RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Instrument Cluster Panel Light Bulb Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 06:16 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instrument Cluster Panel Light Bulb Sizes

After nearly 8 years I finally decided it was time to replace the famous burnt out "D" bulb and also "P" for me even though they never bothered me much... I also decided to just replace all 6 gear positions with led t4's in green light output, they all light up now but since leds have to be installed with the right polarity I wound up pulling a couple out again to turn them half a turn to get the right polarity... These do not dim with the rest of the dash so hope they last a long time, although the t4 leds are not dimmable... The original P & D sockets were gray and the others were black but original owner tampered with this cluster and the missing bulbs and a cluster mounting screw tells me they did...

Now since I finally pulled the cluster I found empty slots for the next size bulb and one spot is the VSC slot that is missing the socket/bulb, can anyone tell me if that size is the T5? What color does the VSC show up as dash when it is lit, orange? Just trying to confirm this as I would like to get an led for that and want to get it in the matching color to the VSC indicator as it shows through on dash. The other empty spot I could not see anything in there by shining light so I think it is just a spare spot. I tried googling these other lights but seems that I did not come across any previous rx300 owners replacing them...

I know the original light bulbs are clear but read that using a white led bulb makes it too bright and or changes the original color when it shines through so if I get a colored led like I did for the gear lights it should be slightly dimmer and gear indicators are plenty bright using green leds.