX330, if I accelerate or break, something seems to "hit" the driver's seat. It's as if there is a metal coin that is sliding back and forth, hitting something metal on the chair. It can be both heard and felt. It is not a coin. The sound usually occurs after driving for some time, so that the inside of the car is "warmed" up from the morning colds. Has anyone experienced this before? I just brought it to McGrath Lexus, but they couldn't reproduce the sound after driving 10 miles with it. However, just three days ago, I did drive around with a mechanic, and he claimed that he did hear the sound! Please help!!!
Old 04-24-04, 10:33 AM
RayRx
Driver School Candidate

I'm assuming there is nothing under the seat? I'm sure you have checked this but just yesterday I purchased canned tea and 2 of them came out of the bag when I braked hard. I kept hearing the exact noise you describe and even pulled over to see what it was, I felt stupid.

Have you moved the seat all the way forward and backward to look under it? My CD cases bump up against the console when I accelerate fast or brake quickly. Check the console for loose change. Any coins in the pouch on the back of the seat?

Not sure if you have heated seats, but maybe, possibly the heater coil in the seat??

Just throwing some possibilities out to you.

Good Luck on the fix. Let us know what you find out.

Ray
Old 04-24-04, 07:24 PM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

I looked everywhere under the seat!! How do I check if it's the seat warmer that is causing the problems?

Thank you!
Sonny
Old 04-27-04, 11:25 AM
RayRx
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't think there would be any way for you to check it, unless you wanted to tackle taking the seat out. I'd let the dealer take the seat out and check it.

If you got an admission from the tech/mechanic that they did hear the noise, I'd be bugging the dealer to find/fix/repair.

Ray
Old 05-01-04, 08:36 AM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

I think the sound is coming from inside the driver's seat. After McGrath Lexus put more stuffing into the seat, I feel less of the thump. Does anyone know what could be sliding back and forth from inside the seat? It's like something metal bumping between two metal pieces. when it bumps, you can feel the reverberations if you put your hands on the thing that your seat belt connects into.

What should I tell my dealer? What should they look for if they peeled back the seat? Suggestions anyone? Thank you!
Old 05-01-04, 11:04 AM
Simoncski
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Your first problem is with the dealership- McGrath has no idea what they'r doing....I've had the car back to them 4 times for the "Thumping" noise from trans cooler lines and twice for the dash rattle before they were ablo to fix it !!!! You noise is more than likely a loose mounting bolt under the seat
Old 05-01-04, 12:14 PM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Loose mounting bolt? I think I've heard of this before... do you know of an associated TSB for this or is this simply an isolated case? (If the bolt is loose, isn't this really dangerous for the driver??)

Thank you for the quick response! I'll def. keep you opinions about McGrath the next time I go in.

Sonny