RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Simple diagnosis - steering pulling to the right & trembling when braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 09:05 AM
oxonian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple diagnosis - steering pulling to the right & trembling when braking

Hello friends,

I have a 2002 RX 300 with about 160k miles on it.

I had the alignment done about a year ago at a location that comes recommended on here.

Over the past month I have begun to notice the following symptoms:

1) When I release my hand from the steering wheel, I notice it swerving to the right. I understand that there is a gradient in the road, but I feel the movement is more than the usual amount caused by the gradient

2) When I press the break, I have begun to experience a sort of trembling feeling, not so much on the steering wheel, but I guess around the brakes?

I bought the car in 2013, and had the brake pads changed then, but maybe they have deteriorated or something else needs to be done?

I have checked the tire pressure, that is feel, and my tires still have good tread on them.

I will really appreciate any help you can give me.

thank you so much,
Oxonian
Old 04-28-16, 09:09 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I had this same issue soon after i got my used rx; and from what the "experts" on here were saying; it ended up being the brake rotors needing to be replaced or resurfaced; and or the brake pads being replaced. While no that is not a cheap thing to get done by a shop; it will be a lot less if you can do it yourself.
Old 04-28-16, 09:56 AM
oxonian
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I will look into the brake rotors and pads.

Any suggestions on preferred brands?

thank you
Oxonian
Old 04-28-16, 12:09 PM
cotis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did this a few years ago. "trembling" was due to front rotors, I pulled them and took to O'Reilly's Auto Parts where they turned them down. Resurfacing was very minor since they weren't badly out, easily less than 1mm. Replaced front brake pads at that time, believed I used OEM. My car was 13 years old, 150k at the time. First time having to do it.

Pulling to the right is an alignment issue, assuming your tires are in good condition.
Old 05-02-16, 11:47 AM
ChaoSki
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like warped rotors! Get them resurfaced (if possible). Check what minimum recommend thickness on these cars are (I'm not sure).

and be sure to torque the bracket carrier and wheel bolts properly. Warped rotors is often cause by uneven torquing.....

While at it, check the pads and replace them if needed (they have to come off regardless).

I usually recommend Akemobo pads. Had great success with those in other cars (but not sure if available for RX)

As for pulling, alignment can get out of wack by simply hitting a huge bump. Thus I recommend lifetime alignment at Firestone.....

Is the pull sudden or constant? Constant would be alignment. Sudden would probably be suspension component worn out (usually control arm bushings) or possibly ball joint.

PS. Please note I'm new to RX and my knowledge on this particular car is low. But I've been working on all of my cars for 20+ years and am also a big car enthusiast.

Last edited by ChaoSki; 05-02-16 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-02-16, 06:15 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaoSki
Sounds like warped rotors! Get them resurfaced (if possible). Check what minimum recommend thickness on these cars are (I'm not sure).

and be sure to torque the bracket carrier and wheel bolts properly. Warped rotors is often cause by uneven torquing.....

While at it, check the pads and replace them if needed (they have to come off regardless).

I usually recommend Akemobo pads. Had great success with those in other cars (but not sure if available for RX)

As for pulling, alignment can get out of wack by simply hitting a huge bump. Thus I recommend lifetime alignment at Firestone.....

Is the pull sudden or constant? Constant would be alignment. Sudden would probably be suspension component worn out (usually control arm bushings) or possibly ball joint.

PS. Please note I'm new to RX and my knowledge on this particular car is low. But I've been working on all of my cars for 20+ years and am also a big car enthusiast.
+1 on what chaoski mentioned. As i said before; I had this exact issue just after i got my rx; and indeed it was the rotors that were warped as well as the pads needing to be replaced so both were done.
Old 05-03-16, 08:38 PM
Derrick71
Driver School Candidate

Warped rotors can cause the steering wheel to shake but they wont cause a pull. A worn or split control arm busing can cause both.

It's pretty easy to test. If you lift the front of the car you can use a pry bar to apply force to the bushings. If they have a lot of movement and/or appear cracked they need to be replaced. You also may get a "clunk" when coming to a stop.
Old 05-04-16, 10:41 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

A seized caliper may also cause both symptoms.
Old 05-04-16, 10:53 AM
Derrick71
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
A seized caliper may also cause both symptoms.
True. A caliper stuck hard enough to steer the car would generate a lot of heat and burning brake smell though.

Easy enough to check. jack up the front of the car, put it in neutral and spin each wheel. A stuck caliper will be obvious. He could also drive for about a mile then feel the heat coming off the rotors. One would be radiating a lot more heat than the other one. DON'T TOUCH THE ROTOR.