RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Why does Lexus use cr@ppy transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 07:09 PM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why does Lexus use cr@ppy transmission??

Pardon my rant, but i'm just so disappointed because the transmission on my RX300 just died. It only has 166K miles on it.
Like most of us here, I've taken care of my RX and have been replacing the transmission fluid using T-IV and replacing the trans filter using OEM part form Lexus dealer. It has been running great and has not given me problems, till one day while I was at a stop light, I stepped on the gas and the car did not go forward. I tried re-shifting and stepped on the gas again then the car jerked violently forward and i heard a strange noise from the transmission. At that point i drove the car slowly to a parking lot and have it towed.

I dropped the pan and tried to change the fluid and filter again, hoping it would miraculously fix it but I think it is in vain. I was shocked to see so much metal pieces in the pan (see pics).
Now the car won't even go reverse, but when I try to shift to D,2 and 1, the noise is gone. Should I still try Lucas transmission fix?

Anyone here in the San francisco bay area had their transmission replaced? preferably a rebuilt one or used? Any recommendation?

PS. after reading other threads about RX300 transmission issues, i did remember a few months back that I smelled something weird near the front of the car. At first I thought it was the brake pads or some engine oil or fluid dripping down the exhaust pipes. It went away after a few days so I did not worry too much about it. Now in hindsight I think that was probably the transmission fluid.
Attached Thumbnails Why does Lexus use cr@ppy transmission??-dsc_0594.jpg  

Last edited by Dyslexi; 02-08-17 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-01-17, 07:41 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What year is your RX?
Old 02-01-17, 08:42 PM
dugoram
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am sorry to hear about that Dyslexi. I just bought an 01 RX300 with 140,000 on her and after reading so many posts here about the transmissions I am so worried mine will do the same thing. I'm always thinking I am noticing the shifting straining but it is probably just me being paranoid. Does anyone think changing the fluids and cleaning the filters really has any effect on prevention? I've always heard transmissions should not need fluid or changing unless there is a problem.A transmission failure on an 01 would be EOL and not cost effective to replace from the costs I've heard. I am a huge fan of Lexus and love my 97 LS400. The RX is my wife's and I hope to get many more miles out of her.
Old 02-01-17, 10:25 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought my rx300 in Oct 2015 with 131,000 mikes and the planetary gears are singing opera in first gear, I have a noisy whine in first I was told it is a problem with this trans. I pulled the pan and changed the filter
did 4 drop and fills using Max Life full synthetic oil changed out 16 quarts using the drain plug in the trans. This is the first Toyota product that I have poor transmission oh by the way if you plan to rebuild your trans
My transmission guy said they weld the ends of the planetary gears so the bearings don't come out this is the weak spot in the trans . I bought my Max Life at Wall Mart for about $20.00 for a 4 quart bottle I did
over do the oil change but I sleep better knowing that all the old fluid is out. I don't know when the trans will blow up it's a crap shoot at this point. Also if you do rebuild your transmission use Max Life it will
help the trans to last longer.
Old 02-01-17, 10:43 PM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Originally Posted by JAB
What year is your RX?
2001 RX300 AWD.. forgot to mention in my first post
Old 02-01-17, 11:40 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyslexi
2001 RX300 AWD.. forgot to mention in my first post
And are you original owner?
Old 02-02-17, 07:02 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I too had a failure at 105k miles with previous transmission fluid changes, that being said mine was a 1999 and when they say don't buy first year, probably good advice. Changes have been made for improvement, and there are so very long threads on transmission failures on this site. Driving routine and maintenance has probably a lot contribute to the failures. The original design was more for a lighter weight Camry than the heavier RX300. But don't feel alone, Other car makers have their share of tranny issues also....Make a decision whether to pursue a rebuilt or whether you want car payments. A lot of us have been in the same boat, and it is at best a rocky experience when you have a major failure. Good luck.
Old 02-02-17, 07:03 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

what was your fluid change intervals? Skip the Lucas..its snake oil.
Old 02-02-17, 09:18 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

At the time I was changing fluid every 30k miles. On my RX400h which is completely different I change once a year or every 15k miles.
Old 02-04-17, 12:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, the RX300 was based on the Camry platform and use the Camry engine and transmission. I guess the sedan transmission wasn't up to the job in an SUV?
Old 02-07-17, 03:32 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I am on my 3rd transmission but i still don't hate the car.
Old 02-07-17, 04:39 PM
shervink24
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metal pieces are bad, and indicate a problem soon to come. The metal should be smooth and sandy on the magnets. There are a lot of good youtube vids for our model car that explain the transmission procedures. Lexus intended the filter to be lifetime which is why they rarely drop the pan at the dealer. By keeping your fluid clean every 15 to 30k the filter will have clean fluid constantly, and will stay cleaner. This isnt the case for me. The original owner replaced the fluid twice, and I dont trust the filter so I am opting to replace it, and drain the fluid through the top trans fluid out line. This will get 70% of your total old trans fluid out. Try to keep the same brand fluid in the trans. Other than Toyota brand I have heard a lot of good things about the Castrol Mult-Car Import ATF fluid. I chose the Castrol because it was cheap at wal mart. $5.50 per qt. My reverse shakes the car violently when reversing into an uphill spot. I have to ease into the gas like a grandma. Otherwise I get up to 80 on the freeway comfortably. Downshifts are sort of late in my opinion but hopefully this will fix it.

2003 RX300 180K original trans.
Old 02-08-17, 12:21 AM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
what was your fluid change intervals? Skip the Lucas..its snake oil.
I replaced transmission fluid and filter about 15 to 20,000 miles. ok yea, I think Lucas won't help.
Old 02-08-17, 12:23 AM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Oldfart
And are you original owner?
2nd owner, I bought it 2004, with only about 35k miles.
Old 02-08-17, 07:20 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Dumb Q but if you got 165K from your transmission, is this really premature wear?
Anytime you can go 150K in a transmission, that is pretty decent
for any SUV

Quick Reply: Why does Lexus use cr@ppy transmission??