RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

replacement antenna for rx300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-03, 08:34 PM
Petrie2001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question replacement antenna for rx300?

hey guys,
do you know of any aftermarket antenna that i can use in place of the motorized antenna? i broke the antenna accidentally driving thru a carwash. the radio volume was muted so i didn't even realize the antenna was up until i exited the vehicle and saw it just dangling. i want to replace it with a short stubby rubber antenna. any ideas?
thanks,
peter.
Old 05-31-03, 10:15 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Search. I posted instructions on how to replace the antenna.

Doing anything else would cost more and would not look nice.

Salim
Old 06-01-03, 08:55 PM
Petrie2001
Rookie

salim,
thanks, i already read your post on how to replace the mast. i just don't like the look and want to prevent future accidents with the antenna. i also don't like having an antenna that has to go up and down. in addition, the powered antenna would have much better reception than the stock antenna. any other ideas? can i get a powered antenna and just use the S2000 antenna mast in the original place?

peter.
Old 03-23-06, 06:26 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone has since found an aftermarket antenna for the RX. Our RX300 antenna only extends halfway, and I'm pretty sure it's the motor. I'd rather just have a flexible permanent antenna rather than the motorized unit. What about a small aftermarket solution that might be powered and can fit behind the plastic side panel?
Old 03-30-06, 11:36 AM
jprice
Driver School Candidate

Default antenna

Hey guys -

I just replaced the mast on my 02 rx 300. I bought the mast from ebay. There is a guy that sells them with complete instructions. Search Lexus antenna you will see it. I think I paid $19 + shipping, but I have seen them as cheap as $14 + shipping.

Comes with instructions - easy to do. The hardest part was trying to get the motor to suck in the new flexible piece (you'll see) A little aggrivating, but we finally got it to engage after about 10 minutes of messing with it. Works like a champ now.

Jamie
Old 03-30-06, 11:54 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info Jamie. Did you have any problem removing the mast? My RX's will not come out. I've followed the instructions on how to do this, but still it won't budge. My mast raises about 1/2 way then stops. The motor doesn't make any noise as if it were still trying to raise the mast. I would like to replace the mast just to ellimate this as the potential problem, but I can't get that dang mast out.
Old 03-30-06, 02:21 PM
jprice
Driver School Candidate

hmm....are you saying that the thing won't motor at all? Or that it motors half way up and stops? To remove the old one, you unscrew the slotted "nut" on the top of the antenna, turn the power to the radio on and as it ejects, you carefully keep pulling (make sure you get someone to help with this so you don't scratch the paint) - one to turn the radio on, one to grab the antenna.

In order to get away with just the mast, your motor has to still be working. Is yours?

Jamie
Old 03-30-06, 03:50 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thanks Jamie. The motor raises the mast about 1/2 way, then stops. I'm familiar with how to remove the mast but it won't come out. I tried a reasonable amount of force trying to remove it but it doesn't budge. The motor is not ejecting it. This is why I think the motor is the issue in my case.
Old 03-31-06, 06:26 AM
jprice
Driver School Candidate

That seems odd as the motor typically either works, or doesn't. Sounds like you have a mechanical issue. I wonder if something has broken off in their preventing the thing from spinning after it gets to a certain point. The other oddity is that if you completely locked up the motor, it should be blowing fuses to protect everything.

You may have to grab it and yank. At this point, what do you have to lose? If it is in fact the motor and the mast, you have to replace them anyway. I still think it's just the mast though...

jamie