RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

From FX to RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 06:20 PM
Wanalexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question From FX to RX?

Hello All,

This is hard for me. I came close to buying an RX330 and had some bad dealer issues with Lexus/Toyota and said I don't want to bother, and I went to Infiniti. Now, I'm not so sure I did the right thing. My FX45 is a great vehicle, I test drove it (a few times actually) and the bumps seemed minimal. Now they are what I notice more than anything. I've had this vehicle for two weeks and am discussing trading it with a local Lexus dealer for a RX330. I have to ask, these were some of my hesitant issues.....
Is the power adedequate to great on a day to day basis?
What about mpg?
Can I live with the standard stereo? (Or is ML a must)
Will my thighs hurt? (lack of support issues?)
Will I get reamed at maintenance time? (I had a toyota rav4 and several schedule maintenance fees were upwarsd of $400)

Also, has anyone purchased a new vehicle and traded it in within a month due to whatever personal factors? Is this a huge mistake in and of itself?

Thanx in advance for your kind replies
Old 01-27-04, 07:48 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

I would assume that MPG is better on the RX than the FX. In terms of ML, I personally don't notice enough difference to get it. I find the standard premium system to be very good already.
Old 01-27-04, 08:43 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Default Wanalexus

We have both vehicles so perhaps I can comment. The FX does have a firm ride - and can even be choppy on certain kinds of pavement - but I guarantee you that it will lose a good deal of its stiffness as you continue to drive it. I have 13,000 miles on mine, and although the ride is still "firm" it has definitely loosened up quite a bit compared to when it was new, while retaining its excellent handling capability. Others have reported this too, so if you have a little patience (I know it tried mine some too right after purchase) things will get better!

Also, make sure your tire air pressures are not overinflated (like mine were, all set to the 35-37 range at delivery, and I didn't think to check them until a month or two later). If needed try lowering them to 32, which is the recommended pressure on the sticker in the door jam. This will help smooth out the ride. Going slightly lower, to maybe 30 (if necessary) might make you happier still.

The last step short of trading your FX in would be to ask the dealer if you could exchange your wheels and tires for some 18's, which he could take from a non-sport FX35 and do a swap. Right now I am driving on 18 inch winter tires and the ride is smoother than the stock 20's, although as you would expect the handling is not as good. Some smooth-riding 18 inch all seasons would again help soften the ride.

The RX330's ride quality is definitely smoother than an FX, no matter how it's equipped, but the FX does certainly have its advantages in other areas. After trying some of the suggestions above, and you still are having second thoughts about your purchase, you should probably revisit what attracted you to the FX in the first place, and then decide if trading it in would be worth the depreciation hit you would be sure to take. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out for you.
Old 01-27-04, 09:34 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Wanalexus, I strongly suggest that you not second guess yourself; You'll loose a lot of money in the process. The FX is an excellent looking vehicle, and the V8 verision that you have also sounds great! It may take some time getting used to the ride and overall feel of the vehicle. It's certainly not as smooth as the RX, but it will handle better. The two SUV's take different "paths", in other words, it they each cater to different needs but neither cater to all of them.

If nothing else (if you feel you must sell the FX), spend $10-$15 and list the vehicle in the AutoTrader and only accept what you want for a selling price. It may take a while to sell, and if it does then you can get an RX. That way you won't loose out after having bought a new vehicle.
Old 01-28-04, 04:25 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Also, has anyone purchased a new vehicle and traded it in within a month due to whatever personal factors? Is this a huge mistake in and of itself?
No, I've not done so but you will take an absolute beating from a depreciation standpoint. I agree with LexRX as far as trying to get the price you want but put the shoe on the other foot: Why would someone buy a used vehicle for a price anywhere close to the price of a new one when for a few thousand more they can get a brand new one?? For someone who's got the money to write a check, the difference won't matter. For someone who's going to finance, the difference in payments will be negligible. And for someone who's looking for a slightly used vehicle to take advantage of the depreciation factor, you'll be overpriced.

I agree with JRB; see if your dealer will swap the 18s from a 35. The car mags that reviewed the FXs when they first came out were happier with the ride of the non-sport optioned 35. They, of course, didn't test the cars long enough to verify the softening that JRB mentions.

