RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

High Mileage Oil discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 12:40 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
It isnt necessairily a waste of $. Especially if like most of the owners of the rx on here you have more than 75,000 miles; then it probably is a good idea to use high mileage oil because as i already mentioned it keeps the seals "in tact" so to speak. I dont think it would last the remainder of the vehicle's life; espeically if the vehicle gets put under "heavy stress usage"; where it possibly could shorten the life of the gaskets and/or other seals. Now; if however you do replace the gaskets(like valve cover gaskets, etc) then initially u might be able to get away with running regular oil or synthetic(if you really choose to spend that kinda extra $ on oil changes) for another 75,000 miles at which point u may have to switch to high mileage oil.
So we agree, new seals don't require high mileage oil.
Old 03-06-16, 01:18 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
here the price is the same so almost a no brainer.
It depends on where you live. Some places have a more significant spread in price than others. For someone who is driving a 16+ year old car (some of which I'm sure are new used owners), they are probably pinching pennies. If they have gone through the work of replacing their seals, the few bucks saved may buy them a better filter or a bite to eat. I'd rather a better filter than the HM oil in this case.

We all seem to agree that new seals don't require high-mileage oil; what we don't agree on is the perceived benefit vs. cost of using it anyway with new seals. My point is, the HM oil isn't necessary with new seals, so also is the extra expense associated with it (from a mechanical point of view). If it makes someone feel better using it in a brand new car or with brand new seals as a way of keeping them intact for an unspecified, untested amount of time/mileage, I fully support that.
Old 03-07-16, 06:04 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Gents:

I have moved the discussion on oil to a different thread. Lets try to keep this one a DIY and its followup.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Salim
Can you correct the spelling of "mileage" please?
Old 03-08-16, 03:16 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAB
Take my advice: I am an experienced DIYer. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs, front and rear, and the rear valve cover. Front are a piece of cake. I will never do the rear again. PITA. Let the dealer do it.
so i mentioned that my mechanic said my valve cover was leaking oil last year. i checked my dipstick today and there was no oil on it at all, but the low oil light hasn't come on! i checked around the front cover and can see a lot of oil around that area.

if the front is leaking, does that mean the rear generally needs to be replaced as well (and requires the removal of the intake manifold?)? how long does this DIY take and what's the level of difficulty? i'll also be changing my spark plugs while i'm at it.
Old 03-08-16, 03:18 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

if i change my oil to high mileage could it solve my leaky gaskets?
Old 03-08-16, 04:26 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

so i mentioned that my mechanic said my valve cover was leaking oil last year. i checked my dipstick today and there was no oil on it at all, but the low oil light hasn't come on! i checked around the front cover and can see a lot of oil around that area.

if the front is leaking, does that mean the rear generally needs to be replaced as well (and requires the removal of the intake manifold?)? how long does this DIY take and what's the level of difficulty? i'll also be changing my spark plugs while i'm at it.
Your car is old and the valve cover gaskets are fried. Change out both of them. Read through this thread to see whats involved. DIY time would be contingent on your wrenching experience and comfort level.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lve-cover.html

Fwiw, the first time i attempted it, it took a full day with many breaks and taking pictures. Second time 3 hours.

if i change my oil to high mileage could it solve my leaky gaskets?
Not your valve cover gaskets. But may condition your rear main seal gasket and others.

Btw..Check you oil level regularly...never wait for a low level oil light to come on. If it ever comes on, it is too late and your car will be a paper weight.

Last edited by fastnoypi; 03-08-16 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-08-16, 06:21 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The RX300 does not have a low oil light, it has a low oil pressure light. There is a difference; you definitely do not want to see a low oil pressure light.
Old 03-08-16, 04:52 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Your car is old and the valve cover gaskets are fried. Change out both of them. Read through this thread to see whats involved. DIY time would be contingent on your wrenching experience and comfort level.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lve-cover.html

Fwiw, the first time i attempted it, it took a full day with many breaks and taking pictures. Second time 3 hours.

Not your valve cover gaskets. But may condition your rear main seal gasket and others.

Btw..Check you oil level regularly...never wait for a low level oil light to come on. If it ever comes on, it is too late and your car will be a paper weight.
i read an article that said that "seeping" is normal. i don't see any puddles beneath my car so i think i'd qualify for that. what do you guys think? will this eventually require a fix and are there any consequences of leaving this alone for now? i've got 150K miles right now.

also what are your thoughts on a thickener like stop leak?
Old 03-25-16, 02:30 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

anyone offer input on seeping vs. leaking and at what point gaskets need to be replaced? TIA.
Old 03-25-16, 04:37 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

i read an article that said that "seeping" is normal. i don't see any puddles beneath my car so i think i'd qualify for that. what do you guys think? will this eventually require a fix and are there any consequences of leaving this alone for now? i've got 150K miles right now.

also what are your thoughts on a thickener like stop leak?
anyone offer input on seeping vs. leaking and at what point gaskets need to be replaced? TIA.
IMO..seeping is leaking. Do not use a thickener, you will clog up your ocv solenoids.
If you are due for sparkplugs, you might as well do your valve cover gaskets and sparkplug seals at the same time. You will have all the space in the world to torque your plugs correctly instead of blindly at a weird angle.

It will be good for another 100k+ . As mentioned in a previous reply...your car is old and the valve cover gaskets are fried.
Old 03-26-16, 08:23 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
IMO..seeping is leaking. Do not use a thickener, you will clog up your ocv solenoids.
If you are due for sparkplugs, you might as well do your valve cover gaskets and sparkplug seals at the same time. You will have all the space in the world to torque your plugs correctly instead of blindly at a weird angle.

It will be good for another 100k+ . As mentioned in a previous reply...your car is old and the valve cover gaskets are fried.
i am due for spark plugs. gaskets sound a little intimidating to me right now, and while i could probably do the front, i am hesitant to tackle the rear. that and i've been spending too much time on repair work recently and need to focus on other things. reason i asked about seeping is that someone said their gasket still leaked after replacement, hence the "seeping is normal." not sure if this will be the case but i'd hate to go through all the work to get the same result. i have some decisions to make -- you are right in that it would make spark plugs easier and i SHOULD change them in the near future -- i just don't have the time or energy for more work right now.
Old 03-26-16, 08:35 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

on another note, i finally changed my oil today. took me awhile and for some reason the oil filter that i finally broke loose a couple weeks ago using the adjustable wrench once again would not come loose by hand (even though i had lightly retightened it by hand last time). i noticed a lot of crap in my oil pan (similar to what it looks like when one mines for gold) after i poured the used oil into a container but thought nothing of it at first. not until later did i think it might be metal shavings and decided to check the garbage to examine what they were. luckily they were not metal (i used a magnet to make sure) but looked something like tree bark that crumbled if i squeezed them. anyone know what this could be and if this is normal?
Old 04-20-16, 11:59 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

is there any benefit in dropping the pan? is there a screen or something that might need to be cleaned or inspected if oil changes were severely neglected?
Old 04-21-16, 10:36 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

so high mileage only conditions the seals and does nothing else? i.e. if one were to replace with new seals then he should just use the regular synthetic? supposedly my car is leaking oil but there are no puddles beneath my car. if i use high mileage will i no longer need to replace the seals/gaskets?
About a year and a half ago my 99 RX started leaking some oil. From where it was coming from, it could have been the main seal but I'm not sure. I started using Pennzoil High Mileage 5w-30 and the leak stopped and never came back to date. Granted, I may have to address this going forward, but for now I am good to go.
Old 04-24-16, 01:28 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
About a year and a half ago my 99 RX started leaking some oil. From where it was coming from, it could have been the main seal but I'm not sure. I started using Pennzoil High Mileage 5w-30 and the leak stopped and never came back to date. Granted, I may have to address this going forward, but for now I am good to go.
how many places could it leak from? i've only heard of the valve cover needing a new gasket. i just used hm a few weeks ago so i'm deciding whether or not to change the gaskets.

Quick Reply: High Mileage Oil discussion