RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Evaporator started Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 03:51 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heater Core started Leaks

2000 Lexus RX 300 started Evaporator Core leaks water at the bottom pipe. Is there any short cut to fix this problem or I have to go longer way? Did any member has any DIY to replace this? I searched our forum no DIY found. Here is my videos where it leaks when I started the AC.

Last edited by gazi001; 06-09-16 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-08-16, 07:20 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

To me it looks clear so its most likely condensate from the AC. There is a drain on the firewall behind the engine. Its a rubber elbow where condensate can drain out. Crawl underneath and pull it off, use a screwdriver and carefully check to see what might be blocking the drain. Once water starts coming out again, put the rubber elbow back in place.
Old 06-08-16, 09:08 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
To me it looks clear so its most likely condensate from the AC. There is a drain on the firewall behind the engine. Its a rubber elbow where condensate can drain out. Crawl underneath and pull it off, use a screwdriver and carefully check to see what might be blocking the drain. Once water starts coming out again, put the rubber elbow back in place.
I checked that black plastic elbow is not clogged. Thanks.
Old 06-16-16, 07:02 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I was surprised there was no members has any kind of ideas or DIY experiences about heater or evaporator core removal of RX 300. That's fine I will do that for future references. I tried to clean the evaporator drain hose by dust off spray it works few days. The water started dripping by the drain when I started the AC. But than it stopped only air is coming out. I tried to clean the ev core with Toyota AC freshener kit for good smell. But now I smell still sweet kind of air in the cabin. I guess may be the heater core is spraying leaks. Finally I decided to replace ev, heater core, expansion valve from the cabin. I ordered Denso evaporator, Spectra heater core, O rings from the Rockauto and Denso expansion valve from Amazon. I have to remove the whole dash unit, reinforcement bar from the cabin to do that crazy job. It will hell lot of a job. I planed to make few part of this movie. Like Removal of wiper arms, motors, cowls to catch the water lines and AC lines. In the cabin will be right side 1. Glove box, CD changer, Passenger Airbag, Blower motor assembly etc. 2. Middle Radio, Shifter unit, 3. Left side Instrument cluster, fuse box, drop down the steering wheel etc. 4. Remove the dash unit, 5. Reinforcement Bar, 6. Finally Evaporator unit complete. Here is some pictures of removing dash parts. I need time to this job.
Attached Thumbnails Evaporator started Leaks-image.jpeg  
Old 06-16-16, 07:03 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Here is more pictures.
Old 06-16-16, 07:04 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

More picture is coming later.
Old 06-22-16, 09:28 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I started my project by following steps:
Evaporator and heater core, expansion valve Removal Proceedings (Inside the Car) in Following Steps: ( FIRST DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF BATTERY AND WAIT 15 MIN TO START YOUR PROJECT) MAKE SURE YOU BLOCKED ALL 4 TIRES BY BRICKS OR RUBBER BUMPS NOT TO MOVE THE CAR.

TOOLS NEEDED: 8, 10, 12, 14 MM SOCKETS, LOTS OF EXTENSIONS, DIFFERENT SIZES SCREW DRIVERS, 4 MM ALLEN SOCKET FOR EXPANSION VALVE,VISE GRIP, NOSE PLIERS, RACHETS DIFFERENT SIZES,BLUE TAPE OR LABEL , MARKERS, ETC.
PARTS NEEDED:
MUST BE USE OEM LEXUS PARTS OR DENSO MINIMUM. I FINALY USE LEXUS HEATER CORE PARTS NO. 87107-48020 PAID $442.00, ( BEFORE I USED SPECTRA HEATER CORE PARTS NO. 93041 $ 45.00 AND I DID THE PRESSURE TEST, IT WAS GOOD. AS SOON AS I INSTALLED THE HEATER CORE AND START THE CAR RIGHTWAY IT STARTED LEAKS. SO I HAVE TO DO THIS JOB AGAIN. DO NOT BUY AFTER MARKET PARTS AT LEAST FOR THIS KIND OF JOB.) DENSO EVAPORATOR CORE PARTS NO. 476-0039 PAID $195.00 AND DENSO EXPANSION VALVE PARTS NO. 475-0508 PAID $ 30.69 AND INSULATION FROM HOME DEPOT FOR EXPANSION VALVE.
TIME & SKILLS:
YOU NEED AT LEAST 10-12 HOURS TO COMPLETE THIS JOB. SKILLL LEVEL 7 OR 8 IS OK. BEFORE YOU DO THIS JOB YOU NEED TO RECYCLE THE FREON FROM THE SYSTEM. YOU COULD PAY THE SHOP AROUND $60 DOLLAR OR SO TO RECOVER YOUR FREON AND PUT IT BACK AGAIN AFTER YOU FINNISH THE JOB.

