RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

genuine or fake toyota spark plugs?

Old 03-12-16, 07:26 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default genuine or fake toyota spark plugs?

hey guys, i just got some denso sk20r11 iridiums from ebay and want to make sure that they're real. after i bought them i realized i made a huge mistake due to the risk they were counterfeit and time i would spend discerning their authenticity. however, i also did not expect the seller to accept my offer which was $25 for set of 6. the buy it now price is $30 which is already much lower than average and he has a good reputation (although many sellers with good reputations do sell fake items or use brand name trademarks). anyway i don't want to trash good parts and this would be a good learning experience regardless so hopefully someone can offer some input. i'll also try contacting denso and if anyone has a direct link or email i would appreciate.

these came in 6 individual red toyota parts boxes and from what i can tell from my research seem legitimate. the print does not scratch off and everything looks high quality. however, the washer does move a bit until it hits the thread, and is not firmly in place( i don't know what a genuine one is supposed to look like). also by the code engraved "kr" seems to indicate these were made in 2011 which is strange.

Last edited by hsmac; 03-12-16 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 07:36 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds suspect. Ask your local toyota/lexus parts department if OEM plugs come in individual toyota boxes
Old 03-12-16, 07:40 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Sounds suspect. Ask your local toyota/lexus parts department if OEM plugs come in individual toyota boxes
Pretty sure they do just like other toyota genuine parts boxes. Whether or not they're genuine is a different question.

Last edited by hsmac; 03-12-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 07:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

SK20R11 is the Denso part number. If those are fakes they are masterfully done! They look identical to ones I've installed, they always come each in their own box.
Old 03-12-16, 08:08 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts
Default genuine or fake toyota spark plugs?

Originally Posted by hsmac
Pretty sure they do just like other toyota genuine parts boxes. Whether or not they're genuine is a different question.
Good to know. I've never ordered them through the dealer counter because of the price. They look really good if they are fake. The vendor probably got in on a huge bulk wholesale deal. You can always pull one of your original front plugs and compare the microwelds, font, etc..

Last edited by fastnoypi; 03-12-16 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 09:27 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Good to know. I've never ordered them through the dealer counter because of the price. They look really good if they are fake. The vendor probably got in on a huge bulk wholesale deal. You can always pull one of your original front plugs and compare the microwelds, font, etc..
the original ones aren't sk iridiums are they? if they aren't identical i wouldn't be able to compare. they're probably real and i agree they look well made but i just want to make sure because i don't want reinstall them and of course potentially damage my car. there also isn't mention of warranty, but i assume people who order car parts are usually enthusiasts who can spot a fake, and he has good feedback. i really was expecting at least a counteroffer from the seller. if anyone wants to buy them he still has more. maybe he would even accept a $20 bid.

Last edited by hsmac; 03-12-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 09:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I bet it would cost more to make a perfect fake like that then to just buy them from Toyota. I think you are uber paranoid but if you want to be 101% sure buy a single plug from the dealer and compare.
Old 03-12-16, 10:05 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I bet it would cost more to make a perfect fake like that then to just buy them from Toyota. I think you are uber paranoid but if you want to be 101% sure buy a single plug from the dealer and compare.
i was thinking the same thing but i have nothing to compare it to so i couldn't know if it were fake or not. most people can't tell which one is fake if a real and genuine even if they were side by side. i wouldn't say i'm paranoid lol... just a couple weeks ago something i bought was supposed to be brand name and turned out to be unmarked generic junk, and have received counterfeit goods on several occasions. at least fake sunglasses wouldn't result in expensive damage and hours of wasted labor. i'm just starting to learn about cars and do vehicle maintenance so i try to be extra cautious. small mishaps can end up costing hundreds or thousands of $$ when it comes to any kind of repair work and i learned that the hard way. i think they're probably legitimate it's just one of those better safe than sorry situations imo. thanks for your feedback though it does increase my confidence in the plugs.

Last edited by hsmac; 03-12-16 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 10:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

But those counterfeit items were instantly recognizable as such right? The seller you got these from how many transactions have they done and how many did they sell of what you bought? Almost always if they have many transactions and especially if they sell a lot of one thing they can be trusted.

If you are still unsure then buy from an online or local dealer, peace of mind does have a cost.
Old 03-12-16, 10:34 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

But those counterfeit items were instantly recognizable as such right? The seller you got these from how many transactions have they done and how many did they sell of what you bought? Almost always if they have many transactions and especially if they sell a lot of one thing they can be trusted.

If you are still unsure then buy from an online or local dealer, peace of mind does have a cost.
actually no, and there are always different grades for counterfeit goods. like i said before, even fake spark plugs are hard to distinguish unless they're really poor replications. people post pictures and ask the same questions and only people with experience will know. sometimes only the manufacturer knows and i think there is a team that does respond to counterfeit inquiries. i don't want to get into a debate with you -- was hoping someone might know and i'd get a quick answer or shoot denso a message and have them respond with a simple yes or no. if i can prevent engine damage it will be worth it to me.

seems like seller has limited quantity.

Last edited by hsmac; 03-12-16 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 01:13 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

See if this helps: http://www.globaldenso.com/en/produc...005/09_2a.html

The threads don't make me feel great about yours, but who knows?

Last edited by carguy07; 03-13-16 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-13-16, 01:26 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Old 03-13-16, 01:43 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carguy07
See if this helps: http://www.globaldenso.com/en/produc...005/09_2a.html

The threads don't make me feel great about yours, but who knows?
thanks. i did come across the article and video on google. without it being the same exact model it would only be speculation. i messaged denso asking where i could send some pictures.
Old 03-13-16, 01:44 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

I think this is where you buy fake in bulk http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...183863786.html
Old 03-13-16, 01:48 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

sorry, lexus2000, when you say exactly identical to yours are you talking about a cursory glance and comparing to a general memory of how they look or are you hyper analyzing each section of the plug? do you remember if the washer was firm in place or was able to move? if anyone has one of these i'd appreciate if you'd compare or post a pic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: genuine or fake toyota spark plugs?