RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Center Display is out, along with master window switch, radio, and AC

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 10:36 PM
BenjaminND
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Center Display is out, along with master window switch, radio, and AC

Hello everyone. I searched through the forums and did find some similar cases but most were inconclusive as to a solution. I have a 2001 RX300

About a week ago my MPG went out on the display. Next day the A/C controls went out. Next day the master window switch went out (driver side switch can raise/lower driver door but not 3 passengers, and each individual passenger switch can raise/lower their own windows) and then the next day the radio display went out, but I can still push the radio on/off, but it is very very quiet and only playing out of 1 sub woofer, only bass, no lyrics, and I can't change the station. Now the entire display is out, I cannot control the AC or the radio stations or see the clock, and the window control isn't working. My engine temperature gauge isn't working now either.

Most of the posts I saw were to change the battery, which I did 2 days ago, but nothing miraculous happened. Many people recommended to check fuses but I saw many similar posts where people had checked fuses and that wasn't the issue.

I don't know anything about cars, but I went to the dealership and they want to charge me 3300 to replace the center display, amplifier, and master window control switch, so I am eager to hear other options.

I hope someone can help me..
Thanks,
Ben

Last edited by BenjaminND; 03-16-16 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 11:34 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Welcome to CL.

There are some common problems listed below:

a) weak battery .. You should have the battery tested under load ... a free service offered by auto-parts-shops (any place that sells batteries).

b) Fuse(s). Please verify that your fuses are good (use a meter to verify. Which fuse(s), check your owners manual.

c) Software gremlins, Disconnect the battery for about 20 mins.

It seems you have partially done some, and had the vehicle examined by Lexus.

Although Lexus tech could have made a mistake, but we have to take his diagnosis seriously.

You can search through salvage yards for replacement,

Salim
Old 07-19-16, 02:30 PM
Chasreisen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar problem: I got in my 2001 RX300 and turned the key. The fan was on for a second,and then it wasn't. I have no radio, A/c or heat and no display.
All fuses and relays in the engine box are ok. Fuses in the driver's seat area are ok. A radio guy pulled it open and said both the radio and Amp were not working, even with external power. THey hooked up another radio to the amp and it didn't work. I disconnected the battery for an hour.
I don't want to go to the Lexus dealer$$$ and don't care about display or radio...but I need the A/c, defrost etc. Any ideas? Please post or email me
Charlie
Old 07-19-16, 04:58 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasreisen
Similar problem: I got in my 2001 RX300 and turned the key. The fan was on for a second,and then it wasn't. I have no radio, A/c or heat and no display.
All fuses and relays in the engine box are ok. Fuses in the driver's seat area are ok. A radio guy pulled it open and said both the radio and Amp were not working, even with external power. THey hooked up another radio to the amp and it didn't work. I disconnected the battery for an hour.
I don't want to go to the Lexus dealer$$$ and don't care about display or radio...but I need the A/c, defrost etc. Any ideas? Please post or email me
Charlie
Welcome to CL.

Was any work done to RX? Ground wire left disconnected? How did you check the fuse(s)?

On a realistic note, finding a solution over the net [beyond popped fuse] is very unlikely. Regrettably you will have to pay some one or get a schematic diagram and trace.

Salim
Old 07-19-16, 06:23 PM
PrisyCrisy
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a bunch of docs on troubleshooting if you want them send me a PM with your email and I can email them to you. I don't think I can attach them here.
Old 07-19-16, 07:17 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

You could look on craigslist for a dismanlter who is parting out a rx300 and buy a use center console.

All too often, electrical gremlins are caused by a bad ground somewhere on the vehicle. Start with your battery ground cable. If its corroded, bypass it with a jumper cable and see if anything changes. I had a minivan once that would not start and acted as if the battery was dead. Turned out it was the black battery wire. I replaced it and the engine fired right up. Everything in our cars these days are run by electronics. Without clean steady power, you can get some strange issues.