RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

how to tell if the engine mount is ok

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-16, 11:32 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to tell if the engine mount is ok

I replaced timing belt yesterday. The mechanician told me the engine mount are "cracked". What does it mean?

My 2001 RX300 is at 180,000 miles. At this age, I don't expect everything is prefect, but I certainly want to keep the car for several more years. The mechanician want to replace the engine mount next time, but I am not sure if there are real some big problems, or just because he want to push service.

How to tell if the engine mount is OK. How to check it? I didn't notice anything unusual from the engine. While driving, the engine noise is the same as before.

I have even no idea where is engine mount...........

Last edited by lserlohn; 07-04-16 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 07:00 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Engine mounts are mechanical attachment by which the engine is secured to the body/frame of the vehicle. Since the engine vibrates and shifts, the attachment is made of hard rubber. Eventually the hard rubber cracks and that allows free movement of engine. This free movement can be dangerous and should be addressed.

RX has dynamic mount. It employs a vibration cancellation mechanism in one of the mounts ... look directly below the oil filter. This one is the most expensive mount. RX also has a torque canceling mount (which does not support the weight) and this is referred as the dog-bone mount. This one is on top of the engine above the drive belts on the passenger side. This can be changed without hassle and usually the first mount that gives way.
There has been a recent discussion on replacing the other 2 mounts (below the engine near the cabin).

Visual inspection of operation of the rubber for breaks and tear is the first way to conclude there is problem. Next requires long levers and one has to push the engine away to see if there is a play. Experienced mechanics can tell by looking at at the shift of engine when engine produces torque. Remember the good mounts also allow some movement so experience tells what is normal and what is not.

Last is trust in your mechanic. Having blind trust is bad, but if you dont trust him, then look for another mechanic.

Salim
Old 07-05-16, 08:10 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree with what Salim said. To go one step further, most motor mounts can be replaced with basic hand tools. DIY can save you a lot of money and help you learn about your truck.