RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Why does Lexus use cr@ppy transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 10:41 PM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Dumb Q but if you got 165K from your transmission, is this really premature wear?
Anytime you can go 150K in a transmission, that is pretty decent
for any SUV
Really? If it was a transmission from some american cars then I can understand life expectancy of 150k, but not on Lexus/Toyotas. I've Lexus/Toyota could easily go past 250K mi.
Heck, even my old Nissan Minivan that has been passed down to several relatives now has 220K+ miles and still no issues with transmission.
Old 02-09-17, 10:43 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

do you typically shift your auto transmission in your daily operation? Just throwing it out there because there are people who have that habit for "transmission braking" instead of using their brakes to slow down or regulate speed on hills. I never understood that habit but it can certainly lead to premature transmission wear.
Old 02-10-17, 03:35 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

OP, can you explain the smell a little more? I wonder if I have the same smell.......
Old 02-15-17, 01:23 AM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Originally Posted by MellonC00
OP, can you explain the smell a little more? I wonder if I have the same smell.......
It's hard to describe, smelled like burnt brake pads, but when i go near the wheels and pads i don't smell anything. Or like a oil or some type of fluid that is leaking on hot exhaust.
Old 02-15-17, 01:25 AM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
do you typically shift your auto transmission in your daily operation? Just throwing it out there because there are people who have that habit for "transmission braking" instead of using their brakes to slow down or regulate speed on hills. I never understood that habit but it can certainly lead to premature transmission wear.
No, I leave on 'D' most of the time when driving. I did not even abuse it like racing or towing something heavy. LIke i said earlier I tried to take very good care of it. The rest of the car still looks new, its just that weak transmission that died.
Old 02-23-17, 09:58 PM
shervink24
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed my transmission oil and filter. The auto shop connected a flushing machine to the in and out lines of the transmission. I purchased 13 qt of Castrol import vehicle atf. 9 qt were put into flushing machine. I saw about 9.5 qt of black used ATF fluid come out while 9 qt of fresh fluid was put in. They then dropped the pan and removed filter. This was the first pan drop since original owner purchased vehicle. There were no major metal pieces. Just normal sand like metal mush on the magnets. The pan was cleaned and placed over the new filter. 4 qt of fresh fluid was added again. The issue I had with my reverse gear jerking the car under acceleration went away. The car runs very smooth now. Try to flush all old fluid out. Never mix fluids. I heard the Toyota and Castrol atf having best results. Walmart has Castrol for $5.5 a qt. Can't beat that. Attempting to drain the Trans fluid from the engine bay via a tube, and bucket from the trans fluid out line while adding fluid until the fluid comes out clean might put pressure onto your torque converter. Avoid this. Just pay a shop. It's less than $100 bucks and will save your tranny.

* Never shift an automatic out of D in hopes of manually controlling gear shifts. This hurts your tranny. Leave it in D.

Last edited by shervink24; 02-23-17 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 02-23-17, 11:32 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by shervink24
I just changed my transmission oil and filter. The auto shop connected a flushing machine to the in and out lines of the transmission. I purchased 13 qt of Castrol import vehicle atf. 9 qt were put into flushing machine. I saw about 9.5 qt of black used ATF fluid come out while 9 qt of fresh fluid was put in. They then dropped the pan and removed filter. This was the first pan drop since original owner purchased vehicle. There were no major metal pieces. Just normal sand like metal mush on the magnets. The pan was cleaned and placed over the new filter. 4 qt of fresh fluid was added again. The issue I had with my reverse gear jerking the car under acceleration went away. The car runs very smooth now. Try to flush all old fluid out. Never mix fluids. I heard the Toyota and Castrol atf having best results. Walmart has Castrol for $5.5 a qt. Can't beat that. Attempting to drain the Trans fluid from the engine bay via a tube, and bucket from the trans fluid out line while adding fluid until the fluid comes out clean might put pressure onto your torque converter. Avoid this. Just pay a shop. It's less than $100 bucks and will save your tranny.

* Never shift an automatic out of D in hopes of manually controlling gear shifts. This hurts your tranny. Leave it in D.
This is not recommended practice.

Salim
Old 02-24-17, 06:28 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Salimshah, hooking up to machine and doing a fluid exchange would be fine, It used the transmissions pump to make the change. I agree totally about not doing a flush. Shops don't like the fluid exchange because it takes more time. But the drain and fill is what we all like. I had the fluid exchange done on my truck to switch from Ford fluid to Mobil 1 full synthetic. Never had any issues since. Doing the exchange is so much safer than the flush.
Old 02-28-17, 06:46 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

At the Mercedes forum I get postings like "I just crossed over the 100k Mile mark. ". Then it's followed by guys asking "wow how did you do it?" Or "are you a mechanic" or "did you have extended warranty or extended warranty and pre-paid maintenance pkg?"

We r pretty spoiled with our cars.
Old 03-08-17, 05:52 PM
shervink24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Salimshah, hooking up to machine and doing a fluid exchange would be fine, It used the transmissions pump to make the change. I agree totally about not doing a flush. Shops don't like the fluid exchange because it takes more time. But the drain and fill is what we all like. I had the fluid exchange done on my truck to switch from Ford fluid to Mobil 1 full synthetic. Never had any issues since. Doing the exchange is so much safer than the flush.
​​​​​​​Your spot on. The mechanic shop who's also my best friend from school (we go back) said it's best to stick with Toyota ATF only. He was hesitant to want to change using the Castrol import ATF I brought but did it anyways. He said a full fluid replacement is not the right thing to do. I was in a odd situation with the fluid being the original since the car was purchased. It was grayish black and smelled like rotten eggs. The car runs 100% better now after the flush and Beck/Arnl filter change. Although the fluid still smells like rotten egg from the dipstick even though it is a cleaner red color. He didn't test drive the car either saying that after this many miles a full fluid replacement may cause the tranny to break during the test drive. So I drove it off the lift and its running great so I'm stoked.

​​​​​​​During hard acceleration the shifts are smooth. During slow, light driving the shifts sometimes have a thud, shaking sensation. THIS FRIGHTENS ME *

Last edited by shervink24; 03-08-17 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 06:12 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dyslexi
Pardon my rant, but i'm just so disappointed because the transmission on my RX300 just died. It only has 166K miles on it.
Like most of us here, I've taken care of my RX and have been replacing the transmission fluid using T-IV and replacing the trans filter using OEM part form Lexus dealer. It has been running great and has not given me problems, till one day while I was at a stop light, I stepped on the gas and the car did not go forward. I tried re-shifting and stepped on the gas again then the car jerked violently forward and i heard a strange noise from the transmission. At that point i drove the car slowly to a parking lot and have it towed.

I dropped the pan and tried to change the fluid and filter again, hoping it would miraculously fix it but I think it is in vain. I was shocked to see so much metal pieces in the pan (see pics).
Now the car won't even go reverse, but when I try to shift to D,2 and 1, the noise is gone. Should I still try Lucas transmission fix?

Anyone here in the San francisco bay area had their transmission replaced? preferably a rebuilt one or used? Any recommendation?

PS. after reading other threads about RX300 transmission issues, i did remember a few months back that I smelled something weird near the front of the car. At first I thought it was the brake pads or some engine oil or fluid dripping down the exhaust pipes. It went away after a few days so I did not worry too much about it. Now in hindsight I think that was probably the transmission fluid.
you've been dropping the pan routinely and this is the first time you saw all these metal pieces? my rx was neglected and i changed half the fluid for first time last year at 150k. everything's still good so far. i guess i'm lucky.
Old 03-11-17, 07:21 AM
salimshah

Theories abound, but no one has determined the common cause of failure.

I have been on lax fluid changes during first 100k [45k drain fill] miles and then on 15k drain fill and had no transmission issues [now at 1/4 million miles]. Folks who have done more changes have run into issues.

Salim
Old 03-11-17, 02:04 PM
shervink24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Theories abound, but no one has determined the common cause of failure.

I have been on lax fluid changes during first 100k [45k drain fill] miles and then on 15k drain fill and had no transmission issues [now at 1/4 million miles]. Folks who have done more changes have run into issues.

Salim
​​​​​​​This is interesting. So after 170k I finally change the original trans fluid and my trans is running smoother than before. When you say 15k drain and fill Salim after 100k were you changing the filter also with every drain and fill? Maybe changing the filter excessively hurts the tranny. Lexus intended it to be a lifetime filter.
Old 03-11-17, 02:22 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by shervink24
This is interesting. So after 170k I finally change the original trans fluid and my trans is running smoother than before. When you say 15k drain and fill Salim after 100k were you changing the filter also with every drain and fill? Maybe changing the filter excessively hurts the tranny. Lexus intended it to be a lifetime filter.
I have the screen filter and only dropped the pan once at around 110K miles. Rest have been drain and fill only.

Everything you have read is speculation as we, consumers, have no specific information about what causes the transmission to die and or what can keep it working longer. Dont forget, it can be driving habits too and back in 1999, 110k from auto-trans was somewhat of a gold standard. [Yes, consumers had vehicles that lasted longer].

​​​​​​​Salim
Old 04-01-17, 09:54 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

Originally Posted by Dyslexi
Really? If it was a transmission from some american cars then I can understand life expectancy of 150k, but not on Lexus/Toyotas. I've Lexus/Toyota could easily go past 250K mi.
Heck, even my old Nissan Minivan that has been passed down to several relatives now has 220K+ miles and still no issues with transmission.
Should get a ez 200k miles at least.

Quick Reply: Why does Lexus use cr@ppy transmission??