RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Damaged wheel rims from working on car

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 10:20 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Damaged wheel rims from working on car

Did anyone here ever accidentally damaged their car wheel rims when removing lug nuts? Maybe anyone here have perfect unscratched RX300 rims?

Today I was trying to rotate the tires on my car when I have a very uncooperative lug nut that wouldn't bulge. I kept using my air tools to remove it, and it wouldn't work. Then I used a torque wrench to have enough leverage to remove the lug nut, and it still wouldn't bulge. That's when I used my air tool and kept attacking the lug nut again, until suddenly the lug nut came loose and the socket in the air tool was spinning viciously and it make a scuff on the rims (similar to what you see when your car rims scuff against the curb). Yes, maybe I should use anti seize next time...

I know this is a ridiculous question but, do clean unscuffed RX300 OEM rims worth a lot? Should I care about replacing the rims by finding a clean one from the junkyard, or just forget about it and move on (maybe install rims from the 2004-2007 RX350)?
Old 02-07-17, 10:45 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Couple of things ..
Who tightened the lug nuts? Proper use of torque wrench is to tighten things and not loosen them.
Invest in a breaker bar for undoing nuts/bolts.
Scuff marks are purely aesthetics, so your next move depends on how much it bothers you visually.
It can quickly snowball on you, breaking the tires, installing on new rim, balancing [who knows if the new to you rim is bent or not]. If you want the new style, then we are talking *4 expense.
There are detailers and speciality shops that can fix a scuff (depends upon how bad/deep) the gouge is.

Not to beat a dead horse:
1. Do not use torque wrench to undo bolts/nuts.
2. Power tools should be used in bursts and once the bind is broken, very short pulses are needed. Final separation should be done manually (not under power).

Salim
Old 02-08-17, 12:53 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Couple of things ..
Who tightened the lug nuts? Proper use of torque wrench is to tighten things and not loosen them.
Invest in a breaker bar for undoing nuts/bolts.
Scuff marks are purely aesthetics, so your next move depends on how much it bothers you visually.
It can quickly snowball on you, breaking the tires, installing on new rim, balancing [who knows if the new to you rim is bent or not]. If you want the new style, then we are talking *4 expense.
There are detailers and speciality shops that can fix a scuff (depends upon how bad/deep) the gouge is.

Not to beat a dead horse:
1. Do not use torque wrench to undo bolts/nuts.
2. Power tools should be used in bursts and once the bind is broken, very short pulses are needed. Final separation should be done manually (not under power).

Salim
I'm sorry I meant I was trying to use a breaker bar, not a torque wrench, lolz...

The last time someone tightened the lug nuts was the guys from Midas. I was going to let them do my brakes cuz I was lazy. That's when I saw their brake estimate after the free inspection, so I decided to DIY it instead, LOL.

Can you explain the snowball part again in different words? I have absolutely no idea what you meant...
Old 02-08-17, 02:06 PM
BDEBDE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987

Can you explain the snowball part again in different words? I have absolutely no idea what you meant...
I think he just means the costs can continue to add up, one thing after another. You're not just going to spend money on a new rim, you need someone to take your tire off the old rim, mount it on the new rim and then balance the rim. Then you have to hope that your didn't buy a bent rim, a slight bend won't usually be visual, the wheel just won't balance if it's bent.
Old 02-09-17, 04:14 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by BDEBDE
I think he just means the costs can continue to add up, one thing after another. You're not just going to spend money on a new rim, you need someone to take your tire off the old rim, mount it on the new rim and then balance the rim. Then you have to hope that your didn't buy a bent rim, a slight bend won't usually be visual, the wheel just won't balance if it's bent.
Exactly. And remember you started with 1 bad wheel and you may end up buying a full set.

Salim
Old 02-21-17, 05:25 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Guys, I think I may need new wheel studs. How much does it cost, and is replacing them an easy job?
Old 02-21-17, 06:55 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987
Guys, I think I may need new wheel studs. How much does it cost, and is replacing them an easy job?
they are about $2-3 a piece... It's an easy job. remove your wheel, caliper, and rotor. Knock the broken stud out with a hammer. Feed the new stud through the backside of the hub...stack about 5-6 washers or fit a small socket on the threaded end to take up slack and pull the stud through flush by ratcheting on a lug nut on the remaining exposed threads. plenty of youtube videos if you need a visual
Old 02-21-17, 07:05 PM
salimshah

Most difficult part is removing the broken stud. You can be lucky or could struggle for a while. I would try to spin the hub and see if the stud can come out without dismantling anything. Ball joint press can be loaned out and may be adapted to press out the stud [just a thought --- I have not done it].

Salim
Old 02-22-17, 10:28 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Most difficult part is removing the broken stud. You can be lucky or could struggle for a while. I would try to spin the hub and see if the stud can come out without dismantling anything. Ball joint press can be loaned out and may be adapted to press out the stud [just a thought --- I have not done it].

Salim

knocking the damaged stud out with a hammer is easy. An old but fitting lug nut over the threads can give a bit more surface area to hit it with if needed. If the broken stud is on a rear hub, the difficult part is fishing out the stud from the e-brake components, they often have to be removed/reinstalled to make space.