RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing the RX330 "dash rattle"
Yes - All the time
22.29%
Yes - Intermittent
43.95%
No
33.76%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

RX330 - Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 07:37 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: WHY?

Originally posted by xfirechief
What about the ACCURA's. Any rattles with them??
Yes! Much worse than any car I have ever owned! This includes several Hondas, a Buick, 2 Jeep GC's, and a GX. Pay a visit to acura-tl.com... Great car when it comes to looks, gadgets, and the powertrain, but the build quality is another story, unfortunately.

Last edited by caha14; 12-09-04 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 07:10 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AGAIN

This is very hard to understand but the dealer had the SUV yesterday & we went for a ride together. Can u believe it, very little rattle but it was 45 degrees out. The day before when I went out at night it was 28 degrees & we had the rattle. We hit all the really bad roads in the area too.
To make a long story short I don't expect them to rip apart the dash again when the noise is so intermitant. Anyways we leave for Florida in 6 weeks for 2 months & it shouldn't be 28 degrees down there.
Old 12-11-04, 11:09 AM
jaehokang
Driver School Candidate

Last Friday, I'd dropped my RX330 for the radiator recall and had asked about the dash rattle. The service rep. in Wilkie Lexus in Philly took note to check and gave me a RX330 loaner. Guess what?, the loaner does not have any rattle from the dash board.
Can they fix my car too?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Actually I almost gave up on the rattle, but when I got my car, the rattle'd fixed. There are bunch of part numbers on the paper for the rattles.. and told me they removed the dashboard and insert new clips and put that back...
They fixed the rattlessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Anyway, I am so happy that they'd fixed it. I am so happy now..
Old 12-20-04, 09:59 PM
03LX470
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattle - Production Date

I totally sympathize with all the people who have the rattle on the dash.

I was wondering if we could do a poll to see which production months have the rattle.

I am looking to purchase a 2004 and was wondering if the rattle was fixed by the factory at some production date?
Old 12-21-04, 05:35 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Tsib For Rattles!

There's a new TSIB for the 04 RX330 Dash Rattles!!
NV007-04, "Dash Rattle Repair", dated 11/22/04.

The TSIB is for units made in Japan only, up to serial # 33099 (2WD) or 61679 (AWD).

Depending on your production date, some or all of the fixes may be called for as part of the solution. (Newer units had some of these fixes done at the factory.)

The fixes include:
- Felt insulation around defroster nozzle (that was the original fix, TSIB NV006-03)
- Felt insulation around cowl louver (the big piece of plastic just outside the windshield, where the wipers are)
- Foam tape around the wiring harness for the TRAC OFF switch where it hits the floor A/C duct
- Foam tape around a wiring harness behind the defroster duct
- Foam tape around a wiring harness behind the driver's side cup holder
- Foam tape around a wiring harness behind the combo meter

I know I don't have rattles from all of these locations, but a couple of them make a lot of sense given where the noises come from.

I recall some discussion some time ago about a few dealers trying the cowl louver fix on their own... it had mixed results if I remeber correctly.

Remeber, a TSIB isn't a recall, and your car needs to exhibit some/all of the problems in order to justify the dealer doing the work. You can't just demand that they perform the work on a TSIB for the heck of it. (Especially in this case, where tearing apart the dash isn't that easy.) However, a lot of us have been battling with these problems since day one (or at least cold day number one), and I think posting this will help everyone understand what's going on. It also shows that Lexus is continuing to work on the problem.
Old 01-04-05, 09:04 AM
asifbeg1
Driver School Candidate

Angry Dash Rattle

This is my second RX. I had 2001 RX300 which had all kinds of Squeeks and Rattles. After many dealer visits and their attempts to fix these issues, I finally gave up. My mistake that I got another RX.

I purchased a RX330 AWD with NAV in Aug 2004. After one month and 1000 miles, I started to hear familiar squeakes and rattles on my 2004 RX330. This time it was from dash and also from the back of the car. For the back noise, after 3 visits to the dealer, they replaced rear window, and rear spolier. After replacing these two things, back noise was gone. A month later, I started to hear a noise from front dash. I took it in again and they re-sealed the dash area. After few weeks, I started to hear my glove compartment making noises, and on my next trip they attempted to fix that noise also. Last month, I started to hear a new kind of noise from back of the Nav screen. After taking it to the dealer again, and leaving my car there for another 3 days, They fixed that nose also and said that the defrogger switch was loose. Well, when I picked up my car after that repair, next day I noticed that the dealer had completely damaged the area around the gear shift. There were all kinds of screw driver marks around the Gear shift area and also on the Aluminium plate around the Radio. Yesterday, I dropped my car back at the dealer, and they will be replacing those damaged parts.

