RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Chasing a fuel consuming ghost

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 04:42 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only used my scanner to read and clear codes and had a quick chance today to see what else it can do so I created the following gauges and took a screen shot of the readings... Car was parked and idling after full warm up and it was running slighly rough... I have not figured out how to change from C to F but it hit 85C sitting at there idle, driving around it is about 83C(about 181F)... Earlier the idle was about 650 and was a bit smoother, vaccuum was then 25 at that idle...
Old 09-28-16, 09:42 PM
aznlapin
Driver

I have only used my scanner to read and clear codes and had a quick chance today to see what else it can do so I created the following gauges and took a screen shot of the readings... Car was parked and idling after full warm up and it was running slighly rough... I have not figured out how to change from C to F but it hit 85C sitting at there idle, driving around it is about 83C(about 181F)... Earlier the idle was about 650 and was a bit smoother, vaccuum was then 25 at that idle...
C/F is in the general settings --> units, if you have torque pro.

Pull some PIDS for Oxygen and A/F sensors, as well as fuel ratios. That should get you started.
Old 09-29-16, 05:38 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

35 minute idle readings

Took a screen shot of readings every 5 secs...so will post a few more pics...

revved to 2200 rpm's to see any changes This is key on, engine off
Old 09-29-16, 05:49 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Originally Posted by aznlapin
C/F is in the general settings --> units, if you have torque pro.

Pull some PIDS for Oxygen and A/F sensors, as well as fuel ratios. That should get you started.
Thanks for the info... Finally changed the units...

I pulled every pid that was active when engine was running. There are a few others but don't think they will help...

Oil temp reading does not work but I threw in the gauge anyway... One would think it would pick it up unless there is something wrong with my car... Battery voltage is also not active... Or maybe it has to do with my scanner...

I don't know what I'm looking for but hope someone can point out anything out of whack in the readings... If any gauge needs to be explained for what it is for, let me know... Thank you all in advance for any info in trying to figure out this guzzler...
Old 09-29-16, 06:31 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Just restarted car and it is running a bit rough and here are the readings... Rpms are low as well
Attached Thumbnails Chasing a fuel consuming ghost-screenshot_2016-09-29-09-27-56.png   Chasing a fuel consuming ghost-screenshot_2016-09-29-09-27-35.png  
Old 09-29-16, 08:13 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.0PSD
Just restarted car and it is running a bit rough and here are the readings... Rpms are low as well
Your last reading STFT1 and LTFT1 appear high. Confirms something going on with your Bank 1 o2 sensor. Before going on to replace it, disconnect your battery cable...reconnect and drive around for the day for the ecu to learn the fuel trims. Log the sensor again and see if it has settled.
Old 09-29-16, 08:20 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

It's a miserable day out here today in CNJ with drizzle on and off... Car has been running at its' worse today compared to the last4+ weeks, thinking it is weather related causing this today... Have not had the 171 code in a few weeks and it has now just popped back up... Will clear it now... I just replaced the battery early this week so had both cables off for a few minutes but will pull the cable off again later on today...

EDIT: Is there anyway to tell by the gauges if the injectors are doing their job? Or spark plugs?

Last edited by 6.0PSD; 09-29-16 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 02:54 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Disconnected ground for about 20 minutes then these are the readings I got... Don't remember exactly which ones were taken right after a couple hard take offs but they should be a couple of pics in the middle of the pics if they load in exact order... If the O2 sensor is the most probable cause then I'll go ahead and get it...

Does the MAF gauge show normal activity for a properly functioning sensor?
​​
Attached Thumbnails Chasing a fuel consuming ghost-screenshot_2016-09-29-16-09-34.png   Chasing a fuel consuming ghost-screenshot_2016-09-29-15-55-08.png   Chasing a fuel consuming ghost-screenshot_2016-09-29-15-53-16.png   Chasing a fuel consuming ghost-screenshot_2016-09-29-15-48-27.png   Chasing a fuel consuming ghost-screenshot_2016-09-29-15-47-47.png  

Chasing a fuel consuming ghost-screenshot_2016-09-29-15-46-36.png   Chasing a fuel consuming ghost-screenshot_2016-09-29-15-43-03.png  
Old 09-29-16, 03:07 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Default Confirm part # Denso 234-9009

Just want to confirm the o2 sensor part number, Denso 234-9009
Old 10-05-16, 02:19 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Default FAKE or NOT, is it obvious?

