RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replacing Timing Belt & W.P., Thermostat, Power Steering on 2000 RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 03:31 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Timing Belt & W.P., Thermostat, Power Steering on 2000 RX300?

I'm about to start replacing some things to get my 2000 RX 300 back on the road (Has 197k), it's been down for almost a year due to a water leak (I stopped driving it before anything got worse, it never ran hot because I took it off the road before it had a chance). Can some people chime in on what brands I should stick with? I've priced quite abit of things on RockAuto, Autozone & O'reilly's but I don't want to buy a junk or non-OEM quality Power Steering pump etc. I'm thinking I may need a new starter due to it either sticking or just completely went out. Do i need to get the Cam Tension Hydraulic Assembly also? Most of the ones i've found doesn't have that in the kit. Pretty much, I'm needing advice on what else I may need to replace, I'm hoping the leak isn't from the bypass hose because then i'll be replacing the knock sensors and wiring harnesses for them as well. This is what I have wrote down that I'd like to order so I can replace them:
1. Power Steering Pump & Belt (Already bought Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for the P.S.P.)
2. Timing Belt & Water Pump Kit
3. Serp. Belt
4. Thermostat & Gasket
5. Valve Cover Gaskets (Already have them but have waited to try and get info on using the RX 330 Valve covers, I don't have them because I couldn't confirm it, because I've read on here that they changed the design a little to prevent them from their notorious leaking issues that they was having with the RX 300 and i'd like to not have to take anything else apart like this for another 200k, I do have the Toyota Black timing chain/belt cover & oil pan sealer if maybe anyone knows if I could or should put any of that on with the new gaskets that I already have)
6. Battery
7. Antifreeze, what should I get for that?
If the leak isn't the Water Pump, then I'll be removing the intake to replace the bypass hose along with knock sensors($92 each) and harnesses($18 each) which i've found both on RockAuto but I would like people's opinions that have changed them out with different brands or if someone has known of a issue with replacement parts not being OEM brand etc. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, also i should note, I'll be doing all this myself to save labor expenses so if there are special tools needed, please note that so I can get them, thank you in advance.
Old 02-27-17, 03:42 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

check out my aftermarket parts review thread. There are parts that myself and other members have used with results. I'm not sure if timing belt components have been discussed in that thread off hand but Aisin components and NTN bearings are good quality makers.

If you have any other experiences with aftermarket parts ..good or bad, please share in that thread
The following users liked this post:
Roop10 (02-27-17)
Old 02-27-17, 03:47 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Dont bother with any non-oem sensors.

Salim
Roop10 (02-27-17)
Old 02-27-17, 04:12 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

Default thnx

Originally Posted by salimshah
Dont bother with any non-oem sensors.

Salim
Good looking out and i've learned on here so I only use Denso
Old 02-27-17, 04:13 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

Default Issues finding your threads

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
check out my aftermarket parts review thread. There are parts that myself and other members have used with results. I'm not sure if timing belt components have been discussed in that thread off hand but Aisin components and NTN bearings are good quality makers.

If you have any other experiences with aftermarket parts ..good or bad, please share in that thread

Thanks, I'm having issues trying to find your thread you were talking about
Old 02-28-17, 03:39 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I replaced my rear valve cover, and gaskets front and rear, and that rear cover is a PITA if you don't have a lift.

​​​​​​​Before replacing the starter try rebuilding it; the parts are cheap and the R&R is easy.
Old 02-28-17, 05:01 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Whats wrong with your power steering pump?
Old 02-28-17, 05:26 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Roop10
Thanks, I'm having issues trying to find your thread you were talking about
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ew-thread.html
Roop10 (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 12:35 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
Whats wrong with your power steering pump?
It's been whining for awhile and I cant start to feel it in the steering wheel, its not as smooth/easy to turn like before
Old 03-03-17, 03:19 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Roop10
It's been whining for awhile and I cant start to feel it in the steering wheel, its not as smooth/easy to turn like before
check your lower ball joint. When they fail it can make the ps work too hard
i thought our ps pump was leaking but was oil from the right cam seal
Roop10 (03-03-17)
Old 03-03-17, 11:41 AM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

Good news, bought a new battery and that was my starters problem, so the starter is still good, fired right up. I've got a few questions but I only wrote 1 down, I'll ask the other questions when i can remember and write them down. Question, replacing the valve cover gaskets, I'm waiting till I pull them off to decide if I buy the new version of the back valve cover/firewall side of motor, if the heads are clean, I'll buy the updated version of the valve cover, if its got build up, then i'm just gonna clean the covers and put new gaskets back on but I wanted to know what do people do with the valve cover bolts that have the factory squash washers? I'm sure they have to be bought new from somewhere correct? I got on Lexus.com and signed up so I could look at the service record history on my RX300, unfortunately the 2 times I took it was the only things listed for service so the previous owners must have went elsewhere to do maintenance, I do have records from when I bought the suv so I can look through those and find out what all has been replaced. When I took it to Lexus for the first service, they said PS pump was starting to leak, crankshaft seal and cam seals were starting to leak, wondering how difficult those are to replace? I'm stuck on what type of Power Steering Pump to get due to already having bought the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF because I was going to just flush and refill but apparently it's time for a new one. Is there a brand that I should go with so I can still use the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for the Power Steering? I'm getting a parts list up so i can get ready to do some maintenance so I'm all ears for any advice on other things I should look out for that may need replacing etc, it has 197,600 miles on it. Thermostat brand? Power steering pump brand?