The glove compartment noise is also getting worse again. Also, I am beginning to hear another kind of noise from the cargo area like some leather is rubbing somewhere...After this many trips to the dealer, I kind of feel embarrassed for taking my car there all the time. I still feel that I don't have any other choice. Everyone at the service dept know me well by now.

At this time I feel I should not have purchased another Lexus after having a bad experience with my first one, but I am not willing to take another financial hit by trading in this one. I see on this board there are many other owners that are experiencing similar issues. Is there any advice on what I shoud do, and what direction other owners are headed.
Old 02-09-05, 08:30 PM
blue_rx330
Rookie

Default All rattles gone....no wait! Arrrghhhh

I actually achieved RX330 nirvana a few weeks ago and had no rattles for several weeks....it was even freezing cold outside!

This included correcting one I haven't heard anybody mention before. The driver's side door sill would tap against the driver's door when going over bumps. More foam from the dealership-fairy...and it was gone!

Now I have a new one that seems to come from the center dash above the CD-player area.

So where's the combo meter? Could that be it?
Old 02-10-05, 05:14 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The combo meter is the speedometer / tach / fuel gauge / warning light assembly.
It's actually a one-piece unit controlled by the computer, so the car-maker term for it is a "combo (or 'combination') meter".
Old 02-10-05, 09:10 AM
icings
Driver School Candidate

Default Which dealer fixed your problem?

Originally Posted by thchen
I had the dash rattle that was pretty much happening 100% of the time, especially during colder days. I had the service department work on it when I took it in for my last service, they fixed four seperate areas for rattles and I have not heard anything from the dash since. This is what was on the service sheet:

Rattle 1: Rattle from Dash area
Cause: Excessive play in dash clips
Repair: Removed dash pad and insulate defroster nozzle, R&R Dash and Insulated clips per TSB

Rattle 2: Rattle from L/F Seat
Cause: Excessive play in L/F seat Assy
Repair: R&R seat realigned pins for seat movement and reinstalled seat

Rattle 3: Rattle from Glove box area
Cause: Excessive play in Glove box assy
Repair: R&R Glove box and insulated as needed

Rattle 4: Rattle from wipers
Cause: Excessive play in cowl clips
Repair: R&R wiper arms and couw. Adjusted clips and reinstalled

From what the service tech said, the dash rattle seems to be happening with several of the RX330s so they should be aware of the fixes for the rattles.

thchen,

Which dealer in Jersey fixed your rattle problem?

Thx
Old 02-10-05, 09:13 AM
icings
Driver School Candidate

Default 2005 RX330 Rattle Problems?

Do anyone know if Lexus addressed the rattle issue on 2005 production?

Thx
Old 02-10-05, 02:02 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I've got it on my 2005.
Old 02-10-05, 03:15 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

asifbeg1, our '99 RX300 had a lot of rattles too that were documented in TSBs, this one - '03 has several I need to get fixed but have been putting off because of possible "collateral damage" issues, if you know what I mean. I do find the problem, well, very annoying for that price . . ... jmo
Old 02-10-05, 07:08 PM
icings
Driver School Candidate

Default It bites!

Originally Posted by Husker4the
I've got it on my 2005.
Husker4the,

Man, that's got to suck!
Old 02-10-05, 09:28 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I can tolerate it until the 5,000 mile checkup ... it seems to move around on me ... sometimes over the dash instrument pods, other times over the middle, close to the windshield. I just turn the music up ... at least I haven't noticed the wind noise from the window seals everyone is talking about.
Old 02-11-05, 07:12 PM
jfarber
Rookie

Default 2005 RX330 Dash rattle

I have a rattle in my dashboard on my 2005 when it is cold out. I have had it in twice, at 2 different dealers, and no luck. Monday morning will be the third try. I've had the car for a month and overall I am happy. But for $40,000 there should be no rattle behind the dash. My previous car was half the price and had no rattle.

Quick Reply: RX330 - Dash Rattle