RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Knock Sensors #1 & #2

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 07:27 AM
BlackRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock Sensors #1 & #2

Are both knock sensors located close together so I could replace both at the same time?
Is this a good thing to do while everything is apart?
For the price of the sensors vs the labor, is it worth it to replace both at the same time?

How much are OEM knock sensors?
Private indy shop wants $1200 to replace knock sensor #2 and one O2 sensor. WOW

Thanks
Old 08-10-16, 08:34 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRX300
Are both knock sensors located close together so I could replace both at the same time?
For the price of the sensors vs the labor, is it worth it to replace both at the same time?

Thanks
Please look through the DIY sticky thread. There is link in there. Not that I am recommending that you do a DIY, but it will help you understand what the process is.

Once you open the top off, the two sensors are accessible at the same time and I would highly recommend replacing both at the same time and also the little wire harness.

You have parts and labor. Labor is roughly 6-8hrs although some one claims they have done it in 4. You can check with the shop about the book hours for the labor.

Salim
Old 08-10-16, 02:57 PM
Pzindy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That $1200 is pretty close to the quotes I was getting when I had the P0330 code and was trying to decide to DIY this or pay someone else. Ultimately I decided to DIY. I spent more than 8 hours and thankfully had another vehicle to drive for the few days it took me to finish the project. But gained a lot of confidence while doing it.

One comment, if it is the #1 air/fuel sensor that needs to be replaced, The time to do it would be while the plenum is off to get to the knock sensors. I had replaced that sensor about a month before the knock sensor project. I really struggled trying to get to it from underneath in limited quarters. With the plenum off, that sensor was "right there". with easy access.
Old 08-15-16, 10:45 AM
MtnDweller
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRX300

Thanks
My dh travels for a living and when he's home, his time is valuable so we chose to let a shop replace the sensors. Of course they had to do their own diagnosis and they came up with the same answer as we did, both knock sensors were bad. For the first time ever, we let someone else work on our car. They charged us right at $1200 to replace both sensors and the wiring harness. This was a little over a year ago.