Bottom line is, you've really made a great choice. Even if you had to buy a set of 18s, you'd be better off financially than taking the depreciation hit (and you could sell the 20s, also). But you'll really get hosed if you try to sell or trade...........
Old 01-28-04, 10:25 AM
o8yb
Rookie

Default Re: From FX to RX?

Originally posted by Wanalexus
Not a big mistake just a costly lesson because you live in California.

If money is not a big issue, take the loss and move on. Life is short and enjoy your life is more important than feeling **** everyday.

However, if you do trade in, expect to lose $10k - 12K? Why?

First, you lose sale tax, in California you don't get trade in credit (you pay full sales tax for both vechiles. Not like other car friendly states ) that is around $4000

Second, registration and fees, not much about $1000 or less

Third, depreciation, no one is going to buy a used car for the same price. Expect at least $2000

Finaly, Dealer mark up for the trade in. If Lexus dealer allows you to trade your FX, they want to sell your FX for a profit as well. Assume FX45 will sell for $50,000 when new, used will be $48000, the dealer want to make at lease $3000 and they will no pay you any where near $45000. And you lose another $3000

So you will loss $10,000 by trading in your car. If you have to sell it, sell it youself and you may only lose $6000 - $8000.

Like other people said, enjoy your car. RX330 is a nice car but it doesn't have the power that FX45 has. And FX45 handles a lot better. Once you sell your FX, you may miss those thing that FX has and RX doesn't have.

I will change the wheels/tires and keep the car for at least a year before I decide what to do next.

Also you own a BMW 330, and I assume you like the handling of BMW, you definily will miss the handling of FX compare with RX.

When you have your car service, both Lexus and Inifiti will cost your arms , not like BMW, Lexus and Infiniti are kind enough to let you keep your legs

BTW will FX wheel fit RX330? If so, I am interest to trade my 18" RX wheels to your 20" FX wheels

Good luck.

Sam

2004 RX330 AWD Performance package

Last edited by o8yb; 01-28-04 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-29-04, 05:47 PM
Wanalexus
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Hey lexus club,

Thanks for all of your input. You all were straightforward and honest, and didn't bash me, and I truly appreciate that. I have decided I will keep my FX. The more I drive, I love the power, which is what attracted me to the car aside from the looks. It is bumpy, but I think I really just got freaked because the power is scary sometimes. It's a bit aggressive and I have to make a conscious effort not to abuse it. My hubby reminded me that I felt the same about the BMW. So, I'll remain a member of the FX club, but I hope you all won't mind if I browse here sometime. I do still plan to check out that RX400 come fall. V8 power with 4-banger mpg, it is intriguing.

Thanks again
Old 01-29-04, 09:12 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by Wanalexus
...but I think I really just got freaked because the power is scary sometimes. It's a bit aggressive and I have to make a conscious effort not to abuse it..... I do still plan to check out that RX400 come fall. V8 power with 4-banger mpg, it is intriguing.
D, just kidding here, but maybe you should wait for the "RX200", which will feature V4 power with 2-banger mpg (won't be nearly as intimidating!).

Seriously, hope you grow into really appreciating your FX45. From the sound of things, it doesn't sound like you have to worry about abusing it. Just change the oil regularly, and let it warm up some before really stepping on it.

And I agree, the RX400 DOES look very intriguing.
Old 01-30-04, 07:32 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Wanalexus, glad to hear you the FX is growing on you. What really impressed me about the FX45 is when I heard that it is faster than the BMW 4.6is and Mercedes ML55 AMG I happened to hear one go by while I was standing nearby one day and it has a wonderful (if not unexpectedly mean sounding) exhaust note
Old 01-30-04, 11:21 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was an interesting thread. I am in the boat of trying to decide if the fx would satisfy me like my gs does. Keep us posted as to your likes/dislikes of the fx.
Old 01-30-04, 07:17 PM
LexFather

Since I've been looking for a GS replacement, I'm all over car lots. I have seen many FXs that people traded in after only a month or 2 of ownership. The ride issue is not just wanalexus. It's a tradeoff. A weird one since SUVs typically offer fat tires and are very cushy. The FX offers low-profile tires. 18" and 20" tires on the FX are 1sts for many of these buyers. They have no idea that the lower the sidewall, the bouncier the ride.