The letters/#'s are engraved into that sleeve...

So I just received the a/f sensor and although it is inscribed with the oem details how can I really know for sure it is an actual denso? I'll post pics so maybe someone can tell me...

Price was really low compared to most so I am really skeptical about its' authenticity since it didn't come in a box, just loose in a bubble bag...

Here's pics...

Hope to get it installed this weekend if hurricane Mathew doesn't affect the East coast...

Last edited by 6.0PSD; 10-05-16 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added pic...
Old 10-05-16, 05:03 PM
Macmasdad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just placed an order off Amazon directly through Denso, but will not have it until next week to directly compare it to your pictures. From looking at your pictures the overall design looks to be the same. Go to Amazon and review the Denso site picture. Best of luck with the replacement and let us know how if that improves our gas mileage.
Old 10-07-16, 08:42 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Default Installed the new sensor

So the installation was less than 15 minutes and super easy... Took a 5 mile round trip to advance auto to get the socket loan set and started taking sensor off with everything still hot.. All the tools i used... Arrow was to push on the clip lock from a distance with my left wgile i easily pulled the clip apart with my right from underneath car... Car is on ramps...

New/Old side by side with the socket used to remove/install with the 1/2" ratchet shown... Used the pipe to ease the removal but installed with ratchet only...

Then pulled neg cable off battery for about 20 minutes... Took it for a test drive to find the readings are still not different than before... Drove around for about 4 miles and these are the readings I'm getting with the new sensor...

To make matters worse it is now throwing both P0171 and P1135... So much for trusting the authenticity of my new sensor... Going to change back to the old one before I go return the sockets as it never threw a P1135...
Old 10-07-16, 09:31 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Default Pulled Bank 2 sensor to install it in Bank 1

Bank2 on left with white/gray tip... Old bank 1 on right...

I had the hardest time removing B2 senso... Broke it loose with the o2 socket then used a 6" adjustable to rock it back and forth for what felt like an hour to remove, but not quite... Kept throwing a few drops of mmo onto the threads as I worked it out

Installation on bank 2 with old b1 sensor was just as difficult... Will need a thread chaser in the future...

Pulled the new sensor back out of B1 and installed old B2 sensor there to see what happens... And the first time ever seeing the code P1135 because of the new sensor... Pulling neg cable again to reset everything... Hope this new sensor didn't create another issue...

Last edited by 6.0PSD; 10-07-16 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Installed old B1 sensor in B2
Old 10-07-16, 10:41 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Went for a 12 mile drive and no codes... I don't know what the readings are doing with the swapped o2's but wonder if this is still a bad a/f sensor, the new one I got only created another code at B1... With this 12 mile run no codes popped up yet with the old a/f sensors, with that new sensor the codes came up within the first mile...

Shot of the readings with the swapped sensors

Another shot of swapped sensors while driving

Last edited by 6.0PSD; 10-07-16 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Double of the same pic, deleted one.
Old 10-07-16, 02:12 PM
Macmasdad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised that new one did not work. If it was indeed a fake of the Denso AF, it looks like a very good fake. Wonder if it was an issue with the male connection, since swapping the old connectors seems to have worked so far. My AF ordered directly from Denso is not due to arrive until next week. I will post when received, but it will definitely look better than the one currently on my Bank 1 shown below. This one is definitely NOT a Denso AF, plus notice the couple of nicks in the wire, which don't help matters. I like the readouts your OBD II is giving you, and am interested in reading what others can diagnose from the readouts. What brand/how much/from where did you get it?

Quick Reply: Chasing a fuel consuming ghost