RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus RX300 Altezza lights

Old 07-15-03, 10:57 PM
LexFather

Default Honda owners..

Some of them are a riot. Glad everyone is safe from the accident.
Old 07-16-03, 08:11 AM
badams
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is in response to rhack1's question about the roof rack mount distance from the vertical line:

The front roof rack mount is 3/8's of an inch from the vertical line (sorry I don't know mm that well), the back roof rack support is right on the line (like the picture I already posted shows).

I believe this siw hat you were asking. Youc an ignore the 47½ " that I posted before, I don't know what I was talking about.

Pain killers are making me stupid.

badams
Old 07-17-03, 07:37 PM
rhack1
Rookie

badams -- thx for the info AGAIN...quick questions: if you get a second, pls check out ebay auctions you reffred to..the auction that ends with 113 has "repaired" light...what are your thoughts on this?...guy says they are repaired with a lexus repair kit?...any insights?...

also...another guy i found has HIDs for sale...i don't think the HIDs will wire in correctly with the 1999?...wire harness and other electrical differences...is this true to your knowledge?...thx...Rob
Old 07-17-03, 09:57 PM
badams
Pole Position

I don't know nothing about HID's. I know they are pretty cool and expensive, that's about where my knowledge on them ends.

As far as a headlight repair kit? I have never heard of it. I do know a lot of people break off the tab that holds the lower part of the light to the car or they break the tab where the lower grill attaches. I'm sure they are easy to fix, but I'd still be a little leary. I'd call a Lexus dealer about this "repair kit", sounds like BS to me. I'd say the two bolts that have the two 10 mm nuts do 95% of the headlight mounting, the other mounting spots are kinda flimsy any way...which is why people break them I guess.

badams
Old 10-14-03, 12:56 AM
rickm528
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation where to buy

i bought a set of clear ones for my 1999 rx300 the other day on ebay. it came with all 4 pieces, wire harness, sealers, and bulbs. it took me only about 10mins to install. the lights are really nice and good quality. i bought it off a guy from ebay. he said that he probably got the last bunch before they got discontinued. i asked if i could buy more then one set but he said that i would just have to wait and bid on them when they come up b/c it wouldnt fair for others. he said lots of people are waiting. his auctions should come up soon so look out for it b4 it gets bought. email if you got questions. good luck
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 Altezza lights-dsc00607.jpg  
Old 10-14-03, 01:45 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey rickm528,
Thanks for the info re the taillights. I am still interested in getting them and have been folllowing ebay, but not close enough I guess. I missed those. If I may ask, how much did it cost you, without the shipping? Thanks in advance. BTW, your car looks real nice.
NickV
Old 10-15-03, 05:00 AM
rhack1
Rookie

Rickm528 -- thx for the info and the heads-up...what is the ebayer's name?...what brand are the lights -- are the lexus oem or aftermaket?...and, what was the cost?...

as an fyi -- i just purchased a set of lexus oem chrome headlights for my 1999 on ebay via two individual auctions -- kind of nerve racking an i probably over-paid, but i thought it was worth it to have a brand new set that was similiar...paid $310 for the set including shipping from Maryland to Upstate, NY -- looks like individual ones have been selling for $80-120/ea -- oh well...

thx...Rob
Old 10-20-03, 01:59 AM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally posted by badams
I believe those step by step instructions only work if you buy the aftermarket Altezza taillights, because they come with a new wire harness. The Lexus dealer told me the 2001-2002 wire harness will not work in a 1999-2000 model. The wire harness that comes with the Aftermarket taillights is NOT a Lexus wire harness. I had to do some real modifying to make mine work, since I bought Real Lexus taillights. I wish it was as simple as replacing a harness.

If you can get the Aftermarket taillights with a harness instead of the Real Lexus taillights.

badams
I need to read the rest of the thread before I reply, but here goes...
There is a Lexus harness you can buy that plugs into the factory harness on the early model RX300's. I had to go the the Lexus dealer and have them look it up on a 2003 model, but they were plug and play on my '99. I have actual Lexus lights that I bought a piece at a time on Ebay(only took 8 months) and the only thing I had a problem with was the 2 interior lights(on the hatchback). Had to do a little trimming but it worked out fine.
Old 10-20-03, 09:29 AM
badams
Pole Position

Do you have a part number for that harness?
My Lexus dealer told me there was no such thing and if I tried modifying anything it would mess up my on board computer.

Thanks,
badams
Old 10-20-03, 10:32 AM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Do you have a part number for that harness?
My Lexus dealer told me there was no such thing and if I tried modifying anything it would mess up my on board computer.

Thanks,
badams
Yeah. Let me look. I just moved to a new house and everything is in a temporary state of lost.
I've still got the bag and the receipt somewhere. I'll get the number for you.
Old 10-20-03, 10:45 AM
badams
Pole Position

Thanks!

We are getting ready to move this week and know all about "state of lost".

I also did the 2001-2002 taillights on our 1999 RX300 (and headlights, grille, rear bumper protector), but used the old harness and made rubber grommets to act as spacers/adapters to accommodate the smaller bulb socket into the larger hole of the new taillights.

Haven't had an issue with them wiggling free, but still like to know I have the option of getting a correct harness if I want to do it right.

I'm sure others here will be glad to know there is a harness to use (when using the REAL Lexus taillights, as opposed to the ones from aftermarket shops), because this issue has been brought up plenty in the past.

Thanks again!

badams
Old 10-21-03, 01:06 AM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Thanks!

We are getting ready to move this week and know all about "state of lost".

I also did the 2001-2002 taillights on our 1999 RX300 (and headlights, grille, rear bumper protector), but used the old harness and made rubber grommets to act as spacers/adapters to accommodate the smaller bulb socket into the larger hole of the new taillights.

Haven't had an issue with them wiggling free, but still like to know I have the option of getting a correct harness if I want to do it right.

I'm sure others here will be glad to know there is a harness to use (when using the REAL Lexus taillights, as opposed to the ones from aftermarket shops), because this issue has been brought up plenty in the past.

Thanks again!

badams
No problem. Always glad to help. The part number for the right rear harness is 81555-48020. The harness for the opposite side is usually one digit off(probably 81555-48010). Any more questions, just ask...
Old 10-21-03, 01:30 AM
rickm528
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

i bought my lights on ebay from xaznxqpidx using buy it now for $450, started at $400. used the buy it now because last time i waited and someone bought it already. anyways, shipping was $20 for usps priority 2days. total transaction only took 3days which was great. i decided to buy it because its hard to find and sites that do sell it go for $130 a piece so i thought it was a deal, not to mention no tax and shipping was less. ive been waiting for ever so had to go for it.. i am pleased w/ what i got. it came w/ all the wire harnesses, gaskets, bulbs, and screws. for 99 and 00, use your stock wire harnesses, it will make it easier. one socket does not fit on either side on the inner lights (on trunk), just replace the socket w/ the corresponding one from the given wire harnesses. it should very easy. i did my total install only in 10mins. last time i checked he said he only had 2 sets left.

lights are for sale on ebay again. heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2437889313

hope this helps
Old 10-21-03, 04:40 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the link rickm528, I just bought them! Can't wait to get them and put them in.

Jeremy

BTW, it helped!

Last edited by jeremyp111; 10-21-03 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-21-03, 10:23 PM
rickm528
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

no problem. i was hoping my info would help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus RX300 Altezza lights