RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

FX vs my RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 03:02 PM
RXKen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did too state several times that you should compare the FX to the RX330, but I also made some comparisons to the RX300 that still hold up as true. In other words our local Lexus dealer isn't suddenly charging $300 less for 15K service on the RX330 than they used to on the RX300. Other areas are not appreciably different between the RX330 and RX300 either, such as lap time around a track, Lexus didn't beef up the sportiness of the RX330 compared to the RX300, at least not appreciably so after having driven our friends RX330.

As for ride? It depends on what you are used to. The ride in both the RX300 and the RX330 is very smooth and comfortable, as a luxury car should be. The FX is also smooth and comfortable, BUT it has a firmer suspension for better handling. While firm, it is still compliant and still a whole lot smoother than say something like a Dodge Durango. Can you feel the road in the FX? Absolutely, the ride, the steering has you connected to the road, that's part of the "Sport" in SUV. If you want to be totally insulated from the road buy a Maybach or a luxury bus. The FX is a nice combination of luxury and sport IMHO.

Back to my previous statement, BUY WHAT YOU LIKE AND BE HAPPY.

If you want a softer, less sporty ride then buy the RX, if you want a more connected ride, buy the FX, if that is your deciding and ultimate factor.
Old 09-30-03, 03:04 PM
RXKen
Driver

Originally posted by IsraelRX
How many miles/years do you have on your FX that you already know its leather holds better than the RX??
Anyways comparing an RX300, a car dated back to 1999 to an FX45 isn't fair, the real comparison is RX330 to FX35. I don't know which I would have picked.
BTW in your post you said nothing about the ride, which by all amgazines the RX is better.
I'm sorry I forgot your leather question. I stated mileage in our RX300 with gray leather vs. mileage in our FX with brick leather. Comparing back to when the RX300 was at the same mileage the brick leather in the Infiniti appears to be holding up better so far. Like I said, this could mean that there was a problem with the gray leather in the RX300, I don't know, I can only give you our observations. If, after 60K miles in the FX there is a problem with the leather, I'll be sure and post an update...
Old 09-30-03, 09:57 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Default RXKen

I pretty much agree with everything you say about the performance differences between the FX and RX, except I do think the RX330 is a major step up from the RX300, especially in terms of handling. My wife has the Performance Pkg with the 18 inch wheels, so that may make a difference too. You didn't say which version you tested.

I also will again opine that I think the RX330 has superior materials on the inside, with the possible exception of the leather quality. My FX45 also has the brick leather and it's very nice, and I do think it will hold up well. But I do have a complaint with some of the other interior appointments, especially on the doors where the plastic panels are not luxury quality, IMO. Otherwise I like the layout, except there are too many look-alike buttons on the dash, which require a second or third look when you are driving (maybe I'm just not used to them yet, but it's been 7700 miles now). But everything does work without a hint of any problem so far. But the bottom line, I think, as far as the interior is concerned, is that the RX is plusher-looking. Most casual passengers would think they are in a more expensive car when sitting inside the RX. I think you have to drive the FX to appreciate where Infiniti concentrated their efforts.

Which leads me to this: one thing I really do like about the FX that you do not get on the RX is the rear wheel drive bias in its handling. This really helps the car "grab" the pavement as you are coming out of a turn, much like a BMW. The AWD system seems just about perfect too, really complementing the feel, although I have yet to try it on ice or snow - that's coming soon enough. Already a heavy frost warning out for tonight!

We fully appreciate both of these vehicles, and like you say, depending on your preferences, they are both really nice.
Old 10-01-03, 06:19 AM
RXKen
Driver

True, the RX330 we drove was not the perf package with larger wheels, I assume that does make a more positive impact as compared to the RX300, but still leaves it far behind the FX in terms of performance. The ATTESA system on the FX is top notch and does have that rear wheel bias you speak of insteads of say something like the Murano that is front wheel bias with added rear traction in emergencies.

As for snow/ice winter driving I can give you some tips since I did it last year.

1) The tires have more all-weather grip that you think they will, they aren't dedicated snow tires but for performance all-seasons they are pretty decent. Like most performance all season tires though they do have an edge to their grip.

