RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Power window switch question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-03, 11:05 PM
apwoodr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window switch question

I noticed today that I can not roll down the front passenger side window from the drivers side switch (the window lock button is not on) The front passenger window switch works, and all of the other window switches from the drivers control work. Also, the light that is built into the front passenger side switch is blinking (none of the others do this). Is this a CBEST setting or is the drivers side switch need to be replaced?

I'm not sure if it has always done this since my wife usually drives it, and I never noticed it before.
Old 09-08-03, 09:25 PM
JRB
Pole Position

First time I've seen anything like this posted. I'd call your dealer's service department and ask them if they've seen this on any other RX330's yet. My guess is there's a problem and they'll tell you to bring it in.
Old 09-08-03, 11:29 PM
vegeta
Driver School Candidate

Default windows

It sounds like you guys just had tint put on or had the battery disconnected. For whatever reason, look in your manual. There are instructions for resetting the window program. Same thing happened to me.

Veg
Old 09-09-03, 06:45 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

best way to solve the problem is to show it at your lexus dealer.
Old 09-11-03, 06:39 PM
Dyno330
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Power window switch question

[The power windows , (and also the roof), must be "reset" when first time connected to the battery, and when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, it must be redone. The short procedure is well written in your user book.
Same thing happened to me.
Old 09-11-03, 09:45 PM
apwoodr
Rookie

Thanks for the replies, I'll just let the dealer handle it when I take it in for the 1000 mi checkup. It must have been that way when we bought it because the moonroof still works right (one touch open/close) and the battery hasn't been disconnected.
Old 09-13-03, 05:53 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess that the electrical system problems caused disconnecting the battery could be avoided by just "jumping" the car's cables to another battery to avoid loss of power. Probably minimum current would be needed just to maintain the computer functions. Anyone know why this isn't done routinely?
Old 09-14-03, 04:49 PM
ederny
Pole Position

That's the right idea. Substitute another battery (12 volt source) to keep things alive when changing batteries. I've done this. Is that what you were referring to?
Old 09-14-03, 05:00 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ederny, yes of course, it seems so straightforward I can't believe anyone would do anything else on luxury cars anyway.

Actually, why isn't the car simply designed with a coupler for a rudimentary 12V supplemental electrical source while changing the battery?? This is pretty basic stuff.

But, last time I had a battery replaced at the dealer on my RX all the radio settings were lost, everything else semed ok though.
Old 09-14-03, 05:21 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Here we are, Sunday night in the NE and fall is on its way (as well as a big storm for Friday). I think the last humming bird left today.

This is a good question. I hate it when my radio presets get screwed for such a simple reason. On my MB a Sears guy even disconnected the battery in the wrong order and killed the entire radio (theft deterrent system that rendered it inoperable!). Need I say I was pixxed big time !!

I suppose it is the extra cost of connectors, etc. or the labiality of playing around with batteries. Oh well, it will be left to the guys that care....
Old 03-22-09, 11:24 PM
expoc2
Driver School Candidate

Given that everybody has just posted look into your manual... I had the same problem today and wanted to let other readers get the solution without having to go into the manuals.

When your windows dont roll up or down from the drivers main switch but when individually clicked they work then you know its not something with the motor, instead its something programming.

I had the same problem as everyone else after disconnecting the battery for around 5 minutes.
My front passenger pwindow was not working from the drivers main switch so to reset it this is what you have to do:
1. First check and see if the led in the switch is blinking, if it is then just follow this instructions.
2. Roll the desired window down until the middle and then roll it again all the way until its closed... HOLD the button for about 4 seconds while the window is all the way up.
3. This should reset that window so that it works from the drivers main switch+it should now have stopped blinking.
Old 07-21-12, 10:21 AM
meis250
Driver

Thank you expoc2, that did resolve my issue as well. I had my IS tinted and after a week when I was able to roll down the windows realized that I had the issue. I do not know what they did to cause it though, is this normal? What could they have done to cause it?
Old 07-21-12, 11:48 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With only 15 posts in '09 there is a good chance he is not around. Even then, he resurrected a thread from '03! As far as your window goes, they may or may not have done anything to cause it. I certainly wouldn't pin the blame on them. With the electronics in today's cars, ANYTHING can and will happen for no known reason. At least the fix is an easy one. My guess would be that most of the time the windows get "out of sinque" no one has any idea why they do (and the little electrons in there snicker away like the gremlins they are)!