RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 12:59 PM
LIVN XL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Taillights

I just got a 99 RX300 and was wondering if any of you knew if the mirrored taillights that are on the newer RX's would fit the 99 RX.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-11-03, 01:39 PM
danverdi
Driver School Candidate

Yes, they do. Bought them from Park Place Lexus on the web (no tax and free S/H - can't beat that!) and having them installed this weekend.

-Dan
Old 05-11-03, 02:58 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default LIVN, you can also change them your self...

You may be able to find them at ProCarParts.com (they reportedly have blacked out lights now, but had the mirrored last year).

ebay has them listed from time to time. You can get an idea of what it would take to change them at Click Here. Good Luck.
Old 05-14-03, 09:58 AM
badams
Pole Position

If you get the 'aftermarket' chromed taillights they come with a new wiring harness. If you get actual Lexus chromed taillights you have to modify your wires, bulbs, etc. to make them work.

I put actual Lexus 2002 taillights on my 1999 RX and they were a little difficult. Sure they bolt right on, that part was easy. The tailgate light bulb sockets had to have the tabs shaved a little before they would fit and the taillight light bulb sockets on the body of the car are totally different. I created a spacer from a Chrysler master cylinder gasket (or something like that) that was basically a rubber grommet that fit inside the socket hole of the new taillight that created a smaller opening for the older style socket to fit into. I also had to paint my bulbs orange because I could not find good quality orange blinker bulbs in the right style. I forget the model number of the blinker bulbs but I just got orange transparent paint from a craft store that was made for glass. Put on two coats and they look great. Do not use cheap aftermarket orange bulbs, I did and they burnt out in less than a few hours. Just paint your Lexus bulbs.

Or...

I suggest getting the aftermarket taillights, even if you have to pay a little more, getting that new 'aftermarket' wiring harness is worth it. By the way you cannot use a newer year 'Lexus' wiring harness on an older RX. I don't know where the 'aftermarket' wiring harness comes from, the aftermarket taillight guys must be producing their own.

Get the aftermarket taillights!

B4D4MS
Old 05-14-03, 01:37 PM
LIVN XL
Pole Position

Thanks badams...yea, i don't want to go through all that trouble just to get the taillights on. I did look on procarparts.com but they only have the black houseing ones now...not the mirrored ones. So if anyone knows where I can get aftermarker chromed taillights, please let me know!!

Badams, about the bulbs, have you considered putting on red LED's, instead of orange bulbs. They don't necessarily have to be orange. I replaced my orange bulbs out of my IS300 with red LED's. I like the red turn signals much better. Thats what my plans are with the aftermarket taillights, I will put in red LED's for the turn signal and hypers for the reverse lights and hypers all around in the front. The hypers make the whole housing look blue if you know what I mean. Thats the set-up I have on my IS300 and it looks great!!!
Old 05-14-03, 02:01 PM
badams
Pole Position

Talking

In response to LIVN XL...

I couldn't find any red bulbs either! Originally I painted the blinker bulbs yellow, kind of cool, different to say the least, it was on accident because the bottle the paint came in was orange. It is actually my wife's RX and she wanted everything to look like a 2002, right down to the bulb color. So I took them back out and painted them orange instead of yellow.

I even replaced the grill on her RX to a 2002 grill. I didn't even notice that they were different, but she did. So now everything on her car looks like a 2002. Except for the rear spoiler, we have the stock 1999 deflector type spoiler. It mounts in totally different holes, I wasn't about to pay a body shop to fill in the old holes and paint them. I told her I was drawing the line.

Now she has the 2002 grill, 2002 headlights, 2002 taillights, 2002 rear bumper protector thing...1999 spoiler, oh well.

B4D4MS
Old 05-14-03, 02:03 PM
badams
Pole Position

In response to LIVN XL...

I've heard of problems with the LED blinkers causing the dashboard light to come on (the light that comes on telling you there is a lighting problem). You may want to look into this. If you don't have problems let me know. I'd love to use the LED blinkers.

Thanks,
B4D4MS
Old 05-15-03, 07:01 AM
LIVN XL
Pole Position

Badams,

I haven't had the dashboard lights come on for my blinkers on the IS300. They are on due to the LED's I just put on in my clear inner circle lights. The resistor on the LED's I bought from superbrightleds.com aren't powerful enough to turn off the dashboard light, so the car thinks the bulb doesnt work. Besides that, there are no problems, and if you don't mind the dashboard light being on, its no big deal.

Where did you get the 2002 headlights? Do you have any places in mind that I could try and find the aftermarket chromed taillights from?

Thanks!!
Old 05-15-03, 08:45 AM
badams
Pole Position

LIVN XL...

I got everything off ebay.com

I paid $300.00 plus shipping for both headlights, which are made by TYC and they are not HID, my wife didn't even know the difference between regular lights and HID so I figure why pay more for HID. The TYC lights are great, they look exactly like the Lexus headlights and I was able to install them both in about 75 minutes.

I also paid $300 for the taillights on ebay.com, they were actual Lexus taillights, not so easy to install, like I said previously, I'd find the aftermarket taillights if possible if they come with the extra wiring harness. I bought mine before I knew about the wiring fiasco, besides $300 for a pair of Lexus taillights is a good deal.

I'd just keep an eye on ebay. It took a while between getting the headlights and then the taillights. I got the headlights back in January and the taillights about a month ago.

Having both the headlights and taillights really makes a 1999 RX look great. If you get your hands on some headlights do a search for "badams", I explain what tools make the headlight job easier. I've heard some guys stating it took them 4 hours to change their headlights, took me 75 minutes...and that includes running abck and forth getting the RIGHT tool from the shed.

I did find a place called "Autolights" that could get me TYC headlights for $232.88 each + shipping, which I thought was way to steep. If you are interested their number is 1-800-720-6555.

The only other place selling the taillights was www.procarparts.com, but they only have the black style now, which if I had a black RX I'd get them, but mine is Millenium Silver.

Good luck!

BADAMS