RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX300 wont start, looking for some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-16, 06:42 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Check the wires that go to the O2 sensors and MAF. It sounds like one of the sensors has shorted and the ecm cant confirm something to allow spark. Could be crank position sensor.

Does it smell like gas while you are cranking it? Might be a bad relay to the fuel injection or ignition system. Swap a relay and see if it helps. No codes is odd.
Old 05-29-16, 06:47 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
If you are due for a timing belt change, I would pull the cover and check the timing marks. A car can start with the marks off by a tooth but if somehow it jumped multiple teeth ..it will not start.

Also check fuse 52 if it is blown. It is your ignition system.
Thanks for your help, Is there an easy way to get the cover off ? It looks like a fairly complex job..

I assume your talking about the fuse labeled a IGN that is a 7.5A fuse (top left under the coin holder), I checked that one, it's not blown.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 05-29-16 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-29-16, 06:53 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
Check the wires that go to the O2 sensors and MAF. It sounds like one of the sensors has shorted and the ecm cant confirm something to allow spark. Could be crank position sensor.

Does it smell like gas while you are cranking it? Might be a bad relay to the fuel injection or ignition system. Swap a relay and see if it helps. No codes is odd.
I cleaned the throttle body today, and in that process, I cleaned the MAF (spray that I have used on my LS with 0 problems). I did check all the connections before I put it back together.

I looked into the crank position sensor and due to no code coming up, I kind of ruled it out.

When I crank it, If I depress the petal, I do get a smell of gas under the hood. What relay do you speak of ? Can I swap it on my LS to see if that is a problem ?

With no code poping up, where would be the best place to start ?
Old 05-29-16, 06:56 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Check the Idle air control valve. Have you tried to clean it?
Old 05-29-16, 07:00 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Its sounds like you are getting fuel if you smell unburned gas.

I wonder of the timing belt broke or skipped a few teeth. That bang could have been a valve making contact with the piston. You should try to remove some bolts from the TB cover and check the status of the timing. I

Last edited by Drcoffee; 05-29-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-29-16, 07:07 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Default Timing belt

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/l...00-timing-belt
Old 05-29-16, 07:15 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
Check the Idle air control valve. Have you tried to clean it?
How do I clean it ? Do you think that is what is the problem ?

Never mind: I found some videos on line and I did that when I was doing the throttle body..

Last edited by DavidinCT; 05-29-16 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-29-16, 08:00 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Thanks for your help, Is there an easy way to get the cover off ? It looks like a fairly complex job..

I assume your talking about the fuse labeled a IGN that is a 7.5A fuse (top left under the coin holder), I checked that one, it's not blown.
There are a handful of things on the passenger side area to remove so you have access to some of the timing cover fasteners. It appears daunting but not that bad if you take pics along the way. Search on youtube for videos. Keywords: rx300 timing belt.
Old 05-30-16, 12:10 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

I think we have already eliminated IACV by keeping the foot on the gas pedal.

Valve to head collision is very unlikely ... yes RX has interference engine, but that is due to VVTi at work and during start, it is very unlikely to happen. Few RX posts exists where the timing belt broke with no piston/valve damage at cruising speed.

My best guess is that an injector is hanging open and there is too much fuel. You can eliminate that by removing all plugs and see if any is soaking wet.

Once you take the plugs out, you can lay any of the even ones (front) on the block and verify the spark is present. You can jury rig #1 plug and use a timing gun to verify timing.

Dave .. was anything done recently to the RX? Were all the ground wires connected back?

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-30-16 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-30-16, 08:09 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
I think we have already eliminated IACV by keeping the foot on the gas pedal.

Valve to head collision is very unlikely ... yes RX has interference engine, but that is due to VVTi at work and during start, it is very unlikely to happen. Few RX posts exists where the timing belt broke with no piston/valve damage at causing speed.

My best guess is that an injector is hanging open and there is too much fuel. You can eliminate that by removing all plugs and see if any is soaking wet.

Once you take the plugs out, you can lay any of the even ones (front) on the block and verify the spark is present. You can jury rig #1 plug and use a timing gun to verify timing.

Dave .. was anything done recently to the RX? Were all the ground wires connected back?

Salim
No, nothing was done to this car in a little while. Last thing was done was a battery about 3-4 months ago, and a oil change about 2 months ago. Car has been running fine from then.
Old 05-30-16, 12:02 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

So, my wife got back and I was going to check for spark. On Attempting to start it, a large wining noise is coming from the belt area. I guess this could be the timing belt. I didn't want to take a chance of damaging anything else.

I think it's time and out of my hands now, we'll get it towed sometime this week....sigh..
Old 05-30-16, 02:36 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Not that it matters now, when if ever was the t-belt replaced?

Give a serious thought to replacing the idlers, tensioner, tensioner roller on every tb service and water pump, main seal and cam seals on every other. The list I mentioned in every other must be examined at each.

If the belt has broken then have ask the mechanic for a compression test and a leak down test before you go and spend on the major TB service. I guess the mechanic will have to hang the new belt and set timing to do the compression and leak down tests, so there will be added labor. Discuss with him.

If it is TB then kudos to hyper for diagnosing it was back then.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-30-16 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-30-16, 09:26 PM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you said, squeak sound and then rubber smell, I thought timing belt. I also thought about the key, watched my neighbors car make a huge bang after not starting because he was only using part of his key (it had broken apart) and they flooded the engine blew the IACV by accident, all because the transponder was not attached to the keyfob.
Let us know what happens!!
Old 06-04-16, 01:01 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by PrisyCrisy
When you said, squeak sound and then rubber smell, I thought timing belt. I also thought about the key, watched my neighbors car make a huge bang after not starting because he was only using part of his key (it had broken apart) and they flooded the engine blew the IACV by accident, all because the transponder was not attached to the keyfob.
Let us know what happens!!
Will do, It's over at a local repair shop, Their quick check so far they believe it's the timing belt, still waiting for a quote.

I will post back with a update after we find out what is going on with it.
Old 06-20-16, 09:12 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Follow up: It was the timing belt, after doing the timing belt and water pump, the car runs again...

$500 later we have a running car...

Quick Reply: 2000 RX300 wont start, looking for some advice.