Also, while a Lexus suspension is world-class and reknown for comfort, Infiniti is not.
Old 01-31-04, 07:28 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sicklex,

have you narrowed your search?? I am looking around just like you. Its is hard to satisfy a gs owner i think.
Old 01-31-04, 09:52 AM
LexFather

have you narrowed your search?? I am looking around just like you. Its is hard to satisfy a gs owner i think.
Dude, I totally agree. Check this list out:
Pontiac GTO
IS 300 turbo
GS 300 (to turbo)
GS 400/430 (need NAV this time around)
SC 300 (to turbo)
G35 coupe
M45 (goodness in Atlanta 10k off list)
Corvette
Supra
Toyota Prius (I know, but I love this car)
M3
911 Carerra

Now, (since people rarely are in here) I am thinking LS 430. Hardly anyone has touched it, it has more space for me and the new features. To me INTERIOR counts more then exterior (I am nutty about interiors) so it wins there, not a huge fan of the exterior but that is what mods are for. Blitz is turboing it in case I want F/I later.

The crazy thing is the more I look, the more patient I am. Many thought I would have scooped something up by now (I ain't gonna lie, during X-mas, I was a signature away)

What R U looking for?
Old 02-01-04, 02:42 PM
SDGuy
Driver School Candidate

Very interesting thread and one I have just lived through personally. My wife really loves the RX and I was going to oblige 2 weeks ago, but couldn't find one in S. Cali that was AWD with the RSES and a light color exterior. That made me go over and test drive an FX35 and FX45. I thought the FX35 was a great balance of handling/power/ and price and bought one. I have no remorse for the short time I've owned it! The RX and FX are both incredible vehicles with the RX winning in the luxury appointment area (love that wood) and perhaps overall styling, and the FX winning by a small margin (IMHO) in performance and handling. Someone looking for a crossover should definitely try both vehicles. See if you agree with me that, after an agressive turn, the RX transmission kind of can't decide which gear to be in and there is an annoying lag (2 test drives on different vehicles). The FX corners like it is on rails and brings a smile to my face. Very sports car like!

The FX45 does have a stiffer suspension and I really wasn't blown away by the 30 more horsepower and I'm an HP junky. But the torque on the FX45 can't be sneezed at either if you have the $$ to spend.

Here is my new toy if you will forgive an FX pic on this board:

SDGuy

Last edited by SDGuy; 02-01-04 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 09:14 AM
Wanalexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by SDGuy
Very interesting thread and one I have just lived through personally. My wife really loves the RX and I was going to oblige 2 weeks ago, but couldn't find one in S. Cali that was AWD with the RSES and a light color exterior. That made me go over and test drive an FX35 and FX45. I thought the FX35 was a great balance of handling/power/ and price and bought one. I have no remorse for the short time I've owned it! The RX and FX are both incredible vehicles with the RX winning in the luxury appointment area (love that wood) and perhaps overall styling, and the FX winning by a small margin (IMHO) in performance and handling. Someone looking for a crossover should definitely try both vehicles. See if you agree with me that, after an agressive turn, the RX transmission kind of can't decide which gear to be in and there is an annoying lag (2 test drives on different vehicles). The FX corners like it is on rails and brings a smile to my face. Very sports car like!

The FX45 does have a stiffer suspension and I really wasn't blown away by the 30 more horsepower and I'm an HP junky. But the torque on the FX45 can't be sneezed at either if you have the $$ to spend.

Here is my new toy if you will forgive an FX pic on this board:

SDGuy

Beautiful FX I'm actually very happy with the FX45, stiffer suspension and all. I'm an aggresive driver and it suits me and does what I want it to do. Hubby and I went to a GM sponsered automotion this past weekend and drove their SRX (another one I considered but its kind of, um..fugly?) and I tested the 04 Acura, (another on my list). I have to say non beat the FX in handling and sport. The mdx surprised my hubby, as he did NOT want me to get that vehicle after our intial test drives (too tugboat like). I really wanted to test the 4.4 X5 (now upped to 315hp) but time did not alot. The RX was there, and I did not test it again. It is a beautiful car, but I think the FX is the car for me at this time.....thanks again for the great advice guys..

Quick Reply: From FX to RX?