RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Question about door locks

Old 06-08-16, 07:34 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Question about door locks

When I use the key fob to unlock the doors, it works fine. I leave the drivers door open and In about 1 minute I can hear what sounds like the locks re-locking. At first, I thought it might be a bad door switch that is confusing the computer but when I looked at the door, i see no door switches anywhere. How does the RX300 know if the door is opened or closed? I know many cars will relock the doors if you dont open the door within a given time. But my door is open. It should recognize that.

Any ideas?
Old 06-08-16, 08:13 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

All the sensor and the lock motor are part of the door lock assembly (actuator) which is in the door jamb.

Salim
Old 06-09-16, 06:10 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the doors actually locking or do you just hear the sound? Also, I sent you a PM.
Old 06-12-16, 04:55 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thaeleelyr
Are the doors actually locking or do you just hear the sound? Also, I sent you a PM.
The door lock actuator will lock all the doors after a short period, even if the door is left open. Would I just replace the drivers door lock actuator? Or does this go deeper in the computer
Old 06-13-16, 07:21 AM
salimshah

I am only going by your statement .. that it RX 'locks all door' after a while. I have never timed it, but the only time it should happen is if you 'unlock' the doors and then DO NOT OPEN any door (including tail hatch), then then all doors lock them selves after a while. [This feature assures that the RX locks up when the owner accidentally hits the unlock and really meant to lock. If the intent was to unlock then within the period any door would have been opened].

When a door is open, and some one tries to lock .. you get a beep .. not sure it immediately unlocks.

If the key is in ignition then the remote lock is pressed, the door should unlock immediately.

If you RX behaves differently then a power cycle of the battery usually clears up things.

Hope the above helps.

Salim
Old 06-13-16, 03:10 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Exactly. It operates differently and a battery disconnect did not help. So my question is, does the drivers door actuator have a sensor in it that should recognize the door is open or closed? Because my rx does not know the door has been opened.
Old 06-13-16, 04:00 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
Exactly. It operates differently and a battery disconnect did not help. So my question is, does the drivers door actuator have a sensor in it that should recognize the door is open or closed? Because my rx does not know the door has been opened.
Yes. Set wires deal with lock and the another deals with the door ajar/closed. The U hook in the pillar moves mechanism to sense door ajar or closed.

Could be problem with the wiring too. Lexus has superior sheathing for wires [unlike BMW of the same years which had the trunk wire problems], but each time the door opens or closes the wires rub.

Salim
Old 06-13-16, 05:26 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Yes. Set wires deal with lock and the another deals with the door ajar/closed. The U hook in the pillar moves mechanism to sense door ajar or closed.

Could be problem with the wiring too. Lexus has superior sheathing for wires [unlike BMW of the same years which had the trunk wire problems], but each time the door opens or closes the wires rub.

Salim

I'm not sure I understand. Does the anchor bolt on the door frame move?

Okay I checked and the U bolt is not moveable. It must be in the lock mechanism. Is the left front lock mechanism the same on a 2002 as the 1999? I have a local source parting out his rx.

Is there a way to disable the self-locking feature? I don't have an owners manual handy.

Here is video of it:

Last edited by Drcoffee; 06-13-16 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 07:06 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Is there any other indication that the car thinks the door is still closed when it is open, such as the interior courtesy lights not coming on?
Old 06-13-16, 07:31 PM
salimshah

Honda many years ago had a car icon with each door in the dash that would tell you which door is open ,,, apparently due to copyrights Toyota could not have it.

If you try to drive and as vehicle picks up speed ... 2mph? you will hear a soft ding.

Salim
Old 06-13-16, 07:35 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexmus
Is there any other indication that the car thinks the door is still closed when it is open, such as the interior courtesy lights not coming on?
Lights are on with the door open. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 06-13-16, 07:41 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Honda many years ago had a car icon with each door in the dash that would tell you which door is open ,,, apparently due to copyrights Toyota could not have it.

If you try to drive and as vehicle picks up speed ... 2mph? you will hear a soft ding.

Salim
My other toyota will relock all doors if you dont open the drivers door. But even then, all the doors would need to be closed. Im working off the premise the drivers door is the master for keyless entry.
Old 06-13-16, 07:46 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
I'm not sure I understand. Does the anchor bolt on the door frame move?

Okay I checked and the U bolt is not moveable. It must be in the lock mechanism. Is the left front lock mechanism the same on a 2002 as the 1999? I have a local source parting out his rx.

Is there a way to disable the self-locking feature? I don't have an owners manual handy.

Here is video of it:
Self locking rx300 - YouTube
Early RX had Cbest settings [which were set by dealer].

Thats about all I can help. If you have a storage scope and service manual you can check if the right pulses at=re being generated from the rf receiver.

Salim