RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Capacitor Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 06:32 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

And just after I posted that last comment I now see something that looks like corrosion in the last photo at the lower right corner, at C104, D008, D009 and D010.

The most obvious is between D008 and D009. That blueish residue is very suspicious. If you can, take a close up photo of that area, and then scrape away that material with a toothpick and blow off whatever you loosen up and take another photo afterwards.
Old 05-25-16, 08:55 PM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmus
And just after I posted that last comment I now see something that looks like corrosion in the last photo at the lower right corner, at C104, D008, D009 and D010.

The most obvious is between D008 and D009. That blueish residue is very suspicious. If you can, take a close up photo of that area, and then scrape away that material with a toothpick and blow off whatever you loosen up and take another photo afterwards.
Wow.. Okay now I see it.

Old 05-25-16, 08:58 PM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

I have some pictures still on my iPad and iPhone from when I had the ECU out of the car. I actually put it back in the car and am having the exact same issues... No change in symptoms after I put it back.
Old 05-26-16, 10:30 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Your ECU will keep behaving oddly as it continues to dry.

I would toss it.

Salim
Old 05-31-16, 04:35 PM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

As soon as I am allowed to post in the classifieds, I will be posting an ad on this vehicle.
Not selling it in this thread! I know the rules! Would love suggestions, should I part it, or sell it whole?
Old 05-31-16, 06:19 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by PrisyCrisy
As soon as I am allowed to post in the classifieds, I will be posting an ad on this vehicle.
Not selling it in this thread! I know the rules! Would love suggestions, should I part it, or sell it whole?
Let me know if you want this to be moved to your other thread.

Suggestions still are:
Take it to dealer ... let them diagnose it for a fee (costs much less than what you would loose if you sell as non-working RX).

Take a gamble and get a used ECU. Assuming all ground and power lines to the ecu are good.

Salim
Old 06-01-16, 09:27 AM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
Let me know if you want this to be moved to your other thread.

Suggestions still are:
Take it to dealer ... let them diagnose it for a fee (costs much less than what you would loose if you sell as non-working RX).

Take a gamble and get a used ECU. Assuming all ground and power lines to the ecu are good.

Salim
I was told the issue was no ground no power to ECU.

Thank you for your help... I really wish I could come up with a plan to fix this car.
Money is an issue... Not having a car is feeding the no money problem... I'm on a merry go round!
Old 06-01-16, 11:54 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by PrisyCrisy
I was told the issue was no ground no power to ECU.
I assume this diagnosis includes the possibility that you are getting power and ground to the ECU, but the ECU is dead.

Back to my suggestions ,, with VOM check voltage at all 12v pins of the ecu [you would need wiring diagram] and you can check for 0 ohms between Ground pin and body.

Once that is assured then take a chance by getting a replacement ECU.

Salim