2) When you reach the edge of tire grip, don't panic. The traction control system will kick in, and it kicks in when it should, but maybe not when YOU think it should. Most people don't understand that once a slide begins the last thing you want to do is to immediately jam on the brakes, so the tc system doesn't jump in and do that, it guides the car back to a correct line by applying braking in the proper manner to the proper wheels which simply takes some getting used to for people. Of course it can't defeat the laws of physics so if you are way outside the lines it won't save your butt from something stupid.

3) Don't forget your full-time AWD button, it's great for low speed must get through this deep snow driving, but of course auto-disengages at higher speeds and then auto-re-engages once speeds drop which means it can be annoying if you leave it on and are capable of driving at higher speeds, say reaching a cleared street or highway. Summation, use it when you need it because it works well.

Hope that helps with the FX, I haven't had a chance to drive the RX330 in the snow, but our RX300 did pretty well all things considered, well except for that time that I had to change a tire (thank you Goodyear) on a sheet of ice which is a scary thing to do with the RX, this little tiny jack raising your heavy SUV on a sheet of ice... yeah fun...
Old 10-01-03, 11:59 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Re: I'm probably the most qualified here...

Originally posted by RXKen
The FX obviously has more features than the RX300, but is much closer to the RX330. Some RX fans will say "where's the power hatch" to which FX owners can respond "Where's your intelligent key or laser guided cruise control??" etc. etc.
Laser cruise is an option on the RX330...

In my opinion the Bose system in the premium package in the FX sounds better than the system in the RX, particularly for watching DVD's on the rear entertainment system.
Have you listened to the ML in the RX330? I thought it was a little better than the Bose in the FX. Of course, I ended up just getting the standard stereo in my RX330 because it sounds good also. If I want an upgrade, I'd go aftermarket...

Features and "Luxury" are pretty close between both the FX and the RX and it is going to come down to personal preference.
I don't know many people that haven't thought that the RX330 was more luxurious than the FX35/45. I feel like I'm in an LUV in the 330. I felt like I was in an SUV in the FX (not a bad thing if that's what you want).

Where the difference isn't close is in performance. The FX45 runs 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, the FX35 in 7.2, both faster than the RX330/300.
Lexus times the RX330 at 7.8/7.9 (FWD/AWD). Not that big a difference compared to the FX35. Of course, the FX45 is faster and definately feels like it.

If I had to put numbers to it, from our experience I would draw it up like this:

"Luxury and Features"
If the RX is a 100, then the FX is a 96

Performance
If the FX is a 100, then the RX is an 83
Not sure which RX your using for these numbers since most of your comparisons seems to be against the RX300.

I rate the FX35 and RX330 this way.
"Luxury and Features"
If the RX is a 100, then the FX is a 90
Performance
If the FX is a 100, then the RX is an 95

I rate the FX45 and RX330 Performace Package this way.
"Luxury and Features"
If the RX is a 100, then the FX is a 90
Performance
If the FX is a 100, then the RX is an 90

I'm not that big on performance in a SUV/LUV. If I want performance, I'll buy a sports car. I guess, thinking about it now, the same thing could be said about Luxury...

What it comes down to is that you need to buy the car that is the best match for YOU and be happy with it.
Truer words could not have been spoken. JRB is my hero. He has one of each.

John
Old 10-01-03, 11:58 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default i thought..............

i specifically asked for no arguments or opinions.......................................well hell, look what i done now.
Old 10-02-03, 05:26 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Re: i thought..............

Originally posted by JohnsRX
i specifically asked for no arguments or opinions.......................................well hell, look what i done now.
Still don't understand why you even posted it in a public forum then? Of course your going to get arguments and opinions. What did you expect? Did you think the thread would contain a single post with just your opinion?

John
Old 10-03-03, 10:00 PM
CoachMan
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys, next $45k I get to blow will go to an FX45. Not an RX330. I'd take performance/handling over a slightly plusher interior anyday.
Old 10-05-03, 10:22 AM
eyebike
Driver

Well, thats each persons decision to make. No right or wrong to an RX or FX. Both great cars but in different ways. I like JRB's way, one of each. An Infiniti "RX" clone wouldn't really have been noticed in the crowd of luxury SUV's out there, but a performance-oriented model will stand out and attract a different customer.
Old 10-05-03, 11:21 PM
LexFather

My comment was that Nissan is thinking of taking Infiniti overseas. It is only sold here in America (badged here) and in Japan as Nissans. Lexus is sold world-wide. The FX is cool and all but not so convincing to leave Lexus (the RX) for it. In 2 years, I am sure I will trade in my mother's RX 300 for a RX 330 without thinking twice.
I'd take performance/handling over a slightly plusher interior anyday.
The true statement that the RX 330 is the best SUV out is that they are selling more than ever with more and TOUGHER competition, like the FX, Tourag, even the American SUVs are much better (Trailblazeer triplets, Explorere triplets, Volvo). I thought they were gonna sell hella less cause of these other guys (many with 0% financing, discounts etc). It shows Lexus totally understands the market, and is willing to give up those 5% into image.

Well u need to buy a car or a wagon b/c looking for performance/handling in a SUV it not logical.
Old 10-06-03, 05:37 AM
RXKen
Driver

Default Logic...

Logic has nothing to do with it or we'd all be taking mass transit...
Old 10-06-03, 12:16 PM
LexFather

I don't think mass transit is totally logical. In NY yes but here in Atlanta, u got to DRIVE to the mass transit. The dumbest system in the world.

To each his own, I must say, SUVs really sucked 10 years ago. These new ones are AMAZING, they have advanced leaps and bounds.
Old 10-06-03, 09:31 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well u need to buy a car or a wagon b/c looking for performance/handling in a SUV it not logical.
Where is it written that "SUV's" can't have good performance and handling? This is the "S" part of an SUV. From the sound of things, the new RX400 will be a major step in this direction, at least in terms of its performance. Maybe its handling will be improved also.

In its recent comparison test, Car & Driver magazine just rated the new Cadillac SRX as its best pick from four contenders in this category ("Big Box Sports Cars"). It looks much more like a traditional wagon than the others, but yet is still taller than two out of the other three and just 0.2 inches less than the tallest, the VW Touareg. As the article shows, a growing number of wagons/SUV's do have a high fun-to-drive quotient, and the line between wagons and crossover SUV's is getting mighty blurred. I guess a growing number of buyers want to have the room, ground clearance and AWD traction of more traditional SUV's but don't want to be saddled with something that feels like its going to tip over when taking a corner or sharp curve. I'd argue that that's pretty logical, actually.

I'd also make the point that what's "logical" for some will be "illogical" for many others. For me and our small family of three, a Chevy Suburban would be illogical, but over the years one of my best friends has owned five of them, so he obviously finds them very logical. And for those who are heavily in debt and living paycheck-to-paycheck, ANY new vehicle purchase is probably illogical, whether it handles and performs well or not.
Old 10-07-03, 06:28 AM
RXKen
Driver

FWIW about that Car & Driver comparison, if you take the rating for size away from the Caddy it finishes last and it is also noteworthy that the T-Reg which C&D gave best SUV of the year award to finished last. While I agree that the "S" in SUV could mean sport in terms of the car being sporty as opposed to carrying your sports equipment (skis, tents, canoe, sailboat, whatever), I wouldn't put too much stock into anything C&D has to say on the subject...
Old 10-07-03, 12:55 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Agree on your observation about the Touareg going from first to last in this comparo, but this time the competion was all new as none of the others were included in the larger comparison done last year, plus this time around all of its competition had V8 engines whereas in the previous one the others were all V6 engines if memory serves. This time the Touareg, with all its extra weight, could not compete performance-wise whereas in the previous test it was one of the best performing SUV's tested.

As far as the Caddy is concerned its extra space and utility did help its ranking to be sure, but based on its winning margin of victory just an average score based on its extra room compared to the others would have still allowed it to finish on top In any case there was less than a 3% margin over the others, so all of these vehicles are pretty close to one another, overall. There are however significant differences in terms of their individual qualities so again it becomes a matter of what's most important to each buyer. All each prospective new buyer can do with these comparisons is to pick out the most important facts about each choice, line them up with his or her priorities and make a decision. For those placing a high value on reliability, luxury and ride quality the Lexus should be the winner over any of the competing brands. If "sport" and performance is No. 1, the decision becomes a little tougher.

Quick Reply: FX vs my RX