1. Remove Radio and components. Marks labels and notes for harnesses connections to plugs etc.
2. Glove box need to remove 2 nuts 10 mm and 2 screws and CD Changer removal ( 2 nuts 12 mm left side and 2 nuts 12mm right side) make sure marked the plugs for cd changer with labels
3. Steering Column cover removal 2 screws upper R/L & 1 screws next to driver side, Unplug harnesses, wiring connections to Steering column, Ignition switch, airbags etc. REMOVE 4 bolts (14 MM) holding the Wheel Steering Column and drop down. Unplug connectors and mark with labels
4. Instrument cluster removal. Make sure all plugs, connectors should be marked with labels Important. See picture. You need to remove ignition switch and mirror switch trims to be removed.
5. R/L side pillars removal, You could use body trim tool or flat screw driver to remove this pillars which are holding by clips. Important Unplug Passenger side airbag connector from the plug. Remove passenger airbag by removing two 12 mm bolts and two 10 mm nuts. See picture.
6. Remove Shift Control unit by unbolting 4 nuts 12 mm, 3 harnesses plugs, and shifter cable from the floor to the unit. Look pictures.
7. Remove left side fuse box holder from the iron bar, disconnect plugs and connectors’ and marked with labels see pictures
8. Remove the upper dash holder bolts 10mm lower left and right side and one 10 mm nuts by the odometer middle lower side. See new picture. Unplug 3 harnesses by lower right side under glove box make the dash free for removal. Now Right side harnesses plugs by fuse box are free, radio plugs are unplugged. Remove the air circulation servo plug and one plug upper left side of blower motor control module unit. See picture. Now you wiggle the dash and lift up and pull out from the cabin.
9. Remove nuts and bolts 12 mm mostly all and three 10 mm nuts from the iron bar. You need to loose the iron braces of left and right side of the EV System by unbolting lower left and right side two 12mm bolts each side. Remove the Reinforcement bar now. see picture.
10. Remove the blower motor assembly by removing two 10 mm nut/bolt upper R/L side, one nut 10mm at the lower right side, two bolts 10 mm at the lower left side. Unplugs the blower motors connectors from the wire. Remove the harness bracket at the right side. Remove the white air duct from evaporator and blower motor assembly by unscrewing 2 screws.
11. Now go to the front engine. Remove the windshield wiper arms & motor, weather strip, engine cowl by removing 10 mm nuts and others. See my other posts about this (in knock sensor removal DIY.).
12. Now locate the ac suction and vacuum hose by upper side of the brake booster. Remove one 10 mm bolt and slide the cover towards passenger side. Now go behind the heater core hoses and remove both black water hoses clamps by using vise grip or nose pliers. Seals of this hoses are very tight. So you have to move right and left slowly and pull out. Careful it has antifreeze and heater core also. Go back to the cabin.
12. Now you have room to remove the EVAPORATOR CORE assembly by unbolting one nut and bolt 10 mm each at the upper right and left side. There is one bolt 12 mm at the lower left side of the EV system need to remove. One nut 10 mm at the lower right side need to remove. Remove the black air duct also. Remove the black drain hose.There is two floor air duct L/R side of the EV system need to remove it. Now remove the black heater duct by unclipping claws. At the left side you need to cut the black insulation from the expansion valve. There is two 4 mm Allen bolts holding the ac expansion valve with the suction and vacuum hoses. Remove the bolts. Now the ev. System is free to pull out from the cabin. After you remove the ev. system take pictures of the servo motors for reassembly. Remove servo motors, Remove 7 screws of evaporator core covers and two 4 mm allen bolts of ev core. Remove the ev. Core and reinstall it with new O rings and add pag oil. Remove the brackets (2) of the heater core from the system by unscrewing 2 screws and slide out the core. Reinstall the mode and air mix servo motors. Install new heater core and attach both bracket with bushings. Reinstall the Evaporator system by aligning the heater core pipe and ac expansion valve with new o rings. All o rings must be wet with pag oil. Tightened up all bolts and nuts. Do the reverse to complete the job. Good luck. If you need any help feel free to PM me.
Attached Thumbnails Evaporator started Leaks-dash1.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-dash2.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-dash3.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-dash4.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-dash5.jpg  

Evaporator started Leaks-ignition.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-img_0392.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-evaporator-1.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-img_0393.jpg  

Last edited by gazi001; 07-01-16 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-22-16, 09:43 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Picture1: Driver side lower trims cover plastic and Iron shield removed . Careful with iron shield very sharp use cloth gloves. Disconnect engine hood open cable, DLc & OBD2 plugs from the lower trim.
Picture 2: The fuse box need to unbolt nuts marked by red circle. Plugs need to unplug marked by Red arrow.
Picture 3: Blue arrow plugs need to unplug for steering column to be down.
Picture 4: Radio removed by taking out 4 nuts 10 mm circle green.
Picture 5. Remove the black bezel by unscrews 2 upper R/L side of the odometer. 3 Screws and 3 harnesses plugs need to removed.
Picture 6: Odometer removed. You can see Green Arrow where dash harnesses are and should be stay there.
Picture 7: Gear snifter assembly removed by lower and upper 4 nuts, 3 harnesses ( 2 upper R/L side and 1 lower right side).
Attached Thumbnails Evaporator started Leaks-1.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-2.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-3.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-4.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-5.jpg  

Evaporator started Leaks-6.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-7.jpg  

Last edited by gazi001; 06-22-16 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 10:10 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Picture 8: Remove Gear Snifter cable from the unit by using flat screw driver red arrow. Green circle nut of shifter gear need to remove.
Picture 9: After you remove the CD changer remove 2 nuts and 2 bolts of passenger airbag, disconnect harnesses. Red arrow airbag plug.
Picture 10: Red arrow 2 nuts 10 mm bracket for ECU need to remove. Green arrow plugs need to unplug before Dash removal. Same thing driver side harnesses plugs need to unplugs and marked with labels.
Picture 11: Bothe side pillars L/R need to pry out and right side AM/FM antenna cable need to disconnect.
Picture 12: Harnesses, plugs removed. Red arrow.
Picture 13: Now wiggle and remove the dash. After you remove the dash, Blower motor assembly by removing 4 nuts 2 bottom by ac drain hose upper 1 and another by air duct and remove harness .Now you could access the ECU bracket at the passenger side and remove the nuts and black plastic cover. Remove 14 mm bolts red arrow, 10 mm bolts. Disconnect JB Box green arrow, Spring of brake pedal yellow arrow need to remove from the Reinforcement bar.
Attached Thumbnails Evaporator started Leaks-8.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-9.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-10.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-11.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-12.jpg  

Evaporator started Leaks-13.jpg  
Old 06-22-16, 10:32 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Picture 14: Red arrow 14 mm nuts, light sky blue arrow 10 mm nuts need remove.
Picture 15: ECU bracket arrow red.
Picture 16: 14 mm nuts (4) right/left side of brace 1 & 2 (Only showing right side brace) need to removed.
Picture 17: Blower motor assembly removed. Red arrow blower motor control module, yellow arrow ECU. Now you could remove the reinforcement bar.
Picture 19: Reinforcement bar removed. Yellow arrow black air duct removed. Red arrow steering column down.
Picture 20: Wiper arms, motor, engine cowl removed. yellow arrow water hose to heater core removed. Red arrow AC suction and vacuum hoses, 10 mm nut removed. Push the cover towards passenger side for unlock the expansion valve hoses green arrow.
Picture 21: Expansion valve insulated Red Arrow.
Picture 22: Red arrow expansion valve, Yellow arrows Allen key bolts need to unbolt.
Picture 23: Black air duct need to remove by unlock clips by red arrows.
I will follow up my project when I will finish it tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Evaporator started Leaks-14.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-15.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-16.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-18.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-19.jpg  

Evaporator started Leaks-20.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-21.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-22.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-23.jpg  
Old 06-24-16, 08:37 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for sharing, but this task is not a simple DIY that anyone would dare to tackle.
Old 06-25-16, 08:38 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Great job and thank you for sharing.

Please add to this thread, the number of hours it took you and the expected skill level. The skill level is hard to determine but a 1 is changing the wheels and 10 is to perform engine overhaul.

Also please add a link in the DIY thread to this thread.

Salim
Old 06-25-16, 01:14 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Salim. I will do it after this weekend I will upload more pics and details of the conclusion.
Old 07-01-16, 01:36 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

More pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Evaporator started Leaks-important.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-img_0396.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-odometer.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-passenger-airbag.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-reinforcement-bar-1.jpg  

Evaporator started Leaks-reinforcement-bar-2.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-reinforcement-3.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-reinforcement-4.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-reinforcement-5.jpg   Evaporator started Leaks-servo-2.jpg  

Old 07-01-16, 01:39 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the location airbag module and shifter cable location for members.
Attached Thumbnails Evaporator started Leaks-shifter-cable-location.jpg  

Quick Reply: Evaporator started Leaks