RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

so how to check transmission fluid level...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 02:20 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so how to check transmission fluid level...?

it sounds like most people are confused and for some reason it's hard to find information on google. that or, people follow directions but the results just don't make sense. for instance...

i checked mine cold (no engine running) and it was well over the hot mark. then i let the engine run for a few minutes on idle and when i checked the fluid on the dipstick was dry in between marks and seemed to jump from low to high uh:

i am doing a drain/fill and did measure what came out, but in my 5 quart container it reads well past the 4 qt mark and that doesn't count how much i spilled, so i'm thinking 4.5 - 5 quarts came out. in the DIY it was said there would be 4.1 in the pan, so for that reason i don't want to just pour a higher amount back in without figuring out how to check the level first.

anyone know how to do this properly (and is this vehicle specific)?

appreciate your responses!
Old 04-08-16, 06:01 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Drive the car for 10-15 minutes to make sure it's nice and warm. Then park it on a level surface, and leave the car running. Pull the dipstick, and wipe it. Insert dipstick again, and then remove it. Read the level for the HOT section. Be sure to check both sides of the dipstick, often times one side will read cleaner than the rest. May take a few tries of inserting/removing the dipstick to get a clean reading.
Old 04-08-16, 06:24 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Drive the car for 10-15 minutes to make sure it's nice and warm. Then park it on a level surface, and leave the car running. Pull the dipstick, and wipe it. Insert dipstick again, and then remove it. Read the level for the HOT section. Be sure to check both sides of the dipstick, often times one side will read cleaner than the rest. May take a few tries of inserting/removing the dipstick to get a clean reading.
+1

Though not specific to Lexus, i've read on other forums to have someone lock the parking brake, step on the brake and shift the transmission into reverse while someone checks the ATF fluid level. Do not pick Drive..for safety purposes. This engages the transmission pump to circulate the ATF which would otherwise be drained at the bottom of the pan.
Old 04-08-16, 06:25 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Run of 15 min --> best if driven in stop and go traffic where the transmission fluid get heated up. If you let the engine idle, it just warms up the engine oil. Heat up of transmission fluid happens when the fluid is acting like a clutch. I was amazed at the expansion in volume of the fluid due to heat.

In pursuit of perfection one does not need to hit the max perfectly. It needs to be between the max and min. [.1 qt is only important if you are at the min, being short at the max is ok]

Salim
Old 04-14-16, 02:55 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

checked the fluid level after driving for 10 min, and it was still very unclear what the level was. it seems to jump or stay on the sides of the dipstick instead of on the entire surface where i would be able to clearly see what the level is like on the engine dipstick. any advice? if i can't check it when it's cold why is there a cold mark?

if i'm, say, half a quart short or over the correct level of fluid, how detrimental is this and how long would it take before damage occurs? i don't want to keep doing test drives or driving the car with the incorrect amount if i'm going to damage the transmission.
Old 04-14-16, 02:57 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
if both sides are different how do you know which one to use?
Old 04-14-16, 03:38 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
if both sides are different how do you know which one to use?
The lower one is correct.
Old 04-14-16, 04:33 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carguy07
The lower one is correct.
i think my level may be low but i already drained 4.5-5 quarts and added 4.5 quarts. how much are you guys draining/replinishing on a drain and fill?
Old 04-14-16, 04:49 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
i think my level may be low but i already drained 4.5-5 quarts and added 4.5 quarts. how much are you guys draining/replinishing on a drain and fill?
Mine is a 2001 AWD, pull both plugs, put back about 4 1/4 quarts. Pretty much don't even need to check it after that.
Old 04-14-16, 11:13 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carguy07
Mine is a 2001 AWD, pull both plugs, put back about 4 1/4 quarts. Pretty much don't even need to check it after that.
i have 2WD does it make a difference
Old 04-17-16, 07:14 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Anyone know how much fluid comes out with a full drain on fwd? It seems like my level might be low but I've already put back almost 4.7 qts. If I put back 5, it will be nearly 1 qt over what was done in the DIY.
Old 04-17-16, 08:12 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Just call Lexus parts and ask how many quarts do they record for drain and fill. You can reverify by talking to service.

Salim
Old 04-17-16, 08:16 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

The drain and fill capacities are listed in your owner's manual. You clearly over filled your fwd because the awd needs 4.1 quarts. I just happen to know since I serviced mine last month.

If you don't have a manual, download one for your year model at mylexus.com.
Old 04-17-16, 08:27 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Just call Lexus parts and ask how many quarts do they record for drain and fill. You can reverify by talking to service.

Salim
Originally Posted by fastnoypi
The drain and fill capacities are listed in your owner's manual. You clearly over filled your fwd because the awd needs 4.1 quarts. I just happen to know since I serviced mine last month.

If you don't have a manual, download one for your year model at mylexus.com.
yes i believe they refill ~4 qts. i also dropped my pan though and by the time i put back the pan due to the bolt breaking, it was almost bone dry (several days of letting fluid drip down to where it was no longer dripping even with the pan off). the measured amount that was drained was around 4.3 qts and quite a good amount spilled out when i removed the pan. on top of that over the next couple days a lot more fluid (maybe 0.2 qts ) collected in the pan as i waited to replace the bolt. thing is after i drive the car 10 min and check it hot, it was around cold. i just added the rest of the last quart 30 min ago to make it a full 5 qts and it appears to be near the min hot line. will try driving longer tomorrow before i check it again but i just hope i'm not doing anything catastrophic.

i also noticed that before i added more fluid just now there were tiny air bubbles (like 2-4) that seem to have gone away after adding more fluid. however, ever since the drain/fill when i change gears from park to reverse and vice versa, it seems rough. it's possible it was this way before but i'm not sure. the other gears are fine, and after adding more fluid it is still rough on that P to R.

Last edited by hsmac; 04-17-16 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 10:45 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

sounds like i should be ok with the 5 qts and might need to add a little more. tunedrx estimates 1/3 qt. in filter and more in the pan after he drained 4.1 qts.

Quick Reply: so how to check transmission fluid level...?