RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Wiring for a tow hitch - 2000 RX-300

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 02:55 PM
RandyL712
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for a tow hitch - 2000 RX-300

I know the later years have the wiring pretty much done for you, but in 1999 and 2000 it's not. Has anyone wired up a tow hitch? I understand you have to wire it from the battery! Any instructions / pictorials out there?
Old 05-19-03, 11:36 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Do a bit of digging with the search option.

If you buy the Lexus hitch, it comes with isolater, wiring pigtails and instructions. I installed mine couple of years back (posted instructions as well as commentary) and have not used it till now. One needs to gain access up inot the tail lights and the AUX power socket in the rear hatch.

Confirm that the kit would work before buying it.

Salim
Old 05-20-03, 12:00 AM
RandyL712
Rookie

Originally posted by salimshah
Do a bit of digging with the search option.

If you buy the Lexus hitch, it comes with isolater, wiring pigtails and instructions. I installed mine couple of years back (posted instructions as well as commentary) and have not used it till now. One needs to gain access up inot the tail lights and the AUX power socket in the rear hatch.

Confirm that the kit would work before buying it.

Salim
I've actually done a lot of searching - can you find your post which had the instructions? I can't seem to find it.
Old 05-20-03, 11:17 PM
salimshah

I traced it as far back as '01 and gaveup immediately after finding LEXRX's post with photos. Not knowing how to add a html link here, I have bumped it up. PM me if you need more info.

Salim
Old 05-21-03, 06:34 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

salimshah:
I have a 2001 rx300 and attemped to install a harness a while back. Your explanation sounds too easy unless I bought the wrong part. I have lexus part No. 08921-00030 Trailering wire harness. The instructions call to remove the deck side trim, rear floor finish plate, rear floor finish side plate, rear door inside scuff plate, rear seat, rear seat side garnish, deck side trim cover and deck side rim panel amoung other things. In other words tear the whole insides out! I got cold feet and never installed it. You mention an isolater-what is that? My kit did not have such a part but did have a converter. Is that the same thing?
My main question is did you have to pull all the inside panels I mentioned to install your harness or is there a different part available? Can any one else enlighten me? This is an all day project at least for me.
Old 05-21-03, 08:46 AM
RandyL712
Rookie

I think there is confusion here - I'm not looking for the hitch, I'm looking for the wiring, and instructions on installing it.
Old 05-21-03, 11:51 AM
salimshah

I have a 99 RX 300 and I installed the Lexus trailer hitch (came with wiring) back in 2000. [Note: There might have been modifications in the wiring in a later model so check with Lexus part store before parting with $$ and spending time]. I am writing this based on my best recollection ....

Hitch: You have to remove the back tie-downs (things used to rope the veh during the sea journey) and uncover holes (plastic pop outs) to install the hitch. If you are by yourself, you can jury rig and hang the far side of the hitch while you attach the other side. Total time 20 min

Wiring:
Components: Convertor/isolater, "Y" harness, connector harness, ground tail, supply line.
Things required (if not in kit): Silicone sealer, double sided tape.

Process: Ask the friendly Lexus part people to fax you the blow out of the hatch. Will show you how trim pieces are attached with screws or pop-outs.
Empty out the hatch spare and all. Remove the trim piece that is right above the bumper .. leading into the hatch.Undo the side trim pieces (the veritcal continuation of the trim). Gently peel back to gain access in to the area behind the rear bulb assembly. The ends of the Y harness connect there to brake, turn and light wires. One has to dig a bit deeper for the supply (power) line. Keep opening the driver side rear hatch panel to get to the AUX power (cigarette lighter type plug) in the hatch. This can be done without unbuttoning the rear seat. Tuck the wires and attach the isolater in the spare wheel area with double sided tape. [make sure the spare would fit]. Attach the gnd and run out the connector wire to the outside by cutting one of the rubber drain plugs in the spare wheel well. Seal the hole with the sealent. Attach the connector the hitch, test and you are done

Time 2hrs. & I would not do it without the blow out of trim pieces.

Difficulty level: Any DIY, but the squeemish. Most difficult part: Reaching the AUX power plug.
Good: No splicing is required with the Lexus kit.
Why not to do it: Not worth the trouble if one want s to just hang bikes etc on the hitch.
Alternatives: Yes, another member found another kit and posted the name and process (2000/2001).
Other is to give Lexus 3hrs of labor $200 (estimate).

Hope it helps

Salim
Old 05-21-03, 12:01 PM
salimshah

Originally posted by rogerh00
salimshah:
I have a 2001 rx300 and attemped to install a harness a while back. Your explanation sounds too easy unless I bought the wrong part. I have lexus part No. 08921-00030 Trailering wire harness. The instructions call to remove the deck side trim, rear floor finish plate, rear floor finish side plate, rear door inside scuff plate, rear seat, rear seat side garnish, deck side trim cover and deck side rim panel amoung other things. In other words tear the whole insides out! I got cold feet and never installed it. You mention an isolater-what is that? My kit did not have such a part but did have a converter. Is that the same thing?
My main question is did you have to pull all the inside panels I mentioned to install your harness or is there a different part available? Can any one else enlighten me? This is an all day project at least for me.
I will have to check receipt to confirm part number, but there is no reason for it to be different.
The problem is in reaching the AUX power. I managed to reach it from the hatch. Let your senses guide you. I can assure you, It is easy and not worth giving the $200 away.

{any way to run spell checker}
Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-21-03 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-23-03, 06:40 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 2001 lexus added the wiring as standard equipment. All you have to do is plug in a connector and controller. Before 2001 you had to do quite a bit of disassembly and wiring. There has been much confusion over this. Many 2001+ owners have purchased the pre-2001 kit and did it the hard way. Also many 2001+ owners installed the connector without the controller and had trouble. Here is a link that sheds a little more light on the subject:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=wiring
Old 06-11-03, 08:54 AM
RandyL712
Rookie

First, I have a 2000 year model. I know on '01 and later, this isn't an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the conclusion I'm getting from these posts. To wire up the tow hitch, you have two options:

1) Get the factory hitch + wiring for $400-500 and it connects to existing wiring back in the hatch area.

2) Go aftermarket, and you have to wire the lights from the battery under the hood.

Is that correct? If so, is there ANY WAY to get the factory wiring kit without getting the factory hitch?

Last edited by RandyL712; 06-11-03 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-11-03, 09:28 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that's totally correct but close. Remember, I have a 01 not a 00 so some of this info came from posts from other owners who did have a 00 and is hard to confirm. I have a HiddenHitch 70777 and only need the controller and simple wiring connector mentioned in the link above.

"1) Get the factory hitch + wiring for $400-500 and it connects to existing wiring back in the hatch area."
That sounds about right, but the wiring is very similar to the aftermarket wiring.

"2) Go aftermarket, and you have to wire the lights from the battery under the hood."
Complete wiring directions are located at the link above. It is done in the rear hatch area but needs to be wired to the tail lights, etc., not just a one plug connect for everything like 01 +. I believe if you get the pre-01 wiring from Lexus you will have the same install.

"Is that correct? If so, is there ANY WAY to get the factory wiring kit without getting the factory hitch?"
My recommendation would be to find a HiddenHitch dealer, have him install the hitch and do the wiring. You could order and install the hitch yourself and have him do the wiring but the savings would be mimimal.