RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Time to do my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 09:29 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

You know, aftermarket struts suck and are not worth the paint they put on them. Go to ebay and find one from a dismantler with low miles. Buy the whole complete strut and bolt it in. It will be pennies on the dollar and requires little skill to replace them.
you can find them for $60. Just look them over for leaking oil, otherwise they will be exactly like the other three on the rx

sometimes you can score them cheaper on craigslist locally.

Last edited by Drcoffee; 01-07-17 at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jwigley (01-11-17)
Old 01-09-17, 09:25 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input folks.

Any suggestions on websites with complete OEM strut assemblies?
Old 01-09-17, 04:47 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Unfortunately they do not make what are affectionately know as "quick struts" for the RX300. So you're left to piece it out. KYB is, as much as I've understood, the OEM struts just rebranded. I've done the two RX's we have in the house now with KYB struts and Monroe mounts and all seems to be well. I did not to them myself, but purchased all the parts myself and had my mechanic install. The one RX had 110k miles when I did the struts and the other 67k miles. This was all within the last 6 months.

So now it seems like you have lots of information from knowledgable members. So let us know what you decide! Find a good Indy mechanic to do it for you, don't waste time at the dealer.
jwigley (01-11-17)
Old 01-10-17, 11:01 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
Unfortunately they do not make what are affectionately know as "quick struts" for the RX300. So you're left to piece it out. KYB is, as much as I've understood, the OEM struts just rebranded. I've done the two RX's we have in the house now with KYB struts and Monroe mounts and all seems to be well. I did not to them myself, but purchased all the parts myself and had my mechanic install. The one RX had 110k miles when I did the struts and the other 67k miles. This was all within the last 6 months.

So now it seems like you have lots of information from knowledgable members. So let us know what you decide! Find a good Indy mechanic to do it for you, don't waste time at the dealer.

Actually FCS has quick struts for the RX300 for sometime now. Rock Auto has them. Pretty decent reviews on Amazon for the quick struts for other applications but no reviews for the RX300 application.

FWIW, i have approximately 25k on my KYB-GR2 strut replacements on my OEM springs and strut tops. Still a great comfortable ride and continues to handle the abuse of the Philly/NYC area potholes.
Per my review posts, I do not recommend the KYB aftermarket strut mounts due to poor welds that will crack and separate as mine had.
jwigley (01-11-17)
Old 01-10-17, 11:24 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Last edited by fastnoypi; 01-10-17 at 11:26 AM. Reason: double post
Old 01-10-17, 12:37 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Actually FCS has quick struts for the RX300 for sometime now. Rock Auto has them. Pretty decent reviews on Amazon for the quick struts for other applications but no reviews for the RX300 application.

FWIW, i have approximately 25k on my KYB-GR2 strut replacements on my OEM springs and strut tops. Still a great comfortable ride and continues to handle the abuse of the Philly/NYC area potholes.
Per my review posts, I do not recommend the KYB aftermarket strut mounts due to poor welds that will crack and separate as mine had.
Thanks for that info.

I'm essentially just trying to keep this vehicle operational at this point. I would love OEM components but if an FCS quick strut can get me through the next 2 years then I would be would be happy with that.

Just so that I'm clear on this. Lets say that I decided to get the front left and right FCS "quick strut" and put them in. What else should I take care of? FYI, I replaced the sway bar end links earlier in 2016.
Old 01-10-17, 02:57 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by jwigley
Thanks for that info.

I'm essentially just trying to keep this vehicle operational at this point. I would love OEM components but if an FCS quick strut can get me through the next 2 years then I would be would be happy with that.

Just so that I'm clear on this. Lets say that I decided to get the front left and right FCS "quick strut" and put them in. What else should I take care of? FYI, I replaced the sway bar end links earlier in 2016.
I suspect you are referring to your front set of struts... while the front is up in the air you can do the following maintenance items...Inspect and replace your brake components as needed while the wheels are off, oil change, transmission drain/refill and/or filter change.

if you decide to take a chance on the FCS struts, please give a review.
Old 01-11-17, 03:51 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

I am on rockauto.com and I was wondering if these look like the correct parts to do just my front end on my 01 RX300:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....373879&jsn=336

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....373879&jsn=337

I'm not in my car but I have the the "snow" button in my ride which I guess makes it an AWD.

I just want to make sure that I don't buy the wrong set up.
Old 01-11-17, 04:11 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by jwigley
I am on rockauto.com and I was wondering if these look like the correct parts to do just my front end on my 01 RX300:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....373879&jsn=336

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....373879&jsn=337

I'm not in my car but I have the the "snow" button in my ride which I guess makes it an AWD.

I just want to make sure that I don't buy the wrong set up.
Verify with your VIN

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vindecoder.php
jwigley (01-13-17)
Old 01-13-17, 03:32 PM
chazen
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Following this ... looking at FCS complete assemblies for our '99 w/ 198K on it. I understand OEM, but solving the strut issues on all four corners for less than $500 is attractive. Clunk, rattle and roll. Thanks.
Chris
Old 03-19-17, 06:35 AM
chazen
Driver School Candidate

So I just installed the FCS replacement struts for our '99 RX300 - easy job. Minimal removal of parts required. Remove wheel, disconnect sway bar from strut, disconnect brake line mount and ABS sensor line. Adjust height of hub/rotor to easily remove the two large bolts holding strut bottom, remove the three nuts at top of strut in either the rear cargo area or under hood (rear/front respectively). Rinse, wash and repeat X 4.

Anyone have any interest in the OEM struts I removed? Fronts appear to be leaky, rears have cracked dust boots but do not appear to be leaking. PM me and I can send pictures - if I had a set to rebuild I might have gone that route, but the convenience of the bolt in option was a big motivator for me.

Will provide updates as I can regarding ride etc ... but the initial review is a much quieter ride eliminating metal on metal clunks and rattles on typical washboard dirt road. Seems fine on the asphalt, tight and smooth.

Chris in CO

ROCKAUTO order below

The following 2 users liked this post by chazen:
CaltonB (09-28-17), jwigley (04-02-17)
Old 03-19-17, 09:50 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Chris:

Do followup with a 1 yr review.

We have 'Pay it forward' ... where you give the things for free and only change actual shipping
or
Classified section. Classified posts require that the seller has history with CL.

Salim
Old 03-20-17, 12:37 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Thank you for the info Chris.

I assume that what you've shown us here is your purchase order for two different vehicles correct? It looks like you only changed your front end suspension on your 99 RX300. Is this a correct assumption? If so, how is the ride quality now?
Old 03-27-17, 07:55 AM
chazen
Driver School Candidate

No this is the order for all 4 struts for the RX300. Earlier in the thread (or in another similar thread) there is discussion of cross compatibility with Highlanders. Rock auto did not have the rears available for the RX, but another CL member made note of the Highlander using the same parts. I checked on the FCS website and looked at the spec's for the struts recommended for the RX and the Highlander and they are the same dimensionally. Hence the order appearing like it is for two different vehicles. I added the Purchase Order screenshot to aid in part number selection for other RX drivers interested in this approach.

As far as ride improvements go the primary change is the reduction in metal on metal clunks - it is much more quiet. Secondly the handling is tighter on our winding canyon roads here in Colorado - a noticeable change.
jwigley (04-02-17)
Old 03-27-17, 02:55 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

@Chazen thanks for the initial review on the FCS struts. Do the struts come with the "universal" top hats with 4 studs? ( one you have to remove when you figure it out) ...or standard 3 mounting studs? FCS seems to have the 4 stud layout with some struts in their catalog to accommodate different cars that have the same or similar ride heights and knuckle mounting points so they can be cross referenced among certain makes.

Quick Reply: Time to do my suspension