RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Capacitor Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 08:55 PM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmus
My experience with electrolytic caps is that they swell when they go bad. Looking at the photo, I see some slight discoloration on the body of one of the caps in question, but it doesn't look like any of the three are swollen.

If there was water on the board when it was powered, you probably should see some evidence of corrosion at the leads of the parts wherever the water collected. And if the corrosion actually occurred, there should be corrosion products on the board which are deposited on the board during the corrosion process and as the water dries. I also do not see any evidence of water having been on the board near the caps based on the photos. But there is discoloration (rust colored) on the upper right corner of the board on the ground plane near the heat sink.

Can you take photos of the reverse side of the PCB? both a low magnification of the entire board and zoomed into that corner as well as the at the caps in question, and anywhere else you might see possible corrosion.
This is the other side of the board. I will have to get it in a good light in the morning to take more pictures. Will post ASAP.
Thanks!

Last edited by PrisyCrisy; 03-18-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 09:12 PM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

Salim,
I actually checked the relay and used the horn 12v just to make sure... Absolutely no difference. I could hear the relay box clicking when turning the car to the start position, but not cranking it. There was power to the box.

My check engine light has been on for awhile, because of a mechanic who replaced part of the muffler and then decided not to replace the bolts and flange near the O2 sensor (under the drivers seat). Instead he used 2 metal tie rods which caused my check engine light to remain on (an O2 sensor code) as well as the VSC light that also remained on. I was told the lights would stay on until the bolts and flange were back in and that it didn't matter, that my O2 sensor was fine. I still got 19-20 mpg.
With that said.... Not seeing the check engine light at all raised a flag for me... Which to me said, computer. So now, which part of that circuit board is bad... More digging to do in the morning!
Old 04-11-16, 02:44 PM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

So... I picked up a magnifying glass and looked over the ECM front and back, carefully cleaned off any dust and looked for any swelling capacitors or rust or corrosion... None found. So I put the ECM back in the car.
I picked up a fuse tester and started going thru the fuses... Some are not working at all. In the engine compartment the headlights high and low beams #3, #4, #18, # 19, #20 ... Nothing, no power to those fuses, pulled fuses and replaced, nothing, circuit is dead. Inside the car all but one fuse is working #40 the starter fuse, swapped it out, nothing, checked the connections, nothing.
Car still cranks great, but no start.

Still no check engine light appearing
The security system light is not activated at all.
I checked it with the main flat key, just to see if it would reprogram.... Nope, no light, nothing.

I'm out of ideas.
Old 04-11-16, 04:00 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Get hold of circuit diagram and trace.

It has to be 12v problem .. switched and or un-switched [switched -> by ignition]

Salim
Old 04-12-16, 06:28 AM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

I've got it, but it's like Chinese to me
Old 04-12-16, 06:57 AM
salimshah

hmm .. it should be wires to from each connector's name, location in each connector.

Salim
Old 04-12-16, 09:56 AM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
hmm .. it should be wires to from each connector's name, location in each connector.

Salim
I have the Haynes Manual and found the wiring diagrams and pin out's also online at
http://askatech.com/AskATechLive/Aat...ack/TA2068.pdf
I don't own a broadcasting type tool to trace the power to find the short. Oh well.
Old 04-12-16, 11:03 AM
salimshah

I would trace the open ,, like why is there no B+ (12v). If 12v is missing on the other side of the fuse then first i would attempt by replacing the fuse. If the fuse pops, then you have a short. Once you establish a short in a brach then we get into the process of debugging it.

You have to pick one end .. the battery side or the destination side. Destination side would be the ECU.

The other option is to trace by hunch. Like start where you had water penetration.

Salim
Old 04-12-16, 11:16 AM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
I would trace the open ,, like why is there no B+ (12v). If 12v is missing on the other side of the fuse then first i would attempt by replacing the fuse. If the fuse pops, then you have a short. Once you establish a short in a brach then we get into the process of debugging it.

You have to pick one end .. the battery side or the destination side. Destination side would be the ECU.

The other option is to trace by hunch. Like start where you had water penetration.

Salim
I did change out the fuses and then pulled them and tested the inside... No power. So I will check the ECU connections and see. How do I use the fuse tester at the ECU end?

I'll look it up.
Old 04-12-16, 01:44 PM
salimshah

Check voltage on each side of the fuse.

They should match!

Trace the path on the schematic of how 12v gets to ecu.

Trace the presence of 12v on the vehicle as expected by the schematic.

Salim
Old 05-25-16, 01:41 PM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexmus
My experience with electrolytic caps is that they swell when they go bad. Looking at the photo, I see some slight discoloration on the body of one of the caps in question, but it doesn't look like any of the three are swollen.

If there was water on the board when it was powered, you probably should see some evidence of corrosion at the leads of the parts wherever the water collected. And if the corrosion actually occurred, there should be corrosion products on the board which are deposited on the board during the corrosion process and as the water dries. I also do not see any evidence of water having been on the board near the caps based on the photos. But there is discoloration (rust colored) on the upper right corner of the board on the ground plane near the heat sink.

Can you take photos of the reverse side of the PCB? both a low magnification of the entire board and zoomed into that corner as well as the at the caps in question, and anywhere else you might see possible corrosion.
Here are a few pictures...

Is that rust near R226 ?

Rust/ corrosion near connections ?

Don't see rust near the ground.
Old 05-25-16, 01:54 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You are one very ambitious DIYer! Good luck! Let us know if there is anything we can do by inspecting our running vehicles in search of some clue as to why yours isn't.
Old 05-25-16, 03:50 PM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JAB
You are one very ambitious DIYer! Good luck! Let us know if there is anything we can do by inspecting our running vehicles in search of some clue as to why yours isn't.
Thank you!! I'm still a timid DIYer... more of a "tinker"... But a very determined tinker who is always looking to figure things out! I know the owner of Rosenthal in Fairfax and he was kind enough to put me in touch with his Lexus master mechanic, we have only spoken over the phone, but he cheered me on and told me to not be afraid of the car, computer, etc... So I kept learning... Research, reading, manuals, looking and learning... He said he was impressed with my ability to diagnose and learn... Especially since I have NO training what-so-ever. I've never even changed the oil in a car... But you can bet that I will now!
So thank you... It means a lot.... NOW.... IF I COULD ONLY FIGURE THIS OUT! Too bad I'm not living in an episode of I dream of Jeanie!!! Lol. POOF!
Well... I can dream!! Hahhaaa

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 05-25-16, 05:14 PM
salimshah

I would suggest that you look for a replacement ECU. Make sure you get atleast one master key.

Salim.
Old 05-25-16, 06:23 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Prizy,

That brown material looks like residual flux residue that was left on the solder after the board was cleaned.

I don't see any evidence of corrosion in those close-ups.

